JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Takes a brave man to post about his negligent discharge in a firearms forum.

Good for you.

Remember, there are 2 kinds of people.
1) Those that have had a negligent discharge
2) Those that are GOING to have a negligent discharge

Good thing you got yours out of the way, and no-one was hurt. You can relax now.:s0155:

I learned this lesson when I was younger.. Was about to clear a handgun..

I was pulling the slide back then though "But if the mag is loaded won't it just load the gun?"

Thats when i learned to drop the magazine first, even if you think it's unloaded.

Your "learning experience" is a good reminder for us all!

Let me mention that you can buy spackle in a small 8-oz. squeeze tube now so you don't need to buy a bunch. You can also use latex caulking in a squeeze tube. Just squeeze it into the holes and smooth it with a wet finger. You can even use toothpaste for small holes---it lasts surprisingly well! If you need to touch up the paint, the key is to just use a small dab and brush it out thinly. Make sure that you don't mix up flat finish paint with semi-gloss paint!

Unless your roof is cedar shingles, I doubt that it has a leak. Since the bullet was already fragmented before it hit the final ceiling it is unlikely that it had the remaining mass to penetrate the plywood roof or asphault shingles. If you DO have a cedar roof you had better go up in the attic to check because there are gaps between the roof boards where only tar paper covers beneath the cedar shingles..........................elsullo :s0155:

The rapper, turned actor Ice T said it best " check yo'self before you wreck yo'self" I'm still haunted of the image of a bloated thigh,I saw on a 1911 forum of a man who though he was dry firing, then ended up shooting a 45acp fmj that bounced off 3 concrete walls before landing next to his femur. Triple check next time...

I respectfully disagree. A “Negligent Discharge” is an operator error which is the most common and most preventable. An “Accidental Discharge” is a mechanical failure of some sort and while rare can happen. Not a lot can be done about them except to strictly adhere to safe firearms handling (i.e.: keep the sucker pointed in a safe direction, finger off trigger, etc) and stay on top if inspection/maintenance.

In this case, let it be known, it is always a poor practice to chamber check via pulling of the trigger. All I can say is I hope a lesson has been learned and I’m glad no one was hurt, it could very well have been a different outcome.

Semantics

The OP had a Negligent Discharge.

Thanks to the milk and crackers guy (Geez, I'm having fun with your handle: feel free to make fun of mine) for making the distinction about mechanical failures.

This negligent/accidental debate has been done before, and I fully understand the "negligent" camp's point: ALMOST always, negligence is involved. The statement, "...only negligent ones" therefore is not true.

In addition to a mechanical failure, external forces could operate on a firearm in ready state when all safety precautions are observed. Another exception to the "only" qualification.

I do not defend the phrase "Accidental Discharge". On the whole, it is NOT an accurate description of MOST incidents. By the same token, "Negligent Discharge" does not describe ALL. "Accidental" IS the most commonly used expression (quite probably has become so because it implies less responsibility for the occurrence).

And I know I would have limited success getting the entire shooting community to change their minds and start using "Unintended Discharge", which I think DOES encompass all such incidents.

Am I a diplomat, or what?

Aiming the gun at the ceiling is not a safe direction.

+1... Reason being that it wasn't just the ceiling, it was the exercise room.

I understand if you can't find what is left of the bullet, but keep the casing, its a good reminder... :)

I keep a shellcasing that exploded in my face through the primer, to remind me to wear my glasses. Lucky I was, too.

Man I'm glad everything turned out good for you. Its a hard lesson but count yourself fortunate anyways ! Appreciate hearing the story its a good reminder for everyone.
BTW if you have textured walls pick up a can of spray texture after you infill the holes with spackle and make sure you over spray some into the areas around the repair to help blend it in.
Here's the link at Home Depot for it
<broken link removed>

Man I'm glad everything turned out good for you. Its a hard lesson but count yourself fortunate anyways ! Appreciate hearing the story its a good reminder for everyone.
BTW if you have textured walls pick up a can of spray texture after you infill the holes with spackle and make sure you over spray some into the areas around the repair to help blend it in.
Here's the link at Home Depot for it
<broken link removed>

Good to know this for that time i rammed my socom 16 into the wall, now I know to fix it.

SEMANTICS:

We call them "car accidents", yet most of those are also caused by negligence....

I'm OK with calling it an accidental discharge -- it surely wasn't on purpose!

But I agree that the better phrase is "negligent discharge" because it puts the blame where it belongs (on the person handling the gun).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top