JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
See here^, this is why I think you and I have some kind of "Connection". Early on, 2012 maybe, I was looking at guns at Kieths. I liked what I saw in the case, no other information, a CZ SP01 in .40. I bought it knowing nothing about .40. It's surprising how much recoil that little .40 has. I like the caliber and it's one of the handguns I can do pretty good with. I could never have a compact or sub compact in .40 though. Not a good choice for a newb, or someone recoil sensitive (me) I'd say.

I feel like I've completed a feat of strength when I've been to the range and gone through 40 rnds in the M1 if/when my shoulder doesn't ache when I get home! I do wear a poothy pad though.
Next get together I'll let you shoot my SBS cannon. Only 3" buckshot though! :p

C37A8CC0-CAE1-4C42-96DC-F0C541BFECBB.jpeg

So, to clarify... Not totally new to shooting, been at it steady for about year and half or so.. Just got into it on his own and no formal instruction and im guessing a poor grip and arm extension simply just caught up... Go easy in case he finds this serching solutions. Overall its been great to watch someone new get into shooting.
I just havent experienced it myself so just wasnt certain bump firing would be possible with a pistol, but now that I know Im more confident giving advice to work on proper grip and arm extension.
As always, lots of good experienced shooters in this forum to gather knowledge from and much appreciated.
So this appears to be an operator issue..........With all due respect, some one on one training would go a long way to make this a better experience for him.

So this appears to be an operator issue..........With all due respect, some one on one training would go a long way to make this a better experience for him.
Ive suggested professional training several times but like many people some want to figure things out on their own. Im not really any different, went years befor taking a class but what an eye opener it was.

M1A or M1carbine??

40rds of .308 would be plenty enough for me.
THE M1, Garand. :D
Next get together I'll let you shoot my SBS cannon. Only 3" buckshot though! :p

View attachment 1142800
In your dreams? :s0114:

I've seen you show that before I think. Man, if that's your thing, more power to you. It looks about as fun stepping on a rust nail to me though. You know the kind, goes through the sole of your converse and in the bottom of you foot right in the middle? About 2" behind the base of your toes? Yeahhh. I'd watch you though!

I'm not sure if there is anything lost in translation here, so please bear with me.

As I understand it, Jim, the OP writes that he is on the phone to a complete novice and he is talking him through actually shooting a new-to-him handgun that he has never shot before? At the same time as talking?

I'm flabbergasted - I truly cannot think of anything that is more ridiculous and downright dangerous.

I've seen you show that before I think. Man, if that's your thing, more power to you. It looks about as fun stepping on a rust nail to me though. You know the kind, goes through the sole of your converse and in the bottom of you foot right in the middle? About 2" behind the base of your toes? Yeahhh. I'd watch you though!
I've only shot one round of 3" through it so far. I don't think I plan on doing it again.

I'm not sure if there is anything lost in translation here, so please bear with me.

As I understand it, Jim, the OP writes that he is on the phone to a complete novice and he is talking him through actually shooting a new-to-him handgun that he has never shot before? At the same time as talking?

I'm flabbergasted - I truly cannot think of anything that is more ridiculous and downright dangerous.
No, to clarify a friend called me asking for advice on something that happened.

Trial by (remote) fire.
At least it's not a 105mm artillery piece or a 50BMG machine gun.

Trial by (remote) fire.
At least it's not a 105mm artillery piece or a 50BMG machine gun.
One would hope that the people firing a 105mm piece have actually seen one and been trained in its use, at first hand, rather than remotely. The same goes for the Ma Duece.

Both sets of people are likely military, with all that implies. Just to add that I've been actively involved in remote artillery shooting, but it was all carried out by fully-trained gunners, not some flappy-handed klutz on the end of a phone line. It's called a Call for fire and Fire Mission.

I'm proud to say that I carried the 95 pound 155mm 'bullets' for all six shots.

1646170102932.png

Anyhow, enough from me on the subject.

One would hope that the people firing a 105mm piece have actually seen one and been trained in its use, at first hand, rather than remotely. The same goes for the Ma Duece.

Both sets of people are likely military, with all that implies. Just to add that I've been actively involved in remote artillery shooting, but it was all carried out by fully-trained gunners, not some flappy-handed klutz on the end of a phone line. It's called a Call for fire and Fire Mission.

I'm proud to say that I carried the 95 pound 155mm 'bullets' for all six shots.

View attachment 1142932

Anyhow, enough from me on the subject.
Now that's a six shooter I can get behind!

Ive suggested professional training several times but like many people some want to figure things out on their own. Im not really any different, went years befor taking a class but what an eye opener it was.
I was just too cheap.

Besides, I already know everything. LOL

Now I'm confused. I think we lost the connection...

Now I'm confused. I think we lost the connection...
I was referring to shooting the M1 Garand/.30-06. You asked "M1A or .30 Carbine" and indicated .308 is enough for you. Unless I'm confused? It happens. And "In your dreams" was referring to RENO offer to let me shoot that nasty, little, stubby shot gun. 12 gauge I'm affeered. (Shudder)

Maybe all he's ever shot is DA with a DA revolver.. I've shot many 10's of thousands w same. If I pick up a certain pocket 9 of mine after flogging my wheel blaster it's easy to double/let one get away. But at least they're all on target even at 20 yards. That thing is stupid easy to shoot fast and well.
Hmmm.... Model and pic???

Reason I ask is that my wife's Taurus 738 pocket pistol is a real beotch to shoot. For one thing, two fingers is all you can get on the grip.

I was referring to shooting the M1 Garand/.30-06. You asked "M1A or .30 Carbine" and indicated .308 is enough for you. Unless I'm confused? It happens. And "In your dreams" was referring to RENO offer to let me shoot that nasty, little, stubby shot gun. 12 gauge I'm affeered. (Shudder)
Ok... that explains it.

Reno blocked me after we bickered about a Memorial Day post I made a couple years ago. (to him it was off-topic, but in my mind it was very related.) So, all after "M1 Garand" was missing context due to me not being able to see his post you must have quoted.

Garand is .30-06.... Yeah, 20rds is enough for me.

M1A is .308.

BTW, wife had a M1Carbine... sporterized with a Monte Carlo stock and a Weaver 4x scope... sweet all-day shooter!!!

I let someone who was "an experienced shooter" have a turn with my S&W 500. When he touched it off it doubled, sending one through the range roof. No one was hurt but that's when I heard it's a fairly common issue for someone with average strength or less wrist muscles. So now, when someone wants to give it a try I load just a single round. Stuff happens and most of the time people get lucky but when it's preventable, why take the chance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top