JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I first started this thread, I never thought it would jump to 4 pages, so I am glad most of you enjoy it. I love reading others thoughts. Most I agree and some I disagree with, but never the less, its fun to have my mind bent on a lot of this.
Yes, I love having surplus, I have a good number of rounds now, but I also need to label and date so I can rotate it out and use some of it.
Now I spent a while in the military, my load out was usually only 7 mags on my body (rifle) and 3 for my side arm, and one for my backup. One thing I did learn was to conserve, "One who runs out of ammo first losses the battle". I was taught at the very start of my career that one round was always better than 3 round burst and or full auto. Make every round count like it was your last, identify and neutralize your threat, save your rounds for the next battle. With that being said, I can't and will not be able to carry 1000 rounds on my person. In a home defense scenerio, the home owner with his/her weapon should always have the upper hand in the battle, the threat does not know your layout of you home, you should draw the threat to your comfort zone to neutrilize the threat, time and enviroment is on your side. The way I look at it, if you train on your weapon, and different scenerios in your home, the 1 to 3 threats entering your home should be neutralized in under 30 rounds, that is with stress and nerves playing a part. Most fire fights between people in a civilian setting are pretty short. Usually the upper hand goes to the skilled marksman that commits all their training to muscle memory. I am sure you can pull 80 youtube videos about 30 min gun fights, but in that time, I would hope the authorities are at the scene by then to help me out. I have been taught the average gun fight is 3-5 seconds long with an average distance of 21 feet or below. So make every round count folks. So now i pushed my thought on you and your wondering what that has to do with your load out, its more of this. I like keeping rounds around for my ablity to shoot when I want, I don't really have a SHTF scenerio of multiple threats in my agenda, call me un prepared, but that likely hood is not really something I think about. Plus, if I burn through 33 mags in a gun fight, or more than 5000 rounds, i am in deep do-do, i most in likely will not survive the task of reloading those mags once I burn through them (Even with stripper clips).
So my thought, I like to keep rounds around for home defense, and for the next time a politician threatens gun rights, that makes people run to the store and buys everything they own. So actually i need a faster car to beat most of you guys to the store lol. Good convo folks, thanks for your thoughts.

When I first started this thread, I never thought it would jump to 4 pages, so I am glad most of you enjoy it. I love reading others thoughts. Most I agree and some I disagree with, but never the less, its fun to have my mind bent on a lot of this.

Yes, I love having surplus, I have a good number of rounds now, but I also need to label and date so I can rotate it out and use some of it.

Now I spent a while in the military, my load out was usually only 7 mags on my body (rifle) and 3 for my side arm, and one for my backup. One thing I did learn was to conserve, "One who runs out of ammo first losses the battle". I was taught at the very start of my career that one round was always better than 3 round burst and or full auto. Make every round count like it was your last, identify and neutralize your threat, save your rounds for the next battle. With that being said, I can't and will not be able to carry 1000 rounds on my person. In a home defense scenerio, the home owner with his/her weapon should always have the upper hand in the battle, the threat does not know your layout of you home, you should draw the threat to your comfort zone to neutrilize the threat, time and enviroment is on your side. The way I look at it, if you train on your weapon, and different scenerios in your home, the 1 to 3 threats entering your home should be neutralized in under 30 rounds, that is with stress and nerves playing a part. Most fire fights between people in a civilian setting are pretty short. Usually the upper hand goes to the skilled marksman that commits all their training to muscle memory. I am sure you can pull 80 youtube videos about 30 min gun fights, but in that time, I would hope the authorities are at the scene by then to help me out. I have been taught the average gun fight is 3-5 seconds long with an average distance of 21 feet or below. So make every round count folks. So now i pushed my thought on you and your wondering what that has to do with your load out, its more of this. I like keeping rounds around for my ablity to shoot when I want, I don't really have a SHTF scenerio of multiple threats in my agenda, call me un prepared, but that likely hood is not really something I think about. Plus, if I burn through 33 mags in a gun fight, or more than 5000 rounds, i am in deep do-do, i most in likely will not survive the task of reloading those mags once I burn through them (Even with stripper clips).

So my thought, I like to keep rounds around for home defense, and for the next time a politician threatens gun rights, that makes people run to the store and buys everything they own. So actually i need a faster car to beat most of you guys to the store lol. Good convo folks, thanks for your thoughts.

My responses were more for SHTF.

Society sucks.

If a gun fight were to happen in SHTF I would have 7 rifle mags on me. This is what I have trained with and know. The rest of my loot is for others. Those who will be gathering with me that are only going to be bringing 1-3 thousand into the mix.

Gun fight with multiple intruders at the house in current day society. I have a shotgun by my bed side with 8 rounds in the tube. If that doesn't do the trick, God help me.

Out in public in current day society I'm SOL. No CCW for another 5 months. Otherwise I would probably only have my kel tec and a spare mag which adds to 12 rounds.

When society crumbles I will be in fear of gangs. I want to arm those around me quickly and have the means of doing so. Thugs and low life's don't care about how much ammo you have. They'll kill you and rape your wife for a 50 round box of 22. You might not even get lucky enough to fight them. Might just get lucky enough to get a warning they are coming your way, and in that case get the hell out of the way.

I'm in a new situation as of lately. My go to place is 10 hours away. The folks I would arm are too. So don't think because I have a bunch of ammo I feel better off. Really I'm not. Part of my role was guns and ammo. Others did things like, have a nice plot of land in the middle of the desert with a water source. All in all if it came down to it I would see which of my neighbors seem worthy enough, arm them and bug out.

On that note. once I meet a few of you, I may start inquiring the means of getting a group together?

After all that said, a thousand rounds cache for yourself is not a bad number at all. Especially of you can make them count.

And why is 12,000 inadequate?

Math!

Lets just say you shoot a modest 100 rds/month, or basically 3-30rd mags. That is 1200 rds/year or a 10 year supply. So if you shoot more then that the supply goes down.

Another reason is cost. Ammo is much cheeper now then it will be in the future. One reason I am buying now, and have been for a long time is cost. I don't shoot near as much as I would like right now but I have more in loose/misc ammo then many have "stocked". I would rather buy ammo now at a lower price, while I am working and when I get extra $$ buy some extra then later when I may be on a fixed income. In 20+ years I can still be shooting 7.62x39 that I paid under $0.10/rd for. How about .308 that I paid $0.21/rd for?

Oh, yeah forgot about that, i'll be on a similar wait as i have to register something else with the Gov first. Good news is my holster has been shipped today!

A load out is obviously different than a stockpile.

One can only carry so much into a fight, and having so much ammo around (loaded magazines) during a fight is only going to go so far based on the amount of adversaries.

If you're alone, you'll only be able to hold off so many people, before you might get over run.

Having 2-3k rounds per fighting firearm (FF) is my goal, and having at least 5-7 loaded magazines per FF ready to go is a must. Having a FF ready for every able body shooting person in the house is also a must.

When I say 2-3k per FF, that does not include the stockpile...that's a minimum that does not get touched. Anything above that is training ammo.

Shotguns because of their versatility should have a variety of rounds available. Up to 1k per type...meaning slug, 00 Buck, #4, 5, or 6 etc.
Hunting rifles should have an ample amount to last for a few years...500-1k per caliber is not unrealistic.

So much for ammo prices going back down... Oh well, I'll just keep buying up 7.62x39 & 54r, because they've gone back to normal essentially. Wish 5.45x39 would dip down. If I have less than 1000 in each caliber I feel depleted and have to buy more. I've only gotten serious about keeping ammo on hand for 3 years and already have a decent stockpile.

I don't know if I'm relieved I can post about how much ammo I have on the Internet now because I'm sure the NSA already knows.

A load out is obviously different than a stockpile.

One can only carry so much into a fight, and having so much ammo around (loaded magazines) during a fight is only going to go so far based on the amount of adversaries.

If you're alone, you'll only be able to hold off so many people, before you might get over run.

Having 2-3k rounds per fighting firearm (FF) is my goal, and having at least 5-7 loaded magazines per FF ready to go is a must. Having a FF ready for every able body shooting person in the house is also a must.

When I say 2-3k per FF, that does not include the stockpile...that's a minimum that does not get touched. Anything above that is training ammo.

Shotguns because of their versatility should have a variety of rounds available. Up to 1k per type...meaning slug, 00 Buck, #4, 5, or 6 etc.
Hunting rifles should have an ample amount to last for a few years...500-1k per caliber is not unrealistic.

Very good point. I would say that six mags should be the minimum, and ten being optimal. However, I know when I have ten or eleven magazines in my webgear, I really start to notice the weight. If I were to bug out, I'd probably put six or seven in my web pouches, and the rest in my BOB or BOV......why I like my AK-74. :)

Very good point. I would say that six mags should be the minimum, and ten being optimal. However, I know when I have ten or eleven magazines in my webgear, I really start to notice the weight. If I were to bug out, I'd probably put six or seven in my web pouches, and the rest in my BOB or BOV......why I like my AK-74. :)

I train with 6 on my chest rig. It is a lot of weight when loaded. I keep 4 pistol mags on my left hip and a drop leg dump bag on the left. Pistol holstered on the right hip. Rifle across the chest. Rucksack on my back. If anything bad happens I would probably have 4-6 more mags of both in the pack. Maybe some ammo.

I plan to get plates eventually. Hopefully sooner than when needed!

This would be my "get out" load if on foot.

I need to get the pack more situated for Oregon though. Seeing as I had planned for carrying more water in NV, I may be able to add weight in food or ammo instead of water.

I train with 6 on my chest rig. It is a lot of weight when loaded. I keep 4 pistol mags on my left hip and a drop leg dump bag on the left. Pistol holstered on the right hip. Rifle across the chest. Rucksack on my back. If anything bad happens I would probably have 4-6 more mags of both in the pack. Maybe some ammo.

I plan to get plates eventually. Hopefully sooner than when needed!

This would be my "get out" load if on foot.

I need to get the pack more situated for Oregon though. Seeing as I had planned for carrying more water in NV, I may be able to add weight in food or ammo instead of water.

Keep it as light as possible

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top