JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know how much of this story is truth and how much is marketing, but there was a famous story about a priest who went to the Aluetian's in the 30's (to whip a little religion on the natives) and wanted to take some protection with him.
LGS suggested the then -new .357 Mag (which, in those days, meant S&W N-Frame, replete with the most luxurious bluing job any human has ever witnessed).
When a giant polar bear started raiding the garbage dump of the village the priest lived in, and then the villagers, it is said he dispatched the bear with the .357.
I believe S&W used that story to help advertise the power of their .357 revolver, back in the early days.
....of course, an indigenous Canadian shot a 1000 lb. Grizzly with a .22 Long, too. ;)
My Brother-in-law who lived in Alaska, was on a float plane trip fishing with a bush pilot friend. They fed all of their Salmon to a Grizzly bear one at a time while they retreated to the float plane. My BIL said the .357 in his hand seemed way too small for that bear! everyone lived but the fish, but he carried a .44mag after that!

My Brother-in-law who lived in Alaska, was on a float plane trip fishing with a bush pilot friend. They fed all of their Salmon to a Grizzly bear one at a time while they retreated to the float plane. My BIL said the .357 in his hand seemed way too small for that bear! everyone lived but the fish, but he carried a .44mag after that!
Bear was probably enjoying dinner and looking at them as dessert :D

Yeah, I think a few rounds of even 5.7 would probably discourage that cat.

A gun you have with you, especially one with 20 rounds of 5.7, is better than a gun you left at home. The Five Seven, while a large gun, is light, even with 20 rounds of ammo loaded up, and it is loud enough to possibly frighten a cougar - I don't know; cougars around here don't seem to molest humans, plenty of deer, rabbits, coyotes, tied up foo foo dogs and pet cats for them to munch on without messing with humans.

A gun you have with you, especially one with 20 rounds of 5.7, is better than a gun you left at home. The Five Seven, while a large gun, is light, even with 20 rounds of ammo loaded up, and it is loud enough to possibly frighten a cougar - I don't know; cougars around here don't seem to molest humans, plenty of deer, rabbits, coyotes, tied up foo foo dogs and pet cats for them to munch on without messing with humans.
I would hope I could at least pile some brass before losing!

No clear shot yet. I'd definitely have the gun out at low ready with two hands on it. Might even pop one into the dirt to discourage the kitty. Going to be a tense few minutes slowly backing away and trying not to trip over anything.
In the case of that cat, I would not hesitate to shoot it, had he not turned to face the cat and yelled, it would have attacked - so either it was starving and/or young and/or it had no fear of humans - so it would be best to take it out IMO.

I don't hunt predators - I prefer to live and let live - but if they are a demonstrated danger (as witnessed in the vid) to humans/pets/livestock, then that individual should be put down IMO.

I say within a reasonable range a 5.7 would most likely be a one shot kill on a cougar.
I would not take a shot at cougar except within a reasonable range - that said, if it was that close and threatening, but moving around like that one in the vid was, I would probably take the shot even though it was moving around.

However I'd still prefer something 'bigger'.....
I would prefer at least a 9mm because I think the heavier bullet would penetrate better if it hit bone.

But like I said, the gun you have with you is better than the gun you left at home.

I would not take a shot at cougar except within a reasonable range - that said, if it was that close and threatening, but moving around like that one in the vid was, I would probably take the shot even though it was moving around.
Well, 'reasonable range' is subjective - I mean if one is hunting them and has a rifle commensurate for cougars then a couple hundred yards might be 'reasonable range' - however in the case of the vid I too would have already popped off one or more.

I did not see anything that indicated where the vid took place but it kinda has a CA appearance about it.

Regardless of the area however a lot of people hike unarmed. Lots of 'earth muffins' are antis as well so they will never be armed in the woods.

I am surprised we do NOT hear of more attacks taking place.

Well, 'reasonable range' is subjective - I mean if one is hunting them and has a rifle commensurate for cougars then a couple hundred yards might be 'reasonable range' - however in the case of the vid I too would have already popped off one or more.

I did not see anything that indicated where the vid took place but it kinda has a CA appearance about it.

Regardless of the area however a lot of people hike unarmed. Lots of 'earth muffins' are antis as well so they will never be armed in the woods.

I am surprised we do NOT hear of more attacks taking place.
cougars are mostly heart and lungs, they bleed out pretty quickly IF hit hard, I would use any gun I had if my other choice was a pocketknife.

Yep the big cats here only go after humans if they are really hungry. Its quite rare for them to go to a 2 legged for food. I would be fine with any gun I would use to defend myself against people on the cats.

At the time the story took place, there was no such thing as a ".44 magnum".
This would've happened in the 30's.

Except when the dog is dinner!
Gabby
My dog(s) has ran off more than one. As much as I like my dog. I would rather the cat go after the dog than me.
One day when I was on my knees opening a gate, a cougar started to put a stalk on me. The do g was in the pickup but it barked and tried to come through the windshield. It alerted me enough to turn around. Once turned the cat was off like a shot.

I carry a 9mm, but if I had to choose between pistol or dog……..I would keep the dog.

🐾

17E7C311-31CE-4A83-9A89-A69CD28DF792.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews