JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In Oregon you can gift your spouse or your kids a firearm without doing bgc. LAPD is part of California and so their rules are different.
The 4473 is a federal form, these are federal laws. You can gift firearms to family members in California as well. You cannot buy a firearm for another person which is subject to a 4473 without it being a federal crime. This is the definition of a straw purchase. The person need not be a prohibited person. As I noted (and posted prior) there are exceptions for "gifts" but many FFLs find this a grey area and do not want to run afoul of the ATF.

When a person walks into a store and announces, "I'm buying this gun for my husband," some stores will not sell to them even if they explain that what the really meant was, "I'm buying this gun. I'm going to choose to give it to my husband for his birthday next month." Subtle but important difference. Words matter.

ATF instructions posted prior:
A person is also the actual transferee/buyer if he/she is legitimately purchasing the firearm as a bona fide gift for a third party. A gift is not bona fide if another person offered or gave the person completing this form money, service(s), or item(s) of value to acquire the firearm for him/her, or if the other person is prohibited by law from receiving or possessing the firearm.​

Not saying this is how it should be, but people have been federally convicted though these types of purchases that you and I would look at as silly, especially between spouses who have joint accounts and community property.

Does Oregon have a spouse no background check transfer exception?
If so, lesson learned and do that next time instead of all the extra red tape.

But man a wife that can't read and write. Atf federal rules says only 2 non store witnesses are needed to assist fill it out.
You can try to recruit some random customers in the gun store. Gun community will usually stick up for each other

Just remember that everything someone says before "but" is BS. Again, I don't care on my end what that individual wanted to do with it. I don't even know if he passed his BGC. My role was finished once the 4473 was filled out and answers/info verified. Maybe he wanted to protect his home? Maybe he wanted to fondle it and listen to Kenny G.

It's the store's right to refuse business if they choose to. They did not choose to.
In that hypothetical case the blind would be able to cite Americans with disabilities 14th amendment

In that hypothetical case the blind would be able to cite Americans with disabilities 14th amendment
I don't know what you think was hypothetical about my post. The event I mentioned where a blind man purchased a rifle absolutely happened.

Unless you're saying the store hypothetically refused to do business with him? Moot point because they didn't. His money looked pretty darn green, I reckon.

That is the definition of a straw purchase and will land you in jail. If you purchase a gun FOR another person (even if they can lawfully buy the gun themselves) you just violated the same law as Hunter Biden, lying on a 4473.

Ask the LAPD officer who bought his dad (legal to own guns) a Kimber because he could get a better deal through the department. There are tons of other examples of this out there (often by cops). Yes, if you purchase a firearm and then decide to gift it to a qualified family member later then this may qualify (not legal advice). Some believe that YOU could purchase the gun with the intent that it is a gift (for a lawful possessor) but this is murky.

Respectfully, some folks here don't have any insight as to the issues larger stores like Sportsmans and the big C have to go through with some customers. They get frequent straw purchase attempts. What one store does can effect the entire company. They get the people who LGS's won't sell to. They get good gun buyers and lots of folks who are not "gun people" or think they can slip through the cracks of gun buying. Then they get bashed because the won't do a 3 day release. I hear the stories from someone who works at a large store.
The fool could have easily kept the kimber for a month and then gift it. And I bet he self incriminate himself too and said he was exploiting the department pricing when he should have asked for a lawyer and said he just didn't like the Kimberly and gave it away

So.... It sounds like that guy can see well enough to fill out a 4473.
A LOT of people who meet the legal definition of "blind" can read just fine. This seems to be causing confusion as many think "blind" means they can see nothing. I "think" the cut off is something like 20/400 that can not be corrected to be legally blind. Someone with that vision can still read and write on forms normally.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top