JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For Government model size and Commander size, I definitely prefer the GI setup. I think the perported smoothness and/or reliability improvements are generally overblown. Some of the two-pieces can also start to walk out of their threads, and the FLGR is more annoying than whatever the precieved benefit of them is to me. I love 1911s and EDC one. Give it to me like JMB intended: 5", GI guide rod, .45acp. Less to go wrong, easier to maintain, and true to the spirit of that amazing fighting pistol.

For Officer or Compact/Defender guns, I don't mind them as much and in my experience can help them run better.

ETA: I could see having a really sloppy slide to frame fit benefitting from a FLGR if it really bothers you, but to me, the juice ain't worth the squeeze. I think of them as kind of a '90s/2000s fad.

For Government model size and Commander size, I definitely prefer the GI setup. I think the perported smoothness and/or reliability improvements are generally overblown. Some of the two-pieces can also start to walk out of their threads, and the FLGR is more annoying than whatever the precieved benefit of them is to me. I love 1911s and EDC one. Give it to me like JMB intended: 5", GI guide rod, .45acp. Less to go wrong, easier to maintain, and true to the spirit of that amazing fighting pistol.

For Officer or Compact/Defender guns, I don't mind them as much and in my experience can help them run better.

ETA: I could see having a really sloppy slide to frame fit benefitting from a FLGR if it really bothers you, but to me, the juice ain't worth the squeeze. I think of them as kind of a '90s/2000s fad.
All of this. :) The FLGR is a solution in search of a problem

There are no advantages to FLGRs in 1911s, the disadvantage is more difficult disassembly.

I probably should start popping some popcorn....

I have more than a few high end 1911s. Some were delivered with a the original short rod and some with the full length captive types. I don't worry about it and defer to John Moses Browning. The original works fine.

Cheers

I have more than a few high end 1911s. Some were delivered with a the original short rod and some with the full length captive types. I don't worry about it and defer to John Moses Browning. The original works fine.

Cheers
I've owned to Officers sized 1911s. Neither had the full length guide rod and both were excellent performers. I did have a problem on one of them with firing pin safety, which is the source of my mistrust of the "Series 80" style.

Im kinda surprised someone hasn't come along and refuted the claims that FLGRs don't help. Maybe its been long enough now the diehards are finally getting tired of using tools to field strip their 1911s only to not shoot them any better than their GI Guiderod friends. I dunno....

(ducks and runs for cover)

Im kinda surprised someone hasn't come along and refuted the claims that FLGRs don't help. Maybe its been long enough now the diehards are finally getting tired of using tools to field strip their 1911s only to not shoot them any better than their GI Guiderod friends. I dunno....

(ducks and runs for cover)
Not trying to pick a fight, but what are the advantages to a FLGR? I only had one 1911 with one and if functioned no differently than the others.

Interesting thread as I have questioned this as well.

I have a couple of 4" 1911's with bull bbl's, which are a different animal. But, also have 3 5" ones. Two have the GI rod, one with FLGR. The one with the FLGR is a Springfield TRP, it is a 2 piece guide rod and I do not enjoy field stripping that gun. Been considering changing that out for the GI length but the tolerances on that gun are tight and I'm not sure what the result would be. Guess I gotta try it and find out.

Thanks for the replies from each of you, and thanks to the OP for posting this.

Much appreciated.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads