JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And great advice; operate the bolt/slide multiple times. I do this. Looks kinda dumb (it's empty already!!!) but a great habit to have. Had the OP done so, hopefully the live rounds flying out of the breech would have been noticed :s0112:

Not to be confused with following the said multiple action cycles with a final visual or digital inspection. I was shocked when my father-in-law (having the same safety training as myself) pulled out his Glock, removed the mag and cycled the slide 3 times before pointing the gun at my $1500 TV and presses the trigger (and no visual/digital inspection)! I was pissed, when I questioned him on this practice, he said "but I cycled the action THREE times". Fortunately there was no round in the chamber.

When I first started to get into guns, I was at the shooting range and I was shooting a .44 mag revolver and I began to BS with a friend and the gun went off. I was not looking at the target but I did have the gun pointed down range..... it had a hair trigger specially with the hammer cocked back. I too learned my lesson quick.

So did you have to contact police and report the discharge? any neighbors come to find what the noise was or anything?

I would not say we've all had them.
And I hope you never do but whenever a thread about ADs or NDs comes up the amount of people who admit to having them is enough to prove the possibility of it happening to anyone who handles guns on a regular basis, such as us.

It not a question of being a fool. I assumed some elses weapon was not loaded, it wasn't. You want to be responsible for one of your family members or friends to trust the weapons you own aren't loaded. It is a matter of applying common sense. It is not worth the risk and as you can read from the other postings that it does happen (a loaded weapon going off in the house accidentally) and in some cases the discharge has resulted in the owner having to fix the situation.
My error was trusting in someone else to do the right thing and the bottom line is that you can't. I have seen the results of negligent weapon discharges in over 30 years of service and watched Soldiers in this current war get article 15's in Iraq and Afghanistan for negligent weapons discharges.

This isn't an attack on anyone owning anything it is about being safe so get real.

Isn't the first rule "Always treat a weapon as if it is loaded, until you've verified otherwise yourself?" The fact that you made that assumption makes me SURE that you were being a fool.

The OP was ALSO being a fool in not being sure that the weapon was unloaded. In either case, the momentary lack of judgment is forgivable as long as you both learned from it. But you ruining a boot is no reason for me to not keep an AR Cond 1 in my closet.

Shot a bed once. I was in a hunting lodge after a long day of wild boar hunting and was clearing my 1911 45 acp. Dull senses and fatigue must have gotten the better of me and I let the slide go home with finger on the trigger. Nearly had a heart attack. I had to buy the lodge a new mattress and myself new under drawers. Greydog.

I will not pass judgment on your AD - heck we all have had them -

I would not say we've all had them.

And I hope you never do but whenever a thread about ADs or NDs comes up the amount of people who admit to having them is enough to prove the possibility of it happening to anyone who handles guns on a regular basis, such as us.

Of course the possibility exists. The possibility that I'll run over someone with my car exists too. Haven't done that either.

Look at how much the Army handles guns. If you have a negligent discharge in the Army you are toast. You're subject to severe penalaties including possible loss of rank. In the past 1.5 years, while I was working with two Airborne Brigades in Afghanistan, there were 2 or 3 reported NDs. That's out of a total of over 9,000 soldiers (including attached units) who keep their weapons with them 7/24. The low incident rate for NDs amoung such heavily armed, young, but well-trained people show that NDs are not inevitable, and we all have not had them.

This is a great thread and I appreciate and do not denigrate those who have posted their accidents. But firearm safety can be learned and the good habits can be ingrained. I'll bet the OP has some new habits ingrained.

The only accidential discharge I have had so far was... I was on my friends property and we were target shooting. I had my 30-30 and was ready to aim at a target that was 100yrds away. We had been practing for around an hour or so. I didnt even notice that I had me finger on the triger and then 'BAMMMM!" I fired off a shoot. The gun was already in position against my sholder and pointed towards the target. It freaked my out!!!! I learned a vaulable lesson that day! Dont put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot! :eek:

Look at how much the Army handles guns.
This I understand well, being a veteran, as well as having a little more weapons training than the average troop. ( Air Force 81152 - Law Enforcement)
You're subject to severe penalaties including possible loss of rank.
One of the 'hats' I wore while in the military was that of a paralegal and I most certainly understand the provisions of the UCMJ and the penalties for 'mistakes' regardless of their origin.
The low incident rate for NDs amoung such heavily armed, young, but well-trained people show that NDs are not inevitable
There is a simple reason for the low ND rate in the military - The extreme training regimentation with regard to the weapons used as well as the fact that virtually everyone (other than specialized MOS's) trains on either the M-16 and it's variants and the Beretta 9mm. There is simply not as much of an opportunity for an ND in the military as as there is in the civilian gun world where the level of training varies from person to person as well as the type and quality of gun owned and used and the environment it is used in. Lets say RVTECH and North Bender meet up for a day of shooting at the local pit. Maybe we are a little more 'regimented' with our guns and our approach to safety but Tom, Dick and Harry on our left have a variety of semi's with a truckload of Wolf ammo, Bubba and family on the right are working on their 2nd case of Busch and blazing away with whatever they have. My point being the lack of the regimentation (as us Vets experienced in the Military) is not present in the civilian world and this could be one reason ND are not as frequent within the rank and file of the military.

There is a simple reason for the low ND rate in the military - The extreme training regimentation with regard to the weapons used as well as the fact that virtually everyone (other than specialized MOS's) trains on either the M-16 and it's variants and the Beretta 9mm. There is simply not as much of an opportunity for an ND in the military as as there is in the civilian gun world.

I'm not sure of the meaning of your post RVTECH. As I stated, the training the military gets reduces the occurence of NDs. I think you re-posted the same opinion. There is every bit as much an opportunity for an ND in the military world - even more so, given the time involved handling weapons - but their training reduces the occurences. So, my point was that if safety is ingrained the rate of NDs decreases. I don't know if your intent was to say the rifles and pistols used by the military help reduce the rate of NDs, but I can't see how they would. They are as operator-driven as any other firearm.

Learning the rules of safe handling of firearms reduces the occurence of NDs. I don't have any other point to make.

the training the military gets reduces the occurence of NDs.
The meaning of my post was to offer a suggestion or reason as to why the aforementioned is true. IE. the regimented style of training the military has as opposed to the obvious variables in the civilian world.
I don't know if your intent was to say the rifles and pistols used by the military help reduce the rate of NDs
No, I was not saying the type of weapons used help reduce the rate of NDs but I was making reference to the amount of weapons the average soldier is being trained on. When almost everyone is trained on essentially two weapons the chance for NDs will be reduced dramatically due to the simple fact that almost everyone is using the same weapon. Have the entire company throw their M-16 in a pile, mix them up and then have each soldier grab a weapon off the pile. He or she will know exactly how to use it because he/she was trained on that weapon. Now do that with 200 civilians and the 200 different weapons they will throw in the pile and see what happens.

Need advice? Never check to see if a gun is loaded by pulling the trigger unless you are using a "hot box" for unloading into as seen at ranges, prisons .etc

Always clear you gun 3x with the mag completely out.

I don't care what anyone says on that one.

It's as bad as mashing on you brakes in your car to check for black ice. Plain stupid.

I'm glad you didn't hurt anyone. I had a ND at age 8 with a pellet gun. I set it down hard up next top the wall and it went off into my grandpas ceiling. Not really my fault, but it still was.

When almost everyone is trained on essentially two weapons the chance for NDs will be reduced dramatically due to the simple fact that almost everyone is using the same weapon.

I dissagree. The Army trained me how to handle firearms. Period. Doesn't matter which type or how it operates. Check 3x to see it isn't loaded. Always point it downrange. Teach yourself good habits and it does not matter in the least what weapon you are handling.

This is worn out. I've only replied because there was a trend towards people writing that NDs are "inevitable" or "happen to everybody". They are not inevitable and they do not happen to everybody. All firearms need a round in the chamber in order to fire.

running through sage brush and had a rattlesnake freak out about a foot away from my leg

it was accidental but still one shot one kill even if it was a miracle

had my grand pa check out my friend BB gun and shoot a bb into the attic
scared me so much I always check the chamber 3x rack and first amongst kings of rules drop da mag

I have had the trigger break unexpectedly and that to me is an accident I didnt mean to destroy that part of the target

unless I exactly hit what I am aiming for its an AD IMHO

having a ND has happened to me (see above)so I am no better than the little guy

but I will always hold myself to a higher standard when it comes to safety and am firm believer in safety, I have seen the result of that one second of distraction

in that one second with Murphy switching your ammo and placing a ricochet there and you have a family member or neighbor injured and drama with the local PD

its not worth it

in doubt? drop mag open action stick your finger and feel the chamber and then leave it open if your looking at it! especially if its someone elses gun

and keep that booger hook off the bang switch!
I use mine every time I put it down and take it off when I pick it up

its always loaded in my hands ready to go I am my safety

think before you act it could be your last stupid thought before you gain a darwinian award in the best case worst?...

I had a friend once had a great life and got into drugs (the bad ones)

put a pistol to his jaw and kicked one off

nice part about hollows? it took everything from below his eyes and above (barely) the mandible EVERYTHING!

he just got down and now has to live with that for the rest of his life

First thanks for sharing your story, most would keep it to them self. We all learn when someone else makes a mistake. Much respect for posting your momentary lapse of reason. I have obsesive complution when it comes to firearms, I will work the action several times to insure the firearm is clear. I expect you will as well in the future.

I had an event several years ago when shooting with a friend I handed him a pistol I had just recently purchased and told him it was hot. He said it is hot before I could explain he put a round in the bench we were shoot from. The range master hit the red light and came to investigate. It was the last time I handed a loaded pistol to anyone. We are still good friends and still debate the point "why would you hand me a pistiol ready to fire?", Why would you put your finger on the trigger before your aiming down range?"

As for the poster that mentioned why you would need to keep a firearm in condition one when you go to bed unless you live in a war zone. An AR might not be my fisrt line of defense for a bump in the night but we work with what we have. What I have is ready to go as I don't know if I will have the time to put in the mag and charge a round if bad comes to my home. I live in a nice area all the same I'd rather be on the news as a person defending there home than a homeowner killed in a home invasaion.

I dissagree. The Army trained me how to handle firearms. Period. Doesn't matter which type or how it operates. Check 3x to see it isn't loaded. Always point it downrange. Teach yourself good habits and it does not matter in the least what weapon you are handling.

This is worn out. I've only replied because there was a trend towards people writing that NDs are "inevitable" or "happen to everybody". They are not inevitable and they do not happen to everybody. All firearms need a round in the chamber in order to fire.

+1

I liken an ND to getting hit my high voltage as an Electrician (which I have been for 21 years) in that PROCEDURES prevent it from happening... If your head is so far out of the game that you electrocute yourself, then that's your just desert IMO.

With an ND, YOU deserve the consequences but those around you don't, just as my wife doesn't deserve a call that I'm dead because I didn't have my head in the game enough to prevent it.

This "everyone will have it, it's OK buddy boy" crap is nothing more than not wanting to take responsibility for your actions.

Man up, face that you F***ed up and move on. What didn't kill you made you stronger.

PS> That is not directed at anyone in particular, if it applies to you then so be it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top