JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lol let's go hiking im ready za8ygema.jpg

One thing to keep in mind when you go into the woods to play....
You do not have fur , fangs or claws...you are no longer the apex of all things...
You are indeed where the wild things are..where they live , play and eat...

I am not saying here that you must be afraid of getting et by lions , tigers and bears...Nor that you need to hiking with every gun you own or a Platoon of Rangers...but it does pay in the end to :

Pay attention to what is going on around you...
Keep a clean camp , police up after yourself ....don't leave food or garbage about...
If you take a gun , keep it both secure and handy...it does you no good if you don't have it or or can't get to it...when you need it.
Andy
And if you are camping, store food away from the vicinity of your camp!

How many times have we heard people say it was just a day hike maybe a few hours.
But it turned into a three day deal .
Back pack with extra clothes food water .
And survive gear are a big deal anytime you get into the woods.
Sorry folks but that's the way it is.
I take a backpack with a days worth of food duck hunting and I only go 1/2 mile from my truck
Hell, for some people that is like the backcountry, take WiFi out of the mix and it is practically survival!

Just 6 weeks ago, the police in Springfield, OR shot and killed a cougar that was in a tree in a residential home's backyard, looking at young children playing in the yard.

Animal lovers all over Eugene were simply outraged by this. Some said that if the police had simply done nothing, that the cougar would have eventually left on his own.

Here is a link to some initial press reports:

<broken link removed>

Here is another news report, about the controversy that followed. The head of the Predator Defense Institute, told reporters that the police officer's rifle was a far greater threat to the public, than what the cougar ever posed:

Controversy Follows Springfield Cougar Shooting

Here is another follow-up on the controversy, as more people from Eugene complained bitterly that it was unnecessary to kill the cougar. In this report, ODFW officials confirmed that the dead cougar was a male, about 18 months old, and was badly malnourished. It was literally starving, and was desperate for food to eat. Apparently that is what drove it to come inside the city.

Would a starving cougar eat small children? Could anyone imagine that happening? After all, Cougars never attack people in Oregon. At least that is what a lot of people thought, 6 weeks ago:

State wildlife officials back police decision to kill Springfield cougar

Because of the change in hunting laws many years back, the cougar population has grown. Cougars are territorial and since there are more of them, they need to spread out to find new, unclaimed ground. That poses two problems. One they are forced closer to the human population and two, they have less sources for what is their natural food. Might as well chomp and a granola chomper!

At least it's a more natural food. Better for you than folks that live on a diet of fast food ;)
Are grain fed hominoids the best tasting? :D In my neighborhood the cougars don't hunt guys my age. They'll talk with me until a young guy comes along though. :rolleyes:

They found her body or what was left of it off the trail .
But a big cat would drag it's prey off to eat it could drag it 1/4 mile or even drag it into a tree or den

Missed the point of my question... there was a theory put forth that she was doing bathroom biz when attacked... where her clothes in disarray, did she get a chance to pull up her drawers? I guess so because I'm not aware of that having been reported.

I've watched a couple of his videos. He has great information but something about his delivery drives me right up the wall. Plus he can take forever to get to the point. Did not watch.

Yeah, and it's too bad because his info is generally very relevant. In particularly check out his analysis of the 1985 Miami shootout - I've read so much about it that I honestly didn't expect to get any new insight but I did.

Also he's a local guy so I subbed for quite a while to support him. What drove me away was when he did velocity tests... "Bang!" (slowly turn to the camera and announce the velocity) "Bang!" (slowly turn ...) etc.

I was always like "bro, I'll believe you if you just give me the average at the end".

Whatever you already have and can shoot well close range with. In my elderly case my trusty, (ZERO stoppages in over 2000 rds!) old Springfield Armory XD T 5" .45 TS big double stack 13+1 poly framed pistol.

Four, (4) extra 13 rd mags in case my aim is off or perhaps for Zombies. Sixty five, (65) rounds of Buffalo Bore .45 Super. I for one have now seem TWO, (2) wild big big kitty cats while out hiking and I am an old coot.

Whatever you already have and can shoot well close range with. In my elderly case my trusty, (ZERO stoppages in over 2000 rds!) old Springfield Armory XD T 5" .45 TS big double stack 13+1 poly framed pistol.

Four, (4) extra 13 rd mags in case my aim is off or perhaps for Zombies. Sixty five, (65) rounds of Buffalo Bore .45 Super. I for one have now seem TWO, (2) wild big big kitty cats while out hiking and I am an old coot.
After rasslin that shooter around you could prolly strangle a no neck with each hand.

Google Image Result for https://brobible.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/charles-dion-mcdowell.jpg?quality=90&w=640

Didn't read all 25 pages, but has anyone pointed out that most professional cougar hunters, who use hounds to tree cats, then shoot them, use mostly .22LR or similar small rounds?

And did anyone point out that the vast majority of cougar attacks are from behind and by surprise and you will not have time to draw and fire but rather it will be hand-to-paw wrestling to get either your gun or a knife before the big cat manages to crush your neck?

So caliber really doesn't matter. What matters is having something you can get to when laying flat on your back and getting clawed. Something you can use one-handed and up close and personal.

My brother carries a S&W 686 4" in a combination binocular case/holster that sits on his chest. I carry a Glock G29 in a Bianchi flap holster on my hip.

Both of us are over 6' and 250+lbs; cougars do not look at us as prey, but rather predator.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top