JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Standard Commander in 9mm. Alloy frame if that is an issue. Clones abound. Originals are scarce and usually expensive.

BBR 3.10 9mm ?

Tisas 1911 Carry B9 (R) with or without rail

Beretta 84 DA/SA in 380

Tisas Fatih 13 ^^^^ same only different

Girsan MC 1911 C

Just spit balling here because I have little interest.
You may have though.
Thanjs for these suggestions. Standard Commander has a full size grip though, right? My favorite part of the EMP is the reduced grip dimensions.

Thanjs for these suggestions. Standard Commander has a full size grip though, right? My favorite part of the EMP is the reduced grip dimensions.
The grip dimensions are altered by the girth of the grip panels, the frame is going to have the same dimensions, thus the interchangeability of magazines. Pick the model that trips your trigger and put slim grip panels on it, that should satisfy your reduced grip dimensions.

Mr. solv3nt? Animal-Mother will see you now….
IMG_0851.jpeg

Nightmare stovepipe.
I feel like I've even seen a training video on locking the slide back and sweeping the stuck empty. But couldn't remember which guns would require such phuqerry.
To be fair, after doing my second oil change on my guardian (~7000rds), I put in too heavy of a recoil spring and started getting stovepipes like that.

And yea, sweeping the hand back over the slide helps kick the brass out and let the slide back into battery.

Although, using the correct recoil spring was an even better choice.

One of my carry guns is an EMP4 contour carry . They have an early production known feeding issue with hollowpoint ammo. Mine had that problem. I contacted SA and sent it back to them for a quick rework. I had it back in about a week and it has been running flawless since. I like it a lot for slimline carry.

Bigger moral to the story. ALWAYS run some of your self defense ammo through your piece for function. It's painful to the wallet BUT. Mine worked flawlessly with round nose ammo (practice ammo) HP failed to feed. It would have been one and done for me.

Good luck with your search

IMG-0500.jpg

The EMP was built from the ground up as a 9mm gun and is an excellent choice. 45s modified to shoot 9mm sometimes have feeding issues.

The original Colt Commander (1911) was chambered in 9mm to fill a NATO requirement for the Army, although the Army never bought it. Original Colt Commanders are worth a fortune but Tisas makes an excellent clone for around 4 bills.

The ergonomics of the 1911 are near unbeatable. It is also worth also checking out the Hi-Power in 9mm. These two pistols are in many ways contemporaries, both with extensive police, civilian, and military history.

How do these modern smaller 9mm 1911 style pistols compare to the Star BM family?

Bruce
The Star BM pistols are slick little guns, I have 2 of them, both $300-$350 Spanish Civil Guard surplus. One ran great from start, other had extraction/ejection problems. The replacement Star extractors & extractor springs I tried were not fixing the problem, and I suspect that the parts place was sending a different spring. I read that CZ75 extractor springs worked, so I used a CZ75 extractor spring on that one, and suddenly all of the extractors worked. Both pistols now run and both feed HPs. I put pretty wood grips on and I've run about 100 different HP rds thru each without problem, 115-147 gr HPs. Probably have at least 400+ assorted rds thru each, mostly 147 gr reloads, some WWB, AmericanEagle, Blazer and whatever else cheap blasting ammo I had around. I've used the formerly-balky pistol in 2 matches without failure, IIRC. They are long out of production, parts are slowly drying up. I'd carry them if needed but think they are better as surplus gun project/range fun, or as loaners.

One of my carry guns is an EMP4 contour carry . They have an early production known feeding issue with hollowpoint ammo. Mine had that problem. I contacted SA and sent it back to them for a quick rework. I had it back in about a week and it has been running flawless since. I like it a lot for slimline carry.

Bigger moral to the story. ALWAYS run some of your self defense ammo through your piece for function. It's painful to the wallet BUT. Mine worked flawlessly with round nose ammo (practice ammo) HP failed to feed. It would have been one and done for me.

Good luck with your search

View attachment 1452917
That's good to know. Thanks. The argument for a std 1911 is compelling. But I really like the exact model you pictured. I'm going to have to give it a go.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews