JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good lord are they that big of babies? thats sad.. id say get new friends... but thats just me... like another member said... perhaps thats why i dont have many friends? lol

Can it be dis-assembled in any manner? Perhaps removing the stock and walking out with two separate pieces might help them feel less like you're transporting a functional weapon in their car.

Or might they believe you if you explain that you really, really respect their feelings and promise not to shoot anyone?

I am amailman and know that you cannot ship thru the mail except some kind of collector stuff and you have to have all your paperwork approved in advance.

There is no paperwork or approval needed for long guns. You just can't send it loaded, or to a prohibited person, or in violation of local laws.

From the Domestic Mail Manual:
DMM 601 Mailability

12.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 12.1.1e and 12.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 12.1.1e.

12.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice.

Unless your friends have a major disposition against firearms, I'd think they would allow it in the car. Tell them you'll even lock the action. If they don't want to do that, buy it and mail it to yourself <broken link removed> . If you have to mail it, be sure to take plenty of pictures to send them to remind them of your trip. I'd recommend one with the postage bill and a certain finger:s0114:.

No, you're not a pussy just because you respect your friends' wishes and tender feelings. You might, however, be a pussy for another wholly unrelated reason yet to be divulged.

I have close relatives who are the same way - not judgmental, but scared stiff every time they see a firearm. And they know I carry, too - but as long as it's out of sight, they have no problems with me in their home, out on the town with them, or whatever.

I recall one late night in Old Town Portland when they seemed visibly relieved that they were with at least one sober, armed, and prepared guy.

So you never know - you might give it a chance, at least as a learning opportunity, not that it's your responsibility to broach the subject. But a little frankness, using the same words with them that you've used here in this thread, and who knows? Maybe they'll surprise you - in a good way.

I know I can ship it to myself threw the USPS, I think I will try this route.

Update us on your situation when you get out of jail.

Why would he go to jail for something legal, according to both the Domestic Mail Manual and the ATF?

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

And:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

I'm planning to get my FFL. The only problem I see with this scenario is that the FFL you're purchasing from may believe you're making a straw purchase if you ask him to mail it to you. That, and even many FFLs do not know the law precisely and err on the side of caution. It's amazing how many people who work at gun shops will fill you full of erroneous information and are not open to looking for primary sources.

Yes its not my car and I never asked if I could bring a gun back with me nor would I. I know they are uncomfortable around guns, and that is fine with me. It would be different with different freinds.

I know I can ship it to myself threw the USPS, I think I will try this route.

Thanks for all your help. and calling me a pussy.

Very respectable way to think.

Now about the deal.My kid is in SoCal and asked me to find him a deal on a shot gun.
$324 for a 870 at Sportco in Fife. + $30+- shipping to California + $20 transfer fee = the $379 he would pay for the same gun down there.

How good is the deal when you start shipping it? Guns ain't light.

No it is a dealer in my home state. I live here, I just want to know if he can ship it to me after I fill out the paperwork.

No, he will not. They can only ship to another FFL. Why don't you just go there without your friend? I think I have to be missing something here.

If you are buying it locally (and you are doing the paperwork as purchaser) and your kid an California is going to pay you back, it is a straw purchase and a federal felony. Even if you buy it as a bona fide gift, you are not legally allowed to transfer it to him if you reside in different states- another federal felony. You still have to take it to an FFL locally, have them transfer it to an FFL within California, and pay the transfer fee.

Shipping is not really all that expensive, but it sounds like you won't save any money. Plus, the time in the federal prison tends to balance out any potential savings.

If you are buying it locally (and you are doing the paperwork as purchaser) and your kid an California is going to pay you back, it is a straw purchase and a federal felony. Even if you buy it as a bona fide gift, you are not legally allowed to transfer it to him if you reside in different states- another federal felony. You still have to take it to an FFL locally, have them transfer it to an FFL within California, and pay the transfer fee.

Shipping is not really all that expensive, but it sounds like you won't save any money. Plus, the time in the federal prison tends to balance out any potential savings.

If I was going to do it illegal I wouldn't have added the TRANSFER FEE into the mix.
WTF??

You Straw Purchase believers are largely a bunch of paranoid people. There exists no law forbidding the purchase of a gun as a gift. I don't care if you are buying it for your boyfriend
--in my gunstore we won't make you come out of the closet either

I presume you are over 21, correct? In that case, you are an adult and DO NOT have to explain yourself to your friends. Stand up for yourself.

See the point he is trying to make is he has RESPECT for his friends and their ideals.
Kind of a foreign idea,I know.
So he is asking for an alternative. Now go back to what you are doing without any friends.

Like I am.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads