JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Updated with letter from the state.

Welp it looks like the OSP is delaying everyone trying to purchase a Mossy 590 Shockwave and the Remington Tac 14.
I knew it was only a matter of time.
I called OSP and confirmed it tonight.
IMG_9230.JPG

IMG_9186.PNG

Last Edited:
How can our azz wipe of a governor just pick and choose what people can buy?. If a gang banger or crook wants a short shotgun they will just saw it off, they don't give a chit about legality. The only people this illegal action impacts are law abiding citizen's following the rules and purchasing a legal weapon!.:mad: We need to get Brownstain out of Oregon politics!.:mad:

Well, entirely not surprising from the folks in Salem. They must think gang-bangers are lined up at their local FFL's just waiting to pass the BGC and get their new shotguns so they can start shooting up the state. Once again, it escapes our illustrious Governor and the morons in Salem: criminals don't do BGC's!

But why these guns, and under what authority? It took one simple search to find what is likely the source of this problem. I found an article for Ohio dated to late May on the same two guns - they have been deemed illegal in Ohio because these guns, by definition of the state are short barreled shotguns, not pistols. Even though the Feds see them as a pistol, not an SBS - but remember, the states have their own separate rules.

I looked up definitions in the ORS's and I found this under ORS 162.210(12):

"Short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun if the weapon has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

I think the problem here is that someone either tipped off the state, or someone inside the state started getting all technical about the definition of a "shotgun", while ignoring what the Feds have to say.

The state's definition of a handgun seems to allow for these guns, at least if they are truly classified as a "pistol":

"Handgun" means any pistol or revolver using a fixed cartridge containing a propellant charge, primer and projectile, and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder.

But I suspect someone will have to challenge the state on this and demonstrate that it is, in fact, classified as a pistol, at least as far as the ATF is concerned. But I wouldn't hold my breath. I have no doubt the State has any interest in doing anything that benefits law-abiding gun owners.

Bunch of anti-gun political B.S.

The Shockwave is considered an "Other" firearm just as an AR receiver and the 590 American. When a dealer writes in what the type of firearm it is they will describe it as a "pistol grip shotgun" not a pistol or long gun, it also requires the buyer to be 21 because no stock is included. I am not surprised with this move by the state, anything I want they try and exclude from purchase in OR example Echo triggers...:mad:

Then until they make it officially illegal, a person should be able to cross over into another state and buy one. Bonus: it won't show up on the Oregon BGC "registry".

FWIW - I don't like them - I prefer a bullpup shotgun.

I do not agree with the state on this, however as mentioned above it is written into OR law. I know the ATF says legal, however Ttates rights trump Federal law (as it should be). Now the crappy part about States rights, is our liberal overlords in Salem pick and choose State and Federal laws to find the ones that are more self serving... I expect this will take a law suit to overturn or solidify.
What does happen to those that already own? Are they felons?

States should not be able to, and usually cannot (if you take it to the Supreme Court) enact laws that violate the rights enumerated in the US Constitution.

The government, municipal, state or federal does not have rights, individuals do. It is the job of government to protect our rights, not restrict them.

States should not be able to, and usually cannot (if you take it to the Supreme Court) enact laws that violate the rights enumerated in the US Constitution.

The government, municipal, state or federal does not have rights, individuals do. It is the job of government to protect our rights, not restrict them.
I agree.
However it appears State law in oregon specifically mentions shortened shotguns. I DO NOT agree with it, however when we look for ways to scurt existing laws (I am all for it) we occasionally are going to have fight for it legally.
Again not in favor of this, however it is not a stretch to say that "legally" State of Oregon is acting according to existing law.
To many laws on the book designed to limit the rights of the citizens instead of limiting government as it was intended.

Almost seems the text of the law isn't applicable in this situation as the shotgun is over 26 inch overall length they have that "and" in the middle of the definition meaning it would need to be the shorter than 18in barrel and the under 26 inch overall length rule

Ok well I didnt say we didnt have them before sb941. But good for you.

Actually, you said: "I knew the BGC system setup by sb941 would be used against the good people of Oregon. This is a crime."

What BGC system was set up by SB941 then? Was there a new BGC system set up? From what I know, all it did was extend the current/existing BGC system to private sales, that's it. So, SB941 has nothing to do with this. This is the state, apparently, using their own definition to block the sale of 2 particular guns. Whether SB941 was passed or not, to buy these new, a person would have had to go through an FFL anyway. I just didn't understand how you were somehow linking SB941 into this discussion. Maybe I'm just not getting what you're saying.

Yet another overreach by the Draconian Democrats in Salem...

Just waiting to see this there's enough consternation among the subjects of the State to actually do something about it...

I suspect that small core of belivers in the Constitution will be vocal, but Oregon gun owners, by far and large, are a compliant group...

Sorry, but the last several legislative sessions have proven that Oregon gun owners cannot flex sufficient muscle or provide a sufficiently sized crowd to get the Draconian leaders to take notice...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top