JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Revolvers with little barrels? Can do:

little.jpg

(Though two of these just for fun and the other is for CHP carry. Back to your reguraly scheduled program ... or something.)

When I was a kid in the late 60's and early 70's, my family would take hikes thru the woods. Most of the time they were hikes on designated trails. We never carried firearms then. These were highly traveled trails and that's probably a good part of the safety.
Hiking alone without protection is just asking for it, if you ask me. Compared to the big cats, a human is a poor fighter.

I carried a S&W 329 when I was hunting/hiking loaded with Beartooths Keith style 250 gr boolit. The combo of the cast load and the right grips (S&W's "X frame sorbethane") made it "almost" pleasant to practice with.
There was a guy in BC yrs ago that was jumped by a cat. He was able to pull his pocket knife and cut its throat.
https://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Attacking-cougar-killed-with-pocket-knife-1092755.php
I remember reading in The American Rifleman years ago of a big fat black bear trying to eat a fella.. he stabbed it while his dog rope-a-doped it part-time when he could with a 3" folder for about a half hour when he finally palm pushed the whole knife into its heart, killing it.

Of these three, what would be your pick for such defense? Right-to-left: Desert Eagle XIX in .44 Magnum, S&W Model 29 in .44 Magnum, and Rossi 972 in .357 Magnum.

View attachment 498352

(The Rossi is the one I've been packing all over hill and dale in recent years. Though a "lesser" brand, I've found it an absolutely reliable tack-driver, and have put many hundreds of .38 Special and .357 Magnum rounds through said. The 44s are new as of this year and I could see the 29 filling in. Though the Rossi would still be easier to pack.)

I'm a huge fan of the classic 6" model 29, but it's a heavy piece of steel to carry around. I even bought a 3" model 29 thinking it would be good to carry in the woods, but my favorite is actually an old 4" model 66.

These people that go for a walk in the woods with no protection.are idots.
Im sorry but COME ON PEOPLE.
USE YOUR HEADS .
I don't walk across the street with out my pistol

This is the only time that ODFW knows of that a cougar has killed someone in Orygun. I would say the risk is kind of low by comparison.

I have bears and cougars and coyotes on my property and I rarely have a firearm with me. I am more concerned about two legged tweakers than I am about four legged wildlife. Been out in the woods of PNW (including Alaska, Montana/etc.) for over 6 decades and the only time I have been threatened by a four legged creature was a domesticated dog.

I wouldn't want to be without a .357 minimum. Need something with some big time punch, especially if you only manage to land 1-2 shots in the process.

Definitely concerning that we've now had 2 deadly cougar attacks in the NW just this year. I'd be truly curious to know, beyond speculation, what's really going on here. But hopefully folks wake up to the fact that nature is still all around us, and, given the chance, will kick our azzes if we let it.

Went on a hike with a group of folks 2 years ago out past Timothy lake. I'm certain I was the only one carrying that day (GP100) and they only one keeping my head on a swivel for any potential approach by unfriendly wildlife. The rest were completely oblivious to their surroundings beyond where their next footfall would land. Just like folks with heads-down in their smartphones walking into traffic in the city, in the woods, many folks seem just as unable to keep their eyes out for danger, even when the distractions of everyday life aren't in their faces 24/7.

Definitely concerning that we've now had 2 deadly cougar attacks in the NW just this year. I'd be truly curious to know, beyond speculation, what's really going on here.

Because of the change in hunting laws many years back, the cougar population has grown. Cougars are territorial and since there are more of them, they need to spread out to find new, unclaimed ground. That poses two problems. One they are forced closer to the human population and two, they have less sources for what is their natural food. Might as well chomp and a granola chomper!

I've been packing a S&W 69 recently, but usually I carry a 1911 in 45. Either one outta take the fight out of a cat pretty quick, if the shooter does his part.

Because of the change in hunting laws many years back, the cougar population has grown. Cougars are territorial and since there are more of them, they need to spread out to find new, unclaimed ground. That poses two problems. One they are forced closer to the human population and two, they have less sources for what is their natural food. Might as well chomp and a granola chomper!

At least it's a more natural food. Better for you than folks that live on a diet of fast food ;)

When out in the world, I keep my head on a swivel, especially when walking around at night. The key to self defense with an animal and stopping in it's tracks, is penetration.

Cougars are relatively soft-skinned as well, are small black bears. But for the larger black or brown bear, elk or moose... You need big time penetration.

I believe the time needed to draw and fire is super short. I watched a bear charge a float boat in Alaska on video and the guide barely had time to get off one warning shot. Equally, I would bet a surprise cat attack would leave you no time at all. Access to your self defense item ( knife or gun) would be just as important. I would wager that having it on your weak side would be preferable since your strong hand might be busy. I would think a three inch SP 101 in .357 would be sufficient for 99.9% of situations. Simple and efficient.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top