JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with Spitpatch, and it takes alot of courage to confess what happened to you. We all know the rules of safe handling and for some who deem themselves perfect people may not see that your sharing of your W.T.F. moment to a forum full of the quick-tongued, sarcastically snarky preimaddonnas and "perfect" gun owners who could never do any wrong behind the trigger of a firearm, a sign of regret. To tell a story like yours to a crowd of shooters and expect sympathy is far-fetched (as you knew the hits were coming when you wrote the account) but to the other computer shooters who are trying to teach firearm safety over the internet to 4freedom, or for that matter, speak your part and forever hold against him the title of a "negligent gun-owner" and resident idiot: put yourself in his shoes for a fraction of a second. To state the obvious mistake that was made and down-play the rote knowledge of proper secondary action (safe direction before dropping the hammer) to ensure that if the rifle had discharged it would be a hole in his record, instead of a hole in his buddy, is assuming alot about the compatency of 4Freedom. He knew he changed his life when things went loud on accident, we all do, but to call the proper procedure a failure is uncalled for. He did the right thing in a hurried or distracted state of mind, but if he didn't know the rules his nieghbor or someone else might have paid for it dearly. I feel he did the right thing knowing what could have gone wrong, unfortunately for him at that time it did and nobody got hurt, and that's what a discharge procedure is for- the "just in case". To those who use the repeated slide rack or charging-handle dance to clear a weapon- good for you. It looks silly but it's my preferred method and has proven it's worth. To those who claim he shouldn't have dropped on the chamber after checking what he thought was clear- gimme a break, stay online while I'm at the range, I'll feel safer because everyone in the real world shows clear with a chamber-check and a click. Don't beat yourself up too badly 4Freedom, I haven't done it, but my empathy is clear and I'm sorry it happened, but thank you for sharing. To all the rest, I apologize for being long-winded in my remarks and aware to your mentality, so let the hits come, because I know they are...

I like frogs... I missed your point there Sonic.

You're probably just sleepy. Think about it a while longer and you'll get it.

Btw, I agree with whomever said it's not inevitable. It's like saying everyone goes down on a motorcycle, which is also a story told by people who "bubblegum" up and want to save face. No one got hurt, you learned a lesson, and you'll probably not do it again.

I do have to say to the OP that being aware probibly did save a life and helped this situation from getting FUBAR

he just got to TARFU

things are always assumed to be SNAFUed from the beginning

just cause I dont type with proper spelling (spell check helps) or .,?! just maybe might give you a clue to where my priorities are when it comes to playing with firearms!

to the guy that obsesses over the condition?... bravo! thats being called AWARE!

in the event I am robbed AGAIN I wont be getting a lecture from both of the VPD SWAT teams and the CCSO everything is ready to rock when it hits my hand

that being said I leave the chamber empty! mag might be full but thats always a button away

the sound may or may not stop a felony in progress but thats the only warning you get around here

to anyone that is hard on someone that learned there was a time that you were not totaly learned yourself try to understand not all people have access to proper training

I have had some idiots do some stupid things
here is one

had a idiot want to shoot with the young children at a social event that I brought a pile of BB guns to, gotta occupy my god kids man! they are very smart and follow all rules and have a blast

idiot walks up and demands to be a part of the activity and was informed of range rules which he agreed to
no flashing
no loading unsupervised
no cockin until set and pointed down range
booger finger outside the trigger guard until aimed
safety off
clearance to fire
safe and open action before removing your aim from down range

he gets the gun loads it starts pointing it at the kids while doing so
next he cant figure out how to cock it so he turns to flash the party
completing his 360 flash he was tackled before he can charge the action

he is still @$$ sore about the thing and will never be allowed to touch any toy by any person ever again for his actions and his thoughtless comments and unlearned lesson that day

at least a real man can admit they can be wrong and that accidents can happen

another one

a family member was hunting with more family think around 3 total in the party

just 22s for rabbits and anything flying thats tasty in the neighborhood (grandpas story its true I seen the result way after the fact its still on his leg)

the safety was on and the incident happened over a fence crossing
cocked locked safety on the rifle was passed over the party made it over
od receipt of his rifle the grand uncle turned and started to follow the line

this is a mechanical accident a true AD in the sense for the safety was on and his booger hook was off the bang switch! in the month after the issue was found and was that the safety had been improperly heat treated and wore out
sears and any and all catches were worn down past proper use

one 22 shell discharged and even though the rifle was pointed down it hit the man in front of him in the back of the calf and shattered his shin bone

a AD or ND that is a learning experience and no harm has been done is troubling and will make you be more aware

the AD or ND that does harm someone will forever haunt you, even if your cleared it will stay with you for the rest of your life

even a mechanical failure can me prosecuted these days ie. the guy that had his rifle go full auto and got charged for it

just thinking and taking the extra time to get informed on the action and procedures of a new toy your checking out can make the difference of having PTSD or prison most times

let alone the shock of having an oopsie give you a heart attack and kill you on the spot
my grandpa nearly had a heart attack after shooting a bb gun through the ceiling we took him in and they said it was the stress so be aware of that too

take the extra steps and you can safely say you will have a much higher chance of it not happening

but yes to the guys that say it will never happen to them?.... unless your obesessed with range safety and safety anytime there is a gun anyplace close and just Chuck Norrised Murphy made him over turn laws and change gravity.... it still can happen! maybe not negligence because your obsessed with following handling procedures but mechanically things can fail! anything could happen
light primer
broken safety
worn part
bad ammo? (its a long shot but primers can be made bad)

I feel very strongly about this subject and the younger generation is all HALOed out not aware of an accident or negligence having repercussions that you have to live with

I would hope that all that read this will take a lesson from anyones example that had to learn the hard way not to make that mistake themselves

on that note! I am going to try to go out today and blow off a couple hundred rounds of this that and the other! will follow all rules as I am trying the new toys and see you all soon!

I think you've learned to make sure you're not in a rush or stressed to the max when handling firearms. It sounds like the OP is taking responsibility for their actions and that is great!

Take your time and remember, EVERYONE will AD eventually. If someone tells you they haven't had one, they are either lying or haven't been shooting long enough. I don't care if you were military, LEO, instructor, etc. you will have one, eventually.

AD's come in all sorts, like at the range when you draw and present to the target, squeeze off a round before at full extension, shooting a light 2 stage trigger on a rifle and don't get into full reset, etc.

Glad you or anyone else were not hurt and find yourself a friend that can help you fix it.

Ouch! lots of nasty lessons here. I do suppose that an AD is something you won't ever forget! The best lesson is where no one gets hurt of course. For me, a safe direction is to the floor. Well, I suppose it's the safest direction anyway.

My own personal method of clearing is to remove the mags, cycle the gun a bunch, and then visual/physical check. Only then would I dry fire.

The closest thing I have ever had to an AD was when I accidentally lit off a few primers when reloading. The primer went in sideways, combusted, and took out about 3 other primers in the strip. It was loud, it stung, and freaked me out. Naturally this was with a new reloading tool, as I had recently busted the thumb lever on my Auto Prime. Go figure. Still... not something you are likely to forget!

I have had the trigger break unexpectedly and that to me is an accident I didnt mean to destroy that part of the target
No accident, finger was on the trigger.

IMO there are no accidental discharges only varing degrees of negligence.
Never put your finger on the trigger untill read to fire.

two in 40 years of handling guns,

First from an M1 carbine, loaded mag, locked back slide, fell over and slam fired,(it was a POS Universal, not a GI, a GI may have done the same thing). No one hurt but it did go through a cabinet and graze the side of the fridge.

second from a !911, with a too light trigger, dropped the slide and BOOM, went through drywall, a 2x4, and the exterior stocco, nice penetration, went out and picked it up off the sidewalk.

Both scared the crap out of me, it's been 20 years and still I am very careful. I became much more careful in my handling of loaded (and unloaded) guns.

No accident, finger was on the trigger.

IMO there are no accidental discharges only varing degrees of negligence.
Never put your finger on the trigger untill read to fire.

try reading that again LS!

if your not intelligent enough to speak try to keep your opinions to yourself

read very carefully or have a child explain it to you

having a trigger break unexpectedly is actualy the proper way to shoot you shouldnt know when the trigger breaks (or you just have crappy triggers and never learned how to shoot properly!)

what I said was "I have had the trigger break unexpectedly and that to me is an accident I didnt mean to destroy that part of the target"

I am guilty of not getting sarcasm at times but this is asinine

OBVIOUSLY I had my finger on the trigger after aiming so I could discharge the firearm, what you dont get is that you can shoot a target and not hit EXACTLY where you wanted to

LS your are here by banned from ever shooting with me for lack of common sense!

I had a negligent discharge a little over a year ago.

It was frightening and humiliating. I scared the **** out of my wife. I was very close to getting rid of all of my guns. For weeks afterward I lived in fear of the police showing up and telling me I had killed someone with my negligence.

You cant undo the past, but you can accept responsibility for it and learn from it and share it with others so that they can learn from it also.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top