JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just check the barrel to make sure it's clear.

How to cure Stupid.jpg

I've considered it (but never done it) for muzzleloader hunting. I haven't had many muzzleloader tags though.

Never really considered tape for rifle hunting and I'm a SNOB (Son of a Native Oregonian Born). Been hunting for 50+ years without any troubles despite a lot of wet days in the woods.

Never. Neither Muzzle Loader or Rifle.
It was pouring cats and dogs on one of my muzzle hunts, posted on the forum, "how do I keep my flintlock dry"?
@Andy54Hawken suggested oil cloth or leather. On my way to the hunt, stopped in at Goodwill, picked up a supple leather purse (yes, real leather), cut it up and it has been my flint lock cover since. It rained all that weekend, kept my powder perfectly dry.

Never put tape over the muzzle, even when the rain was really coming down. Never had an issue, and since the rest of the rifle is out in the weather any rifle or handgun that gets wet when hunting gets thoroughly cleaned and oiled when I get home anyway.

It doesn't affect accuracy so its a good idea in any conditions. Ive found a pine needle down my barrel once, Ive slipped and fell another time and had to use a boresnake to get the dirt out of the muzzle. Also reduces any rust on the rifling lands near the crown.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews