JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was doing some ammo inventory tonight, something I have not done in a while, and found I am a little low on one caliber, so I was wondering, am I just a weirdo, or are their others out there that like a minimum amount of ammo per caliber that they like to keep on hand?

When you feel comfortable knowing you have enough. That's when you have enough. For me, I never have enough.

If you actually have an accurate count to the nearest hundred of how much ammo you have it is not enough.

Like others have said for some guns I may have less then 100 loaded rounds for like my Trapdoor Springfield. I cast and load my own ammo for it and will never be a go to gun. For others I might be able to give you a count that is within maybe 500rds.

One thing I found amusing with the "magazine" rush last year was people planing on buying 20+ AR mags but had less then a case of ammo on hand. If you have 20 loaded 30rd mags that is 600rds right there. I would much rather have 5 mags and 3 cases of ammo then the other way around.

500 per pistol caliber (not a huge pistol guy but want to have enough on hand)
To which Ive retained 500 per pistol caliber for a while and just shoot new stuff Ive picked up.
9 has been a little slim, but Ive got some .45 practice in!

With the .308 is where Im lacking. Less than 300 rounds.

But I shoot for 500rnds stored, per rifle that accepts mags.
ARs and AKs.. All others about 250 rounds is all I have on hand .270, 54r, 30-06.

I usually only stock up what I shoot most.

But I think 500-1000 minimum is a good affordable base number per rifle. (Unless .22LR)

Anymore than that and Id need to take out a loan.

The "panic" really did open my eyes to what I should have on hand and just buy ammo when I want to go out and train.

For me, it is 2k minimum for SHTF rifles. For secondary/recreational rifles, it is 250
rounds.
For my SHTF pistols (9mm and .45 ACP), 500 rounds each.

Also, for the most part, I separate my recreational/practice/training stock and my SHTF reserve, to ensure that I'll always know I have enough for a rainy day.

My SHTF calibers are 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 7.62 NATO. I also have about 600 rds of 6.8 SPC.
My secondary calibers are .303 Brit, 6.5x55 Swede, .30-06, 8mm, and 7mm French. There are others firearms of various calibers (.45-70, .30 carbine, .22-250, .30-30, .44 mag, .45 LC, etc...in which I probably have less than 100 rds per.

I also have about 3k .22LR.

13000 min for the SHTF rifle, and 10,000 for the pistol. Also make sure to have spare parts for both! Firing pins, springs etc.

This is the post I agree with the most.

I didn't go down the spare parts route. Just got a spare gun or two instead.

I'll add 20k of 22 for practice too.

Oddball calibers I try to keep a thousand of or so.

Also hunting ammo. I try to keep a thousand or so of birdshot, number 4, as well as my rifle hunting rounds.

I try to buy 20 dollars in ammo a week. Over the coarse of a few years you'll have a good amount.

This thread makes me feel better....like we're in group therapy.

" Hi, my name is simon99 and I have ( X amount) of ammo"......

I always laugh when the media makes a big deal and says, " and the individual had an arsenal including a stockpile of 1000 rounds of ammo"

Only 1000? Time to re-stock bro.

I try to buy 20 dollars in ammo a week. Over the coarse of a few years you'll have a good amount.

^this. This is how one can afford to slowly stock pile ammo.
Little bits here and there.
Its that next book/movie, bottle of whiskey or date with your woman.. Everyone can afford to cut budget somewhere.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top