JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
latest?cb=20160204075810.jpg

I believe the time needed to draw and fire is super short. I watched a bear charge a float boat in Alaska on video and the guide barely had time to get off one warning shot. Equally, I would bet a surprise cat attack would leave you no time at all. Access to your self defense item ( knife or gun) would be just as important. I would wager that having it on your weak side would be preferable since your strong hand might be busy. I would think a three inch SP 101 in .357 would be sufficient for 99.9% of situations. Simple and efficient.
Good points but in this case I think it is believed that the victim had some warning as her pristine pack was found some distance from the body.
I've seen quite a few videos of mountain lions "harassing" hikers in a probative manner.

Was down at Stateline Idaho one time when a cat fight started, two of them in the 110 - 115 pound bracket, really just kittens and not full grown cougars. When they were preoccupied fighting one another one of the guys threw a bucket of water on them. Just after that one of them hooked her claws on the others wet T shirt and ripped it off, shortly after that the fight was over and they started licking and petting each other... Would have joined in if I could...

Back to the topic, I spend a lot of time working my woods, my constant companion is a Smith 642 in .38 spl. carried cross draw. It is light enough to not to cause fatigue and cross draw I can present it with either hand. As a side note it has Crimson Trace grips so I guess I could use the laser to distract a cat.:rolleyes:
Haven't been challenged by any of the critters here however have seen or seen signs of bear, cougar, etc. The primary hazard here is likely the ocasional moose with calf.

Good points but in this case I think it is believed that the victim had some warning as her pristine pack was found some distance from the body.
I've seen quite a few videos of mountain lions "harassing" hikers in a probative manner.

My theory is she walked off trail to relieve herself and that is why her backpack was there. Opportunistic cat attacked her when she was squatting / vulnerable.

Most humans around my neighborhood are poor fighters compared to a housecat. Not bragging, don't fight, just sayin'.

A couple of years ago a couple in downtown Portland called 911 to rescue them from their house cat. Fluffy was throwing a fit and they were scared. On the news they looked like the typical idiots that inhabit Portlandia.

My opinion a Tarus Judge with 410 defense shotgun shells and a couple 45 Colt in there for good measure if the 410 don't scare it away. Most people won't be able to hit a cat from any distance with regular calibers anyways. Better your odds.

Over on the ranch I never go out unarmed. We have lots of cats in the vicinity. Here I'm taking my then infant daughter for a walk to see the canyon. That's a Model 66 S&W 4" .357Mag.

WapinitaCanyon-JohnAerynCrop.jpg Canyon2016 - 6.jpg

More and more people hiking into the woods and going off trail .to get away from the other people.
But they don't think about the fact that the farther they get away from other people.
The more they get into the wild animals home or territory

One thing to keep in mind when you go into the woods to play....
You do not have fur , fangs or claws...you are no longer the apex of all things...
You are indeed where the wild things are..where they live , play and eat...

I am not saying here that you must be afraid of getting et by lions , tigers and bears...Nor that you need to hiking with every gun you own or a Platoon of Rangers...but it does pay in the end to :

Pay attention to what is going on around you...
Keep a clean camp , police up after yourself ....don't leave food or garbage about...
If you take a gun , keep it both secure and handy...it does you no good if you don't have it or or can't get to it...when you need it.
Andy

One thing to keep in mind when you go into the woods to play....
You do not have fur , fangs or claws...you are no longer the apex of all things...
You are indeed where the wild things are..where they live , play and eat...

I am not saying here that you must be afraid of getting et by lions , tigers and bears...Nor that you need to hiking with every gun you own or a Platoon of Rangers...but it does pay in the end to :

Pay attention to what is going on around you...
Keep a clean camp , police up after yourself ....don't leave food or garbage about...
If you take a gun , keep it both secure and handy...it does you no good if you don't have it or or can't get to it...
Andy
Plan for the worst and hope it doesn't happen .
But if it does you are prepared

I've come upon a few fawn kills being sort of covered with leaves while hunting up in the Santiam canyon areas over the years. I slowly and cautiously got out of that kill/feed area. Lucky, I'm well armed.

How many times have we heard people say it was just a day hike maybe a few hours.
But it turned into a three day deal .
Back pack with extra clothes food water .
And survive gear are a big deal anytime you get into the woods.
Sorry folks but that's the way it is.
I take a backpack with a days worth of food duck hunting and I only go 1/2 mile from my truck

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top