JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my father just passed, in his motor cycle shop there is a hand gun, hr would never steal but he would also never ask questions or do paper work. This gun is in California, Washington and Oregon both told me they wouldn't do checks on an out of state gun. I'm not going to call and lie saying I have it (can only imagine the backlash for "refusing" to turn over a stolen firearm) I'm not going to take it on a road trip not knowing it's status. Also since it's a non registered firearm in California that in it self is illegal and stolen or not I sure they require it be turned in. Any ideas?

Did you call the OSP number to check the serial number?

If they ask questions say you might be buying it and want to run the serial number before paying for a background check.

FICS Instant Check (And Stolen Gun Checks) 1-800-432-5059 (For FFL Dealers and Private Party transfers)

Local Alternate FICS Instant Check Number (For use when cell phone does not allow an 800 number) 503-585-6245 (For FFL Dealers and Private Party transfers)

http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/ID/pages/fics.aspx

Did you call the OSP number to check the serial number?

If they ask questions say you might be buying it and want to run the serial number before paying for a background check.

FICS Instant Check (And Stolen Gun Checks) 1-800-432-5059 (For FFL Dealers and Private Party transfers)

Local Alternate FICS Instant Check Number (For use when cell phone does not allow an 800 number) 503-585-6245 (For FFL Dealers and Private Party transfers)

http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/ID/pages/fics.aspx
Yeah that's who I called they said no dice if I didn't have the gun in the state, I hate to turn a perfectly good gun into commiefornia to be destroyed simply because it had the misfortune to end up in a awful state but also don't want to do anything to run afoul of the law. Any leos or ffls out there kind enough to help would be greatly appreciated

Boy, you are in one huge pile of trouble now! Too bad there's no Constitutional Amendment that would protect us citizens from such infringements to our God Given Rights

Boy, you are in one huge pile of trouble now! Too bad there's no Constitutional Amendment that would protect us citizens from such infringements to our God Given Rights
Right, all I want is my dead fathers belongings without causing problems for his widow or getting arrested. How dare I

Right, all I want is my dead fathers belongings without causing problems for his widow or getting arrested. How dare I

Right, that's what you pay taxes for after all, for the privilege of paying more taxes and living in fear of prison/death if caught not following arbitrary laws that violate the Constitution

Yeah I get that it's their policy to not check something that is not in a jurisdiction where they can go retrieve the firearm if there's a problem with it but I don't want it if there's a problem (the reason for calling) it will get turned in when I get a chance to go down to pick up his tools this summer, even of it was in state the last thing I want to do is have them jamming up his hysterical widow about something that she doesn't know anything about

There's a lot of info about this issue in California.
Here is some that I found, and all of them recommend that you take the firearms safety certificate before transferring the gun into your possession.
There were a lot of guns not registered before 1991.

Family transfers

California law exempts certain in-family transfers from the above FFL requirements. Covered are transfers from parent to child or child to parent and grandparent to grandchild or grandchild to grandparent – as long as all involved live in California, all children and grandchildren are 18 or older (21 for handguns) and no more than five such family transfers are made each year.

When weapons are transferred, recipients must first obtain a firearm safety certificate (issued by a licensed dealer after a written test is passed). Also a new state law that took effect this year requires those receiving any firearm (including rifles and shotguns) have general firearm safety certificates.

In family transfers, a recipient may pick up a bequeathed firearm immediately (no waiting period necessary) and take it home. A report of the transfer (Operation of Law or Intrafamilial Firearm Transaction Report), including which family members and firearms are involved, must be delivered to the California Department of Justice within 30 days of the transfer (online, oag.ca.gov/firearms).

Not exempt from the FFL requirement are weapon transfers involving stepparents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles or in-laws.

Transfers between spouses or domestic partners likewise must go through dealers, and the receiving spouse or partner must have a safety certificate. A firearm may only have one registered owner, who must go through a background check.

The safety-certificate requirement does not apply to estate executors or administrators in temporary possession of firearms pending distribution. But trustees get no such exemption and must, until the state law is changed, obtain certificates.

Yeah I'm familiar with commiefornias insane laws, this gun is post 91 (wasn't even invented then) not registered (I'm 99% sure it was bought private party in Or 2 years ago), he left no will, I don't live in California, it will be a long uphill battle, but before I even try I just wanted to know if the thing is stolen

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews