JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just made a new purchase at Sportsman Warehouse the other day and was told for the first time that I cannot ask for help when filling out the forms. Which is fine as I dont need it

HOWEVER

My wife has a certified disability that pertains to reading and writing. Not gonna go in detail but a childhood trauma makes certain reading and writing pretty difficult for her. As her husband of 27 years Im usually present to help her understand things and has worked for all our years. I ONLY ask the questions presented and might have to word it a bit different for her to understand, but I NEVER answer for her.

Anyways Sportsman Warehouse says for her to buy a firearm SHE has to pick 3 COMPLETE STRANGERS (NO family or friends) to help her read the information being presented. Isnt this a gross violation of HIPAA? I mean as a stranger would you just go up and do this without a reasonable explanation?

Anywho I'm just going to purchase the gun then transfer/gift it to her as in Oregon Im allowed to do so. Is there any forms I need to fill out? The legalese is a little bland for myself to comprehend lol.

Thanks in advance

Nope you're good. My wife carry's a gun that I bought under my name.

I also wouldn't buy from sportsman's. I would go to a smaller gun shop. Less politics and retail "rules."

So this isnt a state law I couldnt find then? This is strictly Sportsman politics? Interesting.

Yea I have a creditcard from them I got like 5 years ago, think Ill pay it off and go vivist a mom and pop store then if we gonna be treated this way.

Thanks everyone

Ditto just go to another shop. If it was me? I would go in first, ask to speak to owner or whoever is in charge. Tell them what you just said here and ask if they have a problem with this. If anything they "may" want to know if they can run you. Then they can clearly see you are not using the Wife to buy for you. I am guessing this is what scared the other place off. They are afraid you can't buy so you are having the Wife buy for you. As mentioned are you legally married? You know your Wife is not prohibited? If yes you can just buy any gun you want her to have.

Much as I like shopping for boots , knives and flashlights at sportsman's, I'd never buy a gun from them.
Yea this rubbed me the wrong way. Its the principle of the matter. Anyone know of any good mom and pops in the Albany/Corvallis area you'd recommend. Gonna throw them some new business.

By the way love this place so far, ya'll are QUICK

So this isnt a state law I couldnt find then? This is strictly Sportsman politics? Interesting.

Yea I have a creditcard from them I got like 5 years ago, think Ill pay it off and go vivist a mom and pop store then if we gonna be treated this way.

Thanks everyone
What the FFL is afraid of is called a straw purchase. That you are not eligible so are having someone else buy for you. Especially when this is going to be done in public where others would see and hear it.

Thanks everyone
My guess is it's a corporate thing, if you have a small shop with a couple of employees you can have pretty lose rules that you trust you and your staff to follow. If you have hundreds or even thousands of employees and sometimes somebody from another department might have to fill in you probably need tighter rules for CYA reasons.
A great reason to avoid mega corporations whenever you can

Ditto just go to another shop. If it was me? I would go in first, ask to speak to owner or whoever is in charge. Tell them what you just said here and ask if they have a problem with this. If anything they "may" want to know if they can run you. Then they can clearly see you are not using the Wife to buy for you. I am guessing this is what scared the other place off. They are afraid you can't buy so you are having the Wife buy for you. As mentioned are you legally married? You know your Wife is not prohibited? If yes you can just buy any gun you want her to have.
Yea we both hold concealed licenses and have spotless records. She already has a Ar7 in her name she got 5 years ago to carry in her hiking pack now she wants something a bit more compact for everyday

What the FFL is afraid of is called a straw purchase. That you are not eligible so are having someone else buy for you. Especially when this is going to be done in public where others would see and hear it.
I can understand that to a point especially if I was completely changing what I was reading to her lol

Yea we both hold concealed licenses and have spotless records. She already has a Ar7 in her name she got 5 years ago to carry in her hiking pack now she wants something a bit more compact for everyday
Your CC permit should work great. Explain what you said here, show them your permit and hers, and ask. If you are speaking with an owner or manager of some shop it should be no problem at all.

I can understand that to a point especially if I was completely changing what I was reading to her lol
Its not that you are reading it to her that would scare them. Its that you "look" like you are buying the gun and having her do the back ground check. Dealing with a LARGE retailer they are FAR more likely to say no to this. Any FFL shop it should be no problem at all.

Nope you're good. My wife carry's a gun that I bought under my name.

I also wouldn't buy from sportsman's. I would go to a smaller gun shop. Less politics and retail "rules."
This right here. My wife also carries a gun that I purchased some time back. And ditto ... I would not purchase a firearm from Sportsman's. I have bought some cool stuff from them but never a gun.

Not to mention the fact that (per your initial post) you just bought a firearm there and thus they are well aware that you are not a prohibited purchaser (I.e. not in need of a straw purchase…).

Sportsmans is the debel. My wife wanted a Bersa thunder they had on sale. We got there and she picked out the one she wanted and did the paperwork when it was time to pay for it I whipped out our credit card, the only one we've got and it's in my name. She uses it all the time with nary an issue. Just like most other married couples do. When I complained they called the State Police on me and we were walked out by them. No other thing happened. It was a violation of store policy and the staters were there on other business presumably. That was the Albany store so we drove over to the Salem store and I told my wife to go to the other end of the gun counter and look at .22's while I bought the Bersa. Bought the gun with no problems and when we got back in the car I set the gun in her lap and said happy birthday babe.

Last Edited:
I've been one of those random people helping a disabled person with their paperwork. He was a completely blind man but wanted a rifle. Since he quite literally can't read or write I was more than happy to assist him. So yes, in fact, random people will help your wife if asked.

This was at a cabela's and I got a $10 gift card for my trouble from them. Which was not usable toward a firearm or ammunition. They have a policy in place for that kind of thing.

Last Edited:
We got there and she picked out the one she wanted and did the paperwork when it was time to pay for it I whipped out our credit card, the only one we've got and it's in my name. She uses it all the time with nary an issue. Just like most other married couples do. When I complained they called the State Police on me and we were walked out by them.
That's an interesting situation I've never thought about. I would've thought so long as she could ID herself as the buyer, the method of payment shouldn't make a difference but that's just me.

I have used my wife's CC several times on my Gunbroker account without comment. Her name pops up first in the list of remembered accounts on the PC so I use it out of convenience. But she added me as a secondary on the card so if I wanted to take the time, I could type my own name in.

My experience is, the bigger the store, the bigger the rigmarole of paperwork buying the gun. You buy a gun at Cabela's, it's an hour of your time, they have three people review the documents, and once in a while, they still make mistakes. You'd think filling out the 4473 on their tablet would speed things up but that isn't the case. I go to my little, local pawn shop for incoming stuff, I'm out of there in 15 minutes, tops, and that's with filling out the paper form and waiting for the NICS call.

I've never bought a gun at Sportsman's Warehouse for the simple reason that understaffing there causes everything to take forever. Last time I was in Cabela's, there were employees everywhere, not that it speeds up the gun buying process. But Sportsmans is always understaffed. And if you get behind someone buying a fishing license at the single checkstand, you're screwed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top