Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need help answering a question.

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by jbuck, Feb 10, 2011.

1. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

Ok so I found a rifle at a gun shop while I was out of town with some freinds that aren't so pro-gun. Anyways I don't feel the need to press the issue with them, but it was a really great deal.

Now what are the shipping laws?

Can I buy the rifle, do the paperwork, then have the gunshop mail me the rifle so I don't have to bring it home in the car?

Or do I have to walk out of there with it?

I know a individual can ship a firearm to another individual within the same state, but how about a FFL?

2. VW_Factor

VW_Factor Woodburn Oregon Active Member

Tell 'em to stick it, and buy it and take it home anyway..

Yeah.. I don't have many friends.. :(

haha

3. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

Now if that isn't a option, they are some pretty good friends of the family

4. I agree with VW. Buy the rifle, they don't have to be pro-gun to be okay with you buying what you like.

5. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

Yeah you don't tell them to wear boxers over briefs.

6. That depends on if you have to see them in their underwear.

7. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

Can I buy the rifle, do the paperwork, then have the gunshop mail me the rifle?

8. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm not a lawyer but I think they could mail it to you provided you've already filled out the 4473 and been approved (and paid for it of course). Folks can mail guns to a FFL for repairs or other things and get them shipped back to them. I am under the impression that a FFL recipient needs to be involved when the ownership changes hands. This is provided the FFL and you are in the same state.
    Your best bet is to ask the gun shop if they'd do that and what they'd charge. It's their rears on the line so they'll be able to tell you for sure if that's possible and if they'd do it (and maybe you could talk them into shipping it for free if you are polite :)).

9. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Unfortunately if you are buying from out of state, at a licensed dealer- you may find that he will only sell the rifle to you if it is then delivered by him to a licensed gun dealer in your state. Then when you get home, you would fill out the 4473 at your dealer's shop.

10. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

No it is a dealer in my home state. I live here, I just want to know if he can ship it to me after I fill out the paperwork.

11. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

Ask him if he'll ship it. But if these people really are family friends then they'll understand that they should not hold as much power over you that it seems they do. Just buy the thing and walk out of the store with it.

12. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

The key word here is "friends". If they are truly friends than it shouldnt matter to them what you buy or do and should support you in any decision you make. If buying a firearm is going to put a strain on your friendship that you should get new friends as these seem to want to control your life rather than share in it. Life is way too short to worry about what others may think of how you choose to live your life, if you want it buy it and be happy.

13. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

I agree with Deadeye.
    Since when does friendship only go one way? Are they your friends? Are you their friend? Isn't this relationship symmetrical?
    You aren't demanding they buy a gun are you?

There should be no problem shipping the rifle to yourself, but you might ask the gunshop to ship it for you. Or ask the ATF, or the state police.

14. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

If your "Friends" are uncomfortable driving you around with your newly-bought gun, they they should offer to pay to have it shipped for you.

I assume that the real reason you're asking these questions is that you guys are in one vehicle, and that vehicle is not yours, right? The owner/driver of the vehicle does have a say into what goes into the vehicle and what does not.

15. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You might ask them if you buy a cheap plastic hard case for it and lock it then put it in the trunk would they mind. A case could be cheaper then shipping and you would have the case.

16. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I don't tell my friends that the can't collect stamps or coins. Whether they drink or smoke is their business. So, I don't want them to tell me what I can buy. If I was with someone in their vehicle and they wouldn't allow me to bring a firearm along, I would pay for it and come back the next day with my own vehicle to pick it up. And, those "friends" could take a long walk off of a short pier!

17. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Eastern Oregon Well-Known Member

Who's car is it and who has the keys? :laugh:
    One of the great things about true friends is they don't judge you. As long as you don't plan on leaning out the window shooting road signs, buy the gun or find new friends.

18. marty8587

marty8587 NE Portland Active Member

I am amailman and know that you cannot ship thru the mail except some kind of collector stuff and you have to have all your paperwork approved in advance. I would try UPS. but bottom line , put it in the trunk, your freinds do not have to ride in there!

19. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

Yes its not my car and I never asked if I could bring a gun back with me nor would I. I know they are uncomfortable around guns, and that is fine with me. It would be different with different freinds.

I know I can ship it to myself threw the USPS, I think I will try this route.

Thanks for all your help. and calling me a pussy.

20. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Are the Felons or something?