JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so I found a rifle at a gun shop while I was out of town with some freinds that aren't so pro-gun. Anyways I don't feel the need to press the issue with them, but it was a really great deal.

Now what are the shipping laws?

Can I buy the rifle, do the paperwork, then have the gunshop mail me the rifle so I don't have to bring it home in the car?

Or do I have to walk out of there with it?

I know a individual can ship a firearm to another individual within the same state, but how about a FFL?

I'm not a lawyer but I think they could mail it to you provided you've already filled out the 4473 and been approved (and paid for it of course). Folks can mail guns to a FFL for repairs or other things and get them shipped back to them. I am under the impression that a FFL recipient needs to be involved when the ownership changes hands. This is provided the FFL and you are in the same state.
Your best bet is to ask the gun shop if they'd do that and what they'd charge. It's their rears on the line so they'll be able to tell you for sure if that's possible and if they'd do it (and maybe you could talk them into shipping it for free if you are polite :)).

Unfortunately if you are buying from out of state, at a licensed dealer- you may find that he will only sell the rifle to you if it is then delivered by him to a licensed gun dealer in your state. Then when you get home, you would fill out the 4473 at your dealer's shop.

Ask him if he'll ship it. But if these people really are family friends then they'll understand that they should not hold as much power over you that it seems they do. Just buy the thing and walk out of the store with it.

The key word here is "friends". If they are truly friends than it shouldnt matter to them what you buy or do and should support you in any decision you make. If buying a firearm is going to put a strain on your friendship that you should get new friends as these seem to want to control your life rather than share in it. Life is way too short to worry about what others may think of how you choose to live your life, if you want it buy it and be happy.

I agree with Deadeye.
Since when does friendship only go one way? Are they your friends? Are you their friend? Isn't this relationship symmetrical?
You aren't demanding they buy a gun are you?

There should be no problem shipping the rifle to yourself, but you might ask the gunshop to ship it for you. Or ask the ATF, or the state police.

If your "Friends" are uncomfortable driving you around with your newly-bought gun, they they should offer to pay to have it shipped for you.

I assume that the real reason you're asking these questions is that you guys are in one vehicle, and that vehicle is not yours, right? The owner/driver of the vehicle does have a say into what goes into the vehicle and what does not.

You might ask them if you buy a cheap plastic hard case for it and lock it then put it in the trunk would they mind. A case could be cheaper then shipping and you would have the case.

I don't tell my friends that the can't collect stamps or coins. Whether they drink or smoke is their business. So, I don't want them to tell me what I can buy. If I was with someone in their vehicle and they wouldn't allow me to bring a firearm along, I would pay for it and come back the next day with my own vehicle to pick it up. And, those "friends" could take a long walk off of a short pier!

Who's car is it and who has the keys? :s0114:
One of the great things about true friends is they don't judge you. As long as you don't plan on leaning out the window shooting road signs, buy the gun or find new friends.

I am amailman and know that you cannot ship thru the mail except some kind of collector stuff and you have to have all your paperwork approved in advance. I would try UPS. but bottom line , put it in the trunk, your freinds do not have to ride in there!

Yes its not my car and I never asked if I could bring a gun back with me nor would I. I know they are uncomfortable around guns, and that is fine with me. It would be different with different freinds.

I know I can ship it to myself threw the USPS, I think I will try this route.

Thanks for all your help. and calling me a pussy.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top