JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Per rifle/ pistol?........ Ok.

And I thought I had a good stash. :( :( :(

So if I had 12,000 per rifle/ 9,000 pistol, would I be hurting?

And if I had 10 of the same rifle, I'd need 130,000 rd? Wow... I need a new hobby.

Adapt your thinking. There is a reason the most common ammo for military use is 5.56. No need to have 130K rounds nor 10 of the same rifle for actual engagements....unless your running an M134.

Not all of us live out in the country.

Then you need to prep according to your needs and expected SHTF. Just because having 100k of ammo on hand does not fit your plans, it does not mean that is the same for everyone else.

If I had to bug out of my location things have gotten real bad.

Before you know how to plan you need to decide what SHTF means to you. Is it a tsunami? Wildland fire? Hurricane? Rolling black outs? Dollar collapse? Bio attack? TEOTWAWKI? After you have decided what to prep for only then can you start. I know a tsunami is nowhere in my plans, but wildland fire is. I am assuming living in "Seattle" the opposite might be true for you.

Most of us plan on bugging in.
Bugging out is an absolute last resort.
What I carry and what I store are two different things.
I carry enough to get home.
Once home, I have enough to address any issues that should arise.. :)

Ok that's understandable.

Am I crazy thinking 13,000 per rifle and 10,000 per pistol is far fetched?

Ok that's understandable.

Am I crazy thinking 13,000 per rifle and 10,000 per pistol is far fetched?
If I had the time/cash thats exactly what Id shoot for.
1000 is easy to burn in a single day range session/training camp for a rifle.

Personally I try any consolidate platforms and calibers.
5.56 and 7.62x39 are my primary intermediate calibers and I try to have 500-1000 per rifle.
I own quite a few AKs and a few ARs.. It adds up quick.. And space is hard to come by. Its one of the reasons I split everything up and keep it in different locations.

If only I had the income to maintain that for my .308's.

If I had the time/cash thats exactly what Id shoot for.
1000 is easy to burn in a single day range session/training camp for a rifle.

Personally I try any consolidate platforms and calibers.
5.56 and 7.62x39 are my primary intermediate calibers and I try to have 500-1000 per rifle.
I own quite a few AKs and a few ARs.. It adds up quick.. And space is hard to come by. Its one of the reasons I split everything up and keep it in different locations.

If only I had the income to maintain that for my .308's.

Gotcha, I collect AK's and have more than 1k each rifle. I think that's more realistic. I consolidated a while back to about 9 calibers for handguns/rifles.

IMHO From my former experience, you need handguns because they are concealable protection from personal attack @ close range, 25 feet or so, I'm not a big fan of pistols over long guns, if only on a practical level. So for me, packing a handgun w/5 mags and a rifle w/7 mags in a WROL situation is weight wasted on the handgun/mags.
So my handgun 'load-out' is much lighter and mostly aimed towards training.
Lacking Mortars, Arty and MGs, Men with Rifles win battles

If you have had any military experience you'll understand why 1000 is such a small number. Realistically speaking in a gun fight you can waste 600 rounds really quickly. That's only 20 magazines.

Real world situation your not going to have one lone dog survivalist attacking you. You'll more likely have a gang of multiple people attacking you. Your loot is their target.

I plan on being able to assist myself by assisting those close to me. In other words arm as many as I can until it hurts. That's why I agree to the 10-15k mark more than 1k.

33 mags, if you even have 33 mags, is only 33 mags. Divide those up, let's say 7 per person, 1 in rifle 6 spares, you are left with 4 people having a good enough load out to take on a decent gun battle. Unless your sitting behind a 1" plate of hardened steel with someone reloading your empties as you go. You SOL.

If your collective 1000 rounds is going to be joining a larger collective group of people you should be alright.

If it makes any of you feel better I'm not at my goal for 556 yet. I'm only up to about 7k.

Surplus 7.62x54. I'm in excess of my goal.

Edit: I don't have any military experience to clarify. Just spent a lot of time on army bases for work as well as having multiple friends back in Reno that did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Spent lots of time in the desert with some of them. I have learned a lot from them as far as battle procedurals and tactics. As well as questioned the crap out of them for ideas and opinions on survivalism.

If you have had any military experience you'll understand why 1000 is such a small number. Realistically speaking in a gun fight you can waste 600 rounds really quickly. That's only 20 magazines.

Real world situation your not going to have one lone dog survivalist attacking you. You'll more likely have a gang of multiple people attacking you. Your loot is their target.

I plan on being able to assist myself by assisting those close to me. In other words arm as many as I can until it hurts. That's why I agree to the 10-15k mark more than 1k.

33 mags, if you even have 33 mags, is only 33 mags. Divide those up, let's say 7 per person, 1 in rifle 6 spares, you are left with 4 people having a good enough load out to take on a decent gun battle. Unless your sitting behind a 1" plate of hardened steel with someone reloading your empties as you go. You SOL.

If your collective 1000 rounds is going to be joining a larger collective group of people you should be alright.

^this.

Any course most guys take now the general minimum is 1000-3000 rounds and thats usually for two days to a single day of training.

In a fire fight.. Itd be very easy to burn through 1k.
And large groups are ones biggest threat. The weak, vicious and unprepared with gather into groups and attempt to raid those that have prepared.. They may succeed.. But at GREAT loss.
Its your survival network that may keep you alive.. And a steady stream of loaded mags and ammo. :)

Just because you live in an urban area, doesn't mean you can't hunker down and wait things out. Of course, each person's situation is different. Of course, this isn't a bugging out vs staying put thread.

Haha, it's more of a storage space thing ;)

Haha, it's more of a storage space thing ;)

There's always room for things.

So your in an apartment. If your single and live alone? Do you use all the cabinet space in the kitchen? How about the bathroom? Under the bed? Ammo cans fit well under beds! I bet that your nightstand has room, if you don't have a nightstand, make one using stacked ammo cans!

Not much of that applies to me, but i don't have a nightstand...... ;)

Although, the wife might need some convincing about the new 'construction' :p

10 years ago I thought I had plenty, 3 boxes for the .06, couple for the pistol and over 1k for the .22s. Now it's never enough but my personal economy is sucking canal water right now. Hopefully it will turn around before the next big panic. Of course the media thinks we all have armories and just one little bullet is evil incarnate to them!

Brutus Out

First I'd like to say, thanks for your service.

Secondly, I don't know anybody who has 13,000 rd per rifle since everybody I know who owns rifles have at LEAST 3-5 and then some. Do the math.

The person to whom you were referring didn't say he had 13K PER rifle. Just 13K for the SHTF rifle.....and yeah, it's a lot more than I have.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top