JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had this happen a couple times lately with my Colt LW Commander 45. It usually goes like this:

1. I shoot through my pre-loaded mags (FMJ ball ammo). Everything is hunky dory.
  2. It starts to rain/snow while I'm reloading the mags (FMJ ball).
  3. I try to keep the rounds dry but it's impossible to prevent some moisture getting on them and into the mags.
  4. I get a mis-feed on one or two mags (never the same mag) about halfway through.
This happens randomly with my Colt mags, and with my Wilson Combat mags. So far, I haven't been lucky enough to have a completely dry day (it's the Northwest after all), so I don't have a dry control to compare it to. But I suspect wet rounds can cause mis-feeds.

Does this correspond to your experiences?

I have seen similar issues with metal mags. Sometimes things will oxidize or get gummed up on the inside of the magazine where the follower contacts the sides. A little clp and a brush or dremmel tool on the inside of the mag walls may help things become slidier:) pnw weather can be a bubblegum on metal parts. Usually wet bullets aren't an issue unless they are left for a while and get gummy or oxidized, but that doesn'tt sound like your situation.

but that doesn'tt sound like your situation.

Yeah. The mags are all new – within the last 6 months at least – and they only time they've had contact with moisture is the last couple times I've been outside shooting.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion. I will take a close look at the mags, just to be sure.

Yeah. The mags are all new – within the last 6 months at least – and they only time they've had contact with moisture is the last couple times I've been outside shooting.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion. I will take a close look at the mags, just to be sure.
Another thought regarding

Another thought would be potential for the weather effecting the slide speed via viscocity change of the lubrication being used? just spittballing here :)

Misfeed meaning it gets stuck in the magazine and never properly strips? Or is it stripped from the mag and doesn't make it up the feed ramp properly, getting stuck at the chamber entry?

Do you tap your mags when you feed the bullets so all of them are seated identically? Feed a round or two, tap the mag so the butt of the round is seated at the back end of the magazine. It really makes a difference with my loading of 223 and 308.
The only times I've had a pistol misfeed is when I've limp wristed the gun. It's wet: are you grabbing the gun firmly enough?

Another thought would be potential for the weather effecting the slide speed via viscocity change of the lubrication being used? just spittballing here :)

Interesting idea. The temp today is around freezing. The last time it was in the 20's (F).

There was time between pre-loads and re-fills for the gun to cool off (about a half hour). I'll have to check the ratings for Hopp's lubricant to see what the working range is.

Or is it stripped from the mag and doesn't make it up the feed ramp properly, getting stuck at the chamber entry?

This.

Do you tap your mags when you feed the bullets so all of them are seated identically? Feed a round or two, tap the mag so the butt of the round is seated at the back end of the magazine. It really makes a difference with my loading of 223 and 308.
The mags click when they are properly inserted into the pistol. They don't come loose. I don't think that's the issue.

The only times I've had a pistol misfeed is when I've limp wristed the gun. It's wet: are you grabbing the gun firmly enough?
Now this may be a possibility. I can't say for sure, but I think it happens when I'm shooting rapid fire, and I may be losing concentration and loosening my grip ever so slightly about 3 or 4 shots in. I'll have to take note of it next time.

Ever think you and your hands are just cold? o_O
Could be. I'm constantly reaching into the snow to pick up brass. Maybe I'm unconsciously loosening my grip, like P7id0T suggested.

Interesting idea. The temp today is around freezing. The last time it was in the 20's (F).

There was time between pre-loads and re-fills for the gun to cool off (about a half hour). I'll have to check the ratings for Hopp's lubricant to see what the working range is.

My M1a and other old grease lube guns need to be cared for differently, or they have issues in the cold weather. The other thing that I would look into would be your ammunitions powder type. Not a "scientemologist" here but I understand powder burns faster at higher temps. I wonder if a slow cartridge like a 45 may be slowed enough to short stroke on occasion?

Thanks, everyone. I'll re-evaluate my lubricant, and I'm gonna pay attention to my grip during quick fire practice. It may be as simple as that.

My M1a and other old grease lube guns need to be cared for differently, or they have issues in the cold weather. The other thing that I would look into would be your ammunitions powder type. Not a "scientemologist" here but I understand powder burns faster at higher temps. I wonder if a slow cartridge like a 45 may be slowed enough to short stroke on occasion?

I don't think so. I've shot a ton of reloads with all kinds of powder and never had that issue. The only time I get failure to feed on .45ACP is when I forget to lube it.

My wife's Sig stovepiped witj the fist mag. It was about 20 degrees out. I stripped it and got a little generous with the MiliTec1 and it ran perfect the rest of the day.

All this happened even tho we stripped it down and lubed it the night before, but I did wipe most lube off before reassembly

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top