JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ya me too.....not filling a tag so you can shoot another deer, shooting your wife's deer cause she doesn't really hunt but you buy her a tag anyhow. Spotlighting, party hunting, camp meat! I've seen it all in the last 15 years on the job. It happens trust me.

If you live in Vernonia it's 5 min walk out of town , and it's worth the risk of your POS breaking down to feed your family.
there isnt any public land within an hours walk from Vernonia.

I'll give you the risk of driving an unreliable car, but there's hardly any public land immediately in the area. I'm guessing locals probably know a few spots, there's some very small patchwork of BLM squares a few miles to the east, a small chunk of state forest too. Forest roads to the west would be the best bet for public land access, maybe a 30 minute drive from town?
The problem here is doing this regular enough to feed a family. You need meat, and vegetables, and a freezer or two to hold the game while you consume them. And coastal blacktail arent that easy, and just one elk isn't something that can be done in one trip in an unreliable car. Maybe an old pickup tho. A guy can get lucky, but he need to keep at it every few weeks to keep the freezer full to actually live off deer.
This is not practical in today's times for a poor person. I wouldn't say a word if I knew someone truly was that poor but its not the case in today's world.

Yep, those are the people that don't need.
How do you know??? You ever had a grown man break down crying on the tailgait of a osp truck cause he got caught shooting a elk to help feed his family? I'm not saying poaching is right but it does happen more than people think to put meat in the freezer. Have you seen the price of beef and pork?

Poaching does take money out of 'everyone's' pocket as it is an illegal act and NOT a publicly funded 'assistance' program.

How so, good sir?
Poaching takes away from the deer and elk populations, numbers that are seriously declining. The problem is poaching happens outside of the fish and game management objectives, its really hard to calcluate harvest rates of poachers that dont get caught.
even our blacktail population is starting to show a decline in numbers.

How do you know??? You ever had a grown man break down crying on the tailgait of a osp truck cause he got caught shooting a elk to help feed his family? I'm not saying poaching is right but it does happen more than people think to put meat in the freezer. Have you seen the price of beef and pork?
He was lying if it was during season, that's where the cop's are at buddy...

It is a crime that when discovered is investigated by the applicable law enforcement agency in the area which takes time, money and manpower.
They are on a salary that's getting taken from ( US, i.e ) taxes.
Eating dog-nutz or fighting crime cost's us the same ..
WE pay all of it, whether its state or federal taxes ...

It cost's no more... No less...

I would like it if they only got paid when they had to do the job, that would save all of us a tidey some.

Last Edited:
They are on salary that's getting taken from taxes.
Eating dog-nutz or fighting crime cost's us the same ...

I'll give you the risk of driving an unreliable car, but there's hardly any public land immediately in the area. I'm guessing locals probably know a few spots, there's some very small patchwork of BLM squares a few miles to the east, a small chunk of state forest too. Forest roads to the west would be the best bet for public land access, maybe a 30 minute drive from town?
The problem here is doing this regular enough to feed a family. You need meat, and vegetables, and a freezer or two to hold the game while you consume them. And coastal blacktail arent that easy, and just one elk isn't something that can be done in one trip in an unreliable car. Maybe an old pickup tho. A guy can get lucky, but he need to keep at it every few weeks to keep the freezer full to actually live off deer.
This is not practical in today's times for a poor person. I wouldLikn't say a word if I knew someone truly was that poor but its not the case in today's world

This is not practical in today's times for a poor person. I wouldn't say a word if I knew someone truly was that poor but its not the case in today's world.
Like I said you've never lived in Vernonia....
You don't know stuck and generationally poor ....

Intellectual response noted. here's mine.

All you need now is the squeaky nose.

istockphoto-494895849-612x612.jpg
Honk, Honk...............

Last Edited:
They are on a salary that's getting taken from ( US, i.e ) taxes.
Eating dog-nutz or fighting crime cost's us the same ..
WE pay all of it, whether its state or federal taxes ...

It cost's no more... No less...

I would like it if they only got paid when they had to do the job, that would save all of us a tidey some.
If we didn't need poaching enforcement we would need far fewer officers. You're starting to sound like you really need to be right. Do you do that a lot?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top