JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's good to know. Thanks. The argument for a std 1911 is compelling. Buy I really like the exact model you pictured.
If you're planning on using it for concealed carry, I can rock a 5" Government IWB with a t-shirt and shorts. I carry a 4" Officer or a Beretta 92 Compact OWB most days.

As far as I can tell from reading the preceding posts no-one has suggested a standard OFFICER sized 1911. That surprises me. There are many manufacturers that produce officer sized 1911's (3.5" barrel - typically) in 9mm.

I have Ruger SR 1911's in Goverment, Commander and Officer sized. The officer is a 9mm and is an excellent shooter. It's almost the exact same dimensions as my Glock 19's.

RIA, Colt, Springfield, they all manufacture officer sized 1911's.

From what I gather from the OP's original post size is the issue.
But I do find a full size too large. And I prefer 9mm
A 3.5" barrel Officer 1911 could possibly fit the bill.

Take what you like an leave the rest.

Cheers

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 9.35.45 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 9.37.04 AM.png

As far as I can tell from reading the preceding posts no-one has suggested a standard OFFICER sized 1911. That surprises me. There are many manufacturers that produce officer sized 1911's (3.5" barrel - typically) in 9mm.

I have Ruger SR 1911's in Goverment, Commander and Officer sized. The officer is a 9mm and is an excellent shooter. It's almost the exact same dimensions as my Glock 19's.

RIA, Colt, Springfield, they all manufacture officer sized 1911's.

From what I gather from the OP's original post size is the issue.

A 3.5" barreled Officer 1911 could possible fit the bill.

Take what you like an leave the rest.

Cheers

View attachment 1452935 View attachment 1452936
I mentioned the Colt Defender, which is 3". One thing to be aware of with the 3", is that they recommend spring replacements every few thousand rounds.

I've looked at a Defender. They are pretty cool. Pricey, but way cool.
I had a DW ECO in 45acp that my buddy bought off of me, and I bought a Wilson. The DW was a great little pistol. IMO, if I were to spend less, it would be the Defender, Ruger then RIA (Sorry Springfield fans).

The Defender has the firing pin safety.

I think this is another situation where you would best be served by visiting gun ranges with pistol rentals and try to shoot a variety of the style you are looking for...
That style (1911 - 9mm - commander) will be not as common as striker-fired polymer guns and it may take some searching to find a range that has multiples.
But, the effort could save you from quickly selling another gun you just bought.

It depends on your priorities, but as mentioned by others I would also consider a metal frame compact Beretta - CZ - Sig - etc. Similar in size to the 1911 with a higher capacity of rounds.

Last Edited:
It depends on your priorities, but as mentioned by others I would also consider a metal frame compact Beretta - CZ - Sig - etc. Similar in size to the 1911 with a higher capacity of rounds.
FYI, the Beretta 92 Compact is the same size as the G19, and is pushing the dimensions of the G17, but a bit fatter.

I really appreciate all the thoughts and advice. I'm curious what opinions people have of Kimber and the KIMBER 1911 STAINLESS PRO CARRY II. The price is on par with S.A. [Actually it looks like one of these company copies the other, I started to wonder if they were under same ownership.]

I really appreciate all the thoughts and advice. I'm curious what opinions people have of Kimber and the KIMBER 1911 STAINLESS PRO CARRY II. The price is on par with S.A. [Actually it looks like one of these company copies the other, I started to wonder if they were under same ownership.]
Shoot it first

Hi all. I don't have a lot of experience with 1911s. But I do find a full size too large. And I prefer 9mm. A few years ago I bought and quickly sold a Browning 1911-380. Great idea for my wants… but too small. Yesterday I got to shoot a Springfield EMP 4 in 9mm. This one felt great for me. Though it had some feeding issues and a little web research suggesting that's common.

Anyone have suggestions or advice for the best EMP sized (specifically grip circumference) 9mm 1911?

Much appreciated
Red
Ed Brown makes a great 1911 in 9mm

Hi all. I don't have a lot of experience with 1911s. But I do find a full size too large. And I prefer 9mm. A few years ago I bought and quickly sold a Browning 1911-380. Great idea for my wants… but too small. Yesterday I got to shoot a Springfield EMP 4 in 9mm. This one felt great for me. Though it had some feeding issues and a little web research suggesting that's common.

Anyone have suggestions or advice for the best EMP sized (specifically grip circumference) 9mm 1911?

Much appreciated
Red
Check out Star Firestars.

Depends on how small you're trying to go. Sig has their P238 (.380) and P938 (9mm) series of handguns. I owned a P938 about 5 years ago and that thing was a tack driver for its size but its weight to magazine capacity ratio was a bit out of wack.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews