JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi all. I don't have a lot of experience with 1911s. But I do find a full size too large. And I prefer 9mm. A few years ago I bought and quickly sold a Browning 1911-380. Great idea for my wants… but too small. Yesterday I got to shoot a Springfield EMP 4 in 9mm. This one felt great for me. Though it had some feeding issues and a little web research suggesting that's common.

Anyone have suggestions or advice for the best EMP sized (specifically grip circumference) 9mm 1911?

Much appreciated
Red
What about a Colt Defender. Sort of a modern day version of the old 1911 Officer's model, but in 9mm.

Dan Wesson won

I looked at a lot of pistols. I shot as many as I could.

I bought a DW ECP. Absolutely impressed. Highly refined and very accurate.

Thanks for helping explore 1911s and pick a great one!

Hi all. I don't have a lot of experience with 1911s. But I do find a full size too large. And I prefer 9mm. A few years ago I bought and quickly sold a Browning 1911-380. Great idea for my wants… but too small. Yesterday I got to shoot a Springfield EMP 4 in 9mm. This one felt great for me. Though it had some feeding issues and a little web research suggesting that's common.

Anyone have suggestions or advice for the best EMP sized (specifically grip circumference) 9mm 1911?

Much appreciated
Red
It's probably already been said, but Browning High Power aka FN-35 Grand Puissance. 13+1 rounds of 9mm goodness in a package specifically designed for it.

Kimber Micro 9 is pretty slick.
Looks like this…. These are highly concealable arms, makes a nice dress up gun when deep concealment is a must.

IMG_7030.jpeg

Kimber Micro 9 is pretty slick.
My wife won one with the fancy elk grips at an RMEF banquet a few years ago. Sweet looking little pistol. The fiber optic front sight blew out on the third or fourth shot. :eek: Must have been a known issue as the gun came with replacement fiber optic rods. I put a new one in, and it has held up since. She hasn't shot it a ton though. For such a small gun, it is easy on the shooter. My wife is a smaller person who doesn't enjoy recoil, and she enjoys shooting the Micro 9.

My wife won one with the fancy elk grips at an RMEF banquet a few years ago. Sweet looking little pistol. The fiber optic front sight blew out on the third or fourth shot. :eek: Must have been a known issue as the gun came with replacement fiber optic rods. I put a new one in, and it has held up since. She hasn't shot it a ton though. For such a small gun, it is easy on the shooter. My wife is a smaller person who doesn't enjoy recoil, and she enjoys shooting the Micro 9.
They are cool little pistols!

Did Browning (or anyone else) make a compact version of the old Hi-Power?
Yes, FM-Rosario in Argentina does (or did). Not as highly finished but otherwise as well made, being a licensed version of the FN. They made the shorter "Detective" model to the same standards. I owned the full-sized version and can attest to the quality of the FM-Rosario pistols. I've owned a variety of HP's over the years and IF I was into another BHP, (instead of, say, another Glock19) I'd consider the FM before FEG or Tisas clones for the quality and interchangablity of parts with the Browning. I'd go for a "Detective" if one was available, all parts interchange except the slide. A google indicates these are hard to find, just sayin'....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads