JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Poaching today has little excuse unless in an extreme case with all the food banks around but there was a time in the past when poaching was common and expected when times were tough. This doesn't appear to be one of those times so I don't mean to justify this one. During the depression lots of people were out of work and families relied on the extra meat to survive on. I'm alive today because my dad was able to bring in a little extra meat when we were as poor as church mice. My Dad (God bless him) told me once my Grandfather must have poached as many as 40 deer in his lifetime to feed his family during the 30's and early 40's. Times have changed and I don't condone poaching in todays world. (unless for extreme survival) From reading the original article I'm guessing there was only one tag issued and he gave it to the other person to legally kill the elk. What I don't understand is how he got even the one tag being a felon. I would think the state would do a cross check and see he's a felon and if they issued one tag why wouldn't they issue two tags....And if he had two tags why didn't he just use it.......Something is a mystery here. But being a person who doesn't get involved with other peoples business I would have just tagged the one and went home. This is a borderline case to me and a "technical" poaching that I wouldn't have interfered with it I knew I was legal on my terms. That's just me. šŸ˜

Last Edited:
What I don't understand is how he got even the one tag being a felon. I would think the state would do a cross check and see he's a felon and if they issued one tag why wouldn't they issue two tags.
I'm assuming this happened in the last two years? Laws have been suspended for two years. I'll guess that goes all the way to game laws. I'd doubt that even state police or county sheriffs would have had time to dink with something like this if they they hadn't been called. It's the state of The State. All under one feckless governor.

No poor person is going to be able to feed their family on poached deer to survive in todays world. That ship sailed many years ago. If one is hunting food they have the time and money to do so.

Consider yourself lucky...an Army buddy of mine had his firearm seized after he used it for a justifiable self-defense shooting....after it was all said and done, he eventually got the firearm back but every piece of the firearm was etched with the case number from an electric engraver.....talk about unsightly....

Consider yourself lucky...an Army buddy of mine had his firearm seized after he used it for a justifiable self-defense shooting....after it was all said and done, he eventually got the firearm back but every piece of the firearm was etched with the case number from an electric engraver.....talk about unsightly....

But he kept his freedom. Small price to pay in my opinion.

I despise 90 percent of poachers and I would report a poacher to law enforcement as quickly as if I witnessed a residential burglary. The idea that it is somehow "snitching" is very different than how I view the world and I have nothing in common with that type of person...
The 10 percent I "excuse" are where game laws were violated accidently; a hen pheasant being shot accidently, thinking the limit on rainbow trout on that body of water was 10 instead of six, ect and not trying to hide the fact... I was raised and I live half the time in a rural area of Washington state where people from larger cities travel to to hunt game birds, waterfowl and mule deer... I do remember being 20 years old and having more than one friend with a family and children who were dirt poor. There periods during the year If there was going to be meat on the table, it was only because something was being shot illegal... I personally tended to view that differently, but that is just me.

No poor person is going to be able to feed their family on poached deer to survive in todays world. That ship sailed many years ago. If one is hunting food they have the time and money to do so.
You obviously have never lived in Vernonia ..
I don't hunt for fun or myself , when I have killed animal's it was for people with families' that were hungry, i'll leave it at that.

Last Edited:
You are wrong on this one. When I was young, we were quite poor.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that you are okay with trespassing on private property as well. After all, those landowners don't own those deer. :rolleyes:

Folks can justify just about anything to themselves. There are tons of poor folks that don't poach or hunt yet somehow manage to survive.
*** Yep, they do "Manage to survive" on welfare, ***

I would rather them go out in the woods and poach than take money from everyone's pocket .

And if you think you own anything that live's because it crossed the "Property that you own " Until you owe back taxes, and big daddy take's it.
You are seriously delusional.

Last Edited:
*** Yep, they do "Manage to survive" on welfare, ***

I would rather them go out in the woods and poach than take money from everyone's pocket .

And if you think you own anything that live's because it crossed the "Property" that you "own" Until you owe back taxes.
If able-bodied enough to hunt, perhaps a better response than poaching would be to get a job and buy food?

Romanticize poaching all you like, it's not light years above welfare. Hint: One's a crime, the other isn't.

You obviously have never lived in Vernonia ..
How is someone who owns enough land to have deer or elk, and freezers to store them, poor? And what about vegetables or do they only eat meat? What about families that dont own land, where do they hunt for sustenance and how do they afford to get there?
How does all this work regardless of what town they live in?

How is someone who owns enough land to have deer or elk, and freezers to store them, poor? And what about vegetables or do they only eat meat? What about families that dont own land, where do they hunt for sustenance and how do they afford to get there?
How does all this work regardless of what town they live in?
You walk in the wood's.
These people mostly have a half broke down car that Might make it to town.
Were not talking about the ponderosa bud.

I was talking about Vernonia.

If able-bodied enough to hunt, perhaps a better response than poaching would be to get a job and buy food?

Romanticize poaching all you like, it's not light years above welfare. Hint: One's a crime, the other isn't.
You are acting on emotion, not the reality of the working poor in the small town's that have to choose between feeding the family, running water, heat, electricity, Natural gas kinda poor..

Not some Jackhole in P town.

You walk in the wood's.
These people mostly have a half broke down car that Might make it to town.
Were not talking about the ponderosa bud.

I was talking about Vernonia.
Well I did ask specifically about those that don't own land, please see my questions. If their car is that unreliable, how to they drive to the woods to walk around hunting game they might not get? How do they afford gas to drive that far, when that tank can buy a lot of food. Last place Id want to break down is in the woods (been there and its expensive to get towed...).

Dont take my replies critically. I genuinely want to know how its done in todays world. I can see poor families living off game many years ago but not today anymore. I have questions and they are still unanswered.

And if you think you own anything that live's because it crossed the "Property that you own " Until you owe back taxes, and big daddy take's it.
I never meant to imply the deer were owned by the property owner, but I can see how that could have been misconstrued from my statement. My point was that hunting without permission is not a valid reason for trespassing (and is also illegal).

I never meant to imply the deer were owned by the property owner, but I can see how that could have been misconstrued from my statement. My point was that hunting without permission is not a valid reason for trespassing (and is also illegal).
Dude, nobody's poaching for food on private land that I have ever seen.
They are trying to survive and not go to jail for the family.

Well I did ask specifically about those that don't own land, please see my questions. If their car is that unreliable, how to they drive to the woods to walk around hunting game they might not get? How do they afford gas to drive that far, when that tank can buy a lot of food. Last place Id want to break down is in the woods (been there and its expensive to get towed...).

Dont take my replies critically. I genuinely want to know how its done in todays world. I can see poor families living off game many years ago but not today anymore. I have questions and they are still unanswered.
If you live in Vernonia it's 5 min walk out of town , and it's worth the risk of your POS breaking down to feed your family.

This question of who owns the deer and poaching goes back as far as Robin Hood and the Kings owning all the land and game in the country. The rich versus the poor scenario. The inevitable end to this country will be similar when all or most of the land is owned by a small few and there's a major nationwide food shortage and millions of people are starving. Fortunately Teddy Roosevelt and Gifford Pinchot saw into the future and created the national forest. I'm convinced they saw the need for public land in the case of a national emergency like that. People with the means and opportunity of taking game (legal or illegal) will eat whatever they can find. It would be futile to try and stop that. Nobody given the choice of committing a crime or starving is going to pass up eating. But like I said earlier I don't believe this is those times. Food banks are abundant most anywhere. There are at least 5 in my area alone.

This question of who owns the deer and poaching goes back as far as Robin Hood and the Kings owning all the land and game in the country. The rich versus the poor scenario. The inevitable end to this country will be similar when all or most of the land is owned by a small few and there's a major nationwide food shortage and millions of people are starving. Fortunately Teddy Roosevelt and Gifford Pinchot saw into the future and created the national forest. I'm convinced they saw the need for public land in the case of a national emergency like that. People with the means and opportunity of taking game (legal or illegal) will eat whatever they can find. It would be futile to try and stop that. Nobody given the choice of committing a crime or starving is going to pass up eating. But like I said earlier I don't believe this is those times. Food banks are abundant most anywhere. There are at least 5 in my area alone.
Something you don't understand is a person that will never ask for a handout will you?
Some people would rather do it on their own, even if it means breaking the law. As long as nobody is hurt or stolen from.

Because they have pride as a man.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads