JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, here's how I see it:
Oregon law (ORS 166.210(12)) says that a

Since neither the shockwave, nor the tac-14 have ever been designed to be fired from the shoulder, they are NOT shotguns. Period. Dot.

If you think my argument is invalid, then explain how AR pistols aren't considered SBRs in Oregon given their definition in ORS 166.210(11)

"Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle if the weapon has an overall length of less than 26 inches."

No mention in Oregon law as to what a "rifle" is either. Here's the brass tacks from the ATF themselves on the matter:

Cooler heads will prevail in this matter.

What Feds say will mean nothing here. As many have tried to point out to all here this has zero to do with the Feds. Yet people keep saying "but the Feds say". It's State. Now just because it's in writing that also means ZERO. Some bureaucrat is going to make a ruling on these. If it's thumbs down, who the hell knows what they will do about the ones already sold. Again some bureaucrat will decide. No doubt if it goes against gun owners many will jump up and down and scream and point to the "law". Which again will mean nothing. Next it will end up in front of some judge. If this goes against the gun owners more jumping up and down for all the good that will do. The next step will be lawyers. Which means someone has to pay. The state has LOT's of money to throw at this stuff if they want to. Any of you really think your Governor is going to say "oh well they won" and give up? Yeah right. So then it will be a matter of who wants to pay and how much to fight it. May be able to win if, and that's the big IF someone is willing to pay to fight it.

What Feds say will mean nothing here. As many have tried to point out to all here this has zero to do with the Feds. Yet people keep saying "but the Feds say". It's State. Now just because it's in writing that also means ZERO. Some bureaucrat is going to make a ruling on these. If it's thumbs down, who the hell knows what they will do about the ones already sold. Again some bureaucrat will decide. No doubt if it goes against gun owners many will jump up and down and scream and point to the "law". Which again will mean nothing. Next it will end up in front of some judge. If this goes against the gun owners more jumping up and down for all the good that will do. The next step will be lawyers. Which means someone has to pay. The state has LOT's of money to throw at this stuff if they want to. Any of you really think your Governor is going to say "oh well they won" and give up? Yeah right. So then it will be a matter of who wants to pay and how much to fight it. May be able to win if, and that's the big IF someone is willing to pay to fight it.
Talk to OSP, which I have done extensively on many gun matters, and their DEFAULT position is that if Oregon doesn't have a specific law, then they go by federal guidelines.

Remember to Federal murders at Ruby Ridge started over shotgun barrels being half an inch too short.

And then there was Waco

IMG_7379.PNG

FFL is a federal licence, if they arent breaking a federal law, how would they loose their FFL. Seeing that the state doesnt issue the licence, I understand breaking laws is bad but there is no law in place. How long can the state supposedly hold up these transactions? Tyranny.

Talk to OSP, which I have done extensively on many gun matters, and their DEFAULT position is that if Oregon doesn't have a specific law, then they go by federal guidelines.

The problem is that the OSP is very much a tool of the governor's office and will pretty much do whatever the governor wants. Ditto with the Oregon DOJ and AG.

This are political limits of course, but I am sure it wasn't the OSP, AG or the DOJ who came up with this "problem". Someone raised the issue and it percolated up to the governor's office which then directed the DOJ, AG and OSP to see if they could find a reason to clamp down on the sales of these firearms.

The problem is that the OSP is very much a tool of the governor's office and will pretty much do whatever the governor wants. Ditto with the Oregon DOJ and AG.

This are political limits of course, but I am sure it wasn't the OSP, AG or the DOJ who came up with this "problem". Someone raised the issue and it percolated up to the governor's office which then directed the DOJ, AG and OSP to see if they could find a reason to clamp down on the sales of these firearms.
Probably good ole Floyd...

I WONDER: Do you think the Prozanski recall, even though it failed, put the fear of the people in the anti 2nd Amendment crowd? At least till the electorate forgets!

Sheldon

FFL is a federal licence, if they arent breaking a federal law, how would they loose their FFL. Seeing that the state doesnt issue the licence, I understand breaking laws is bad but there is no law in place. How long can the state supposedly hold up these transactions? Tyranny.

Well, if an 01 FFL is anything like my 03 FFL, then it states right in the language of the license that the FFL license doesn't trump state laws. If the state of Oregon decides something is illegal, something they have a right to do under the 10th amendment, and so long as that doesn't infringe on the 2nd, they can prevent the transfer. An FFL doesn't grant someone a right to bypass a state's requirements, it's just the right to transfer - but transferring a gun a state says no to, isn't a benefit of the license. Since the SCOTUS has already upheld the right for states to make certain restrictions on gun ownership, this seems to be well within their right.

For better or worse, the constitution protects state's rights as well as individual rights. If a state is overstepping, then it's up to the voters to change the leadership and get it fixed.

Anybody know if you can put an 18.5inch barrel from a 500 on one of these, so if, theoretically, they were banned, the barrel could be removed and destroyed as a non-serialized part? Is that possible? I am more interested in staying legal. For example, if I find out it is illegal, I could theoretically remove the barrel and smash it with a sledge and no longer be at risk of legal trouble?

Last Edited:
They will go after whatever they can go after whenever they can go after. They will use whatever opportunities they can to ban or limit whatever firearms they feel they can - whatever is politically possible. It doesn't really matter to them, they will do what they can do. As someone said, they won't stop, ever. The only response is to fight them however we can. IMO the most effective way is to remove them from power.

are these offered with a rifled barrel option for slugs ? that would delete them from shotgun listing all together right ? no longer a smooth bore . just thinking out of the box here.
Anybody know if you can put an 18.5inch barrel from a 500 on one of these, so if, theoretically, they were banned, the barrel could be removed and destroyed as a non-serialized part? Is that possible? I am more interested in staying legal. For example, if I find out it is illegal, I could theoretically remove the barrel and smash it with a sledge and no longer be at risk of legal trouble?

If you already have one and this goes against them, my "guess" would be yes. It would essentially turn it into a Cruiser which these had to be in the first place to allow the short barrel. That was how this all got started. Someone found the "flaw" so to speak in how the Feds originally labeled the Cruiser type shotguns. Since they decided they were not shotguns. This will all shake out soon enough and all will know. Gun owners may win. If they lose then it will be a while to see if anyone wants to spend the money and time to fight it.

They will go after whatever they can go after whenever they can go after. They will use whatever opportunities they can to ban or limit whatever firearms they feel they can - whatever is politically possible. It doesn't really matter to them, they will do what they can do. As someone said, they won't stop, ever. The only response is to fight them however we can. IMO the most effective way is to remove them from power.

I have been trying to tell people who are not real "political" this for decades. The left can never be compromised with. They NEVER stop. To them a compromise is they only win part of what they want this time. As soon as it's inked they start in wanting more. Bill Ruger Sr. found this out when he "thought" he could win them over by showing them he was for "common sense" gun control.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top