JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
sigmadog said:
Could be. I'm constantly reaching into the snow to pick up brass. Maybe I'm unconsciously loosening my grip, like P7id0T suggested.

I got an inexpensive ($40-45) children's metal detector from Amazon (Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector). I let the brass fly and retrieve it after I'm all done. Because I'm 6'2" and the metal detector is for children, I do look kind of funny using it. But like you, I shoot on my own property so the world gets to miss out on the funny/awkward scene.

A ''Fun Fact'' nobody asked to hear. :s0030:

When it comes to potential slide drag? Be it from grease, dirt, or dry metal?

A 1911 has 7'' of frame rail contact with the slide.
3'' of frame rail on each side of the frame.

A Glock has 1-1/2'' of contact area. If you count all four 3/8'' tabs.
And their thinner. So they lack the slide channel area of drag seen in the 1911. ;)

I have no Idea why I felt compelled to say this. :s0087:

Please don't kick me out of the 1911 club.
In the past, I have always been a member in good standing. :D
Yeabut a sig P210 has a yard a rail..
Perhaps it's even your hand lie/perhaps your hands are interfering with slide travel.
You really just need a Browning Hi-Power.

I don't know if it's been asked/fielded, but what was the particular state of the gun and environment?.. (lube and temp)
The temps on the first time it happened were in the low 20's (F). Last weekend it was upper 20's.

The gun had been cleaned and lubed a month prior to last weekend's shoot (right after the previous shoot). In my opinion, I'm pretty stingy with the lubricant. I put a drop at the back end of each rail and set the slide on its end so the oil will run down the ramps. I usually don't oil the lower rails on the frame, assuming the oil on the slide will come in contact with them and do its job.

I hadn't noticed any more malfunctions due to cold or rainy weather in my 1911s. I use CPL and Tetra gun grease. I do occasionally fire them in the cold just to see how they run. The Government length may be less fussy or like you said the firm wrist. And as someone else said, may need to change the recoil spring. Good luck. Nice pistol.

Partway through catching up with the thread I was gonna say what @Medic! said, but then he said it.
As he said, Glock slides have much less surface area and they're thinner resulting in MUCH less friction between the frame and slide. It's actually a large selling point for me because you can get away with doing a super crappy lube job or sand and crud getting in there. Not that I want stuff all up in there, but if you get an excess of lint or sand in there, it still works.
Not to say my gun is better than your gun. Just felt like throwing it out there and couldn't fight the urge. I'm not a Glock rep or anything. :D

Now my $.02 on the issue...
My first guess would be lube.
My initial thought at a solution was to use copper lube because it works down to something like -40 or -60 depending on the brand/quality/who you ask, but I'm not so sure it would be a good idea in your situation since copper lube is thicker than oil and there is less room between the frame and slide (as we were just saying) and it may be too thick. Anyone have ideas, other insights, or experience with copper lube in non-glocks, especially where the slide/frame fit very closely and have no room between them?
Edit: typo fixed

Last Edited:
I don't think its the lube. Any of the recent conditions we've had outdoors here in the PNW are not anywhere near extreme enough to affect the gun.

Its either the shooter (limp wristing) or something mechanical (worn springs, dirty ammo/gun etc.)

This has nothing to do with the 1911 having larger rail surfaces than modern designs. The gun has performed up to 100% reliability down to -65 deg F with common every day lubricants.

I seriously doubt 25* (thats positive 25*) and some little wet moisture from melted snow, rain or whatever while reloading is the problem.

Cold Weather 1911

lubricant.png

Last Edited:
I don't think its the lube. Any of the recent conditions we've had outdoors here in the PNW are not anywhere near extreme enough to affect the gun.

Its either the shooter (limp wristing) or something mechanical (worn springs, dirty ammo/gun etc.)

This has nothing to do with the 1911 having larger rail surfaces than modern designs. The gun has performed up to 100% reliability down to -65 deg F with common every day lubricants.

I seriously doubt 25* (thats positive 25*) and some little wet moisture from melted snow while reloading is the problem.

Cold Weather 1911

View attachment 337660

Great video. Looks like Break Free didn't do so well, but I've had no issues with it at the temps that I experience. Then again, I use the same guidelines Bob Hope used for golf. He used to say "I like to play in the low 70's. If it gets any hotter than that I'll stay in the bar!"

I was actually surprised Rem Oil did so well I always thought it got bad reviews. Ive never used it.

We might get down to the teens round here, worst case... maybe a bit lower in Eastern Oregon, but no where near -65. At least I know what oil to use in case though, lol.

Many 1911s have almost zero slide play. I would bet and older rattling 1911 would be more reliable in adverse conditions. I have a few thousand through mine. And still as tight as a frogs bung. Can't afford to break em in.

I seriously doubt 25* (thats positive 25*) and some little wet moisture from melted snow, rain or whatever while reloading is the problem.

Cold Weather 1911

View attachment 337660

That was a great video.
Pretty much slapped me up side the head though...
Breakfree is typically my go to oil, and while I have a can of rem oil I grabbed once when I couldn't find anything else and needed something quick, I call it my expendable can and use it more for cleaning than lubricating...
Thanks for sharing that!

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top