JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Our 4Runner was parked and someone shot out the Cpillar window. It is totally crazed and shattered but together and the edges are crumbly and disintegrate if you pull at them with your fingers. I've seen .BB holes in plate glass and windshields where there is a small impact hole then a volcano exit hole. I don't see the impact point here since my girlfriend taped it up and no exit wound visible. Any idea on caliber like .22 or was this a hammer?

20230923_103706.jpg 20230923_103656.jpg

Our 4Runner was parked and someone shot out the Cpillar window. It is totally crazed and shattered but together and the edges are crumbly and disintegrate if you pull at them with your fingers. I've seen .BB holes in plate glass and windshields where there is a small impact hole then a volcano exit hole. I don't see the impact point here since my girlfriend taped it up and no exit wound visible. Any idea on caliber like .22 or was this a hammer?

View attachment 1583660 View attachment 1583665
You say it was shot out and then ask if it was shot out.

Does not look like the fractures i would expect for a Bb, pellet, 22 etc.

If you are really curious, you could start googling glass fracture patters. A few summers ago when we had the heat records, i had the outer pane of a window blow out. I suspected it was pressure from a temperature difference outside the window vs between the two panes. I found images of glass fracture patterns which matched my example, and turns out my suspicion was correct.

Automotive side and rear window glass is mostly tempered glass material. It won't crater from a BB hit like plate glass will. One hard enough hit and tempered glass just shatters completely. Which is what it's designed to do. It's hard for non forensic people to determine a bullet strike on tempered glass.

My vote is for the time tested blunt object.

In days gone by, automotive side and rear window glass was triplex laminated glass, such as windshields still are. Tempered glass replaced laminated glass in side windows because it shatters into small pieces and therefore was thought to be less dangerous to occupants in those applications. Laminated glass was retained in windshields because with its additional strength, it was thought to be the best glass for that application. When a windshield takes a hit, the inner laminate material tends to hold the glass in one piece. But not always; there was an incident around here lately where a truck tire came off, flew through a windshield and killed two people. Enough force will overcome any solid object.

Not too long ago, you could still factory special order laminated side glass in Ford Crown Victoria vehicles. For people who wanted the added strength of the inner laminate to prevent ne'er do wells from being able to get into the car easily once the window was broken. Like a car jacking situation.

View attachment 1583660 View attachment 1583665
Impossible to say cuz can't see anything but tape. The edges are irrelevant and can crumble with any impact to the glass.

Swell....
Now I gotta worry 'bout gangs of garden gnomes armed with rocks
Weapons are at hand everywhere. A person doesn't have to be equipped with a .44 Magnum to be dangerous.

There was a video on TV news the other night. It showed a reporter filming chronic homeless in downtown Seattle. One deadbeat was walking around with a hatchet; when he saw he was being filmed, he came after the camera guy. Now right there is a downright lethal weapon, that a person could carry around without needing any kind of permit or permission. Innocent enough for its original purpose, but very deadly as a weapon.

Weapons are at hand everywhere. A person doesn't have to be equipped with a .44 Magnum to be dangerous.

There was a video on TV news the other night. It showed a reporter filming chronic homeless in downtown Seattle. One deadbeat was walking around with a hatchet; when he saw he was being filmed, he came after the camera guy. Now right there is a downright lethal weapon, that a person could carry around without needing any kind of permit or permission. Innocent enough for its original purpose, but very deadly as a weapon.
Insert best Foghorn voice here :
200.gif
I say , I say , that was a joke son.
Andy

I say , I say , that was a joke son.
Andy
I know, just saying.

The same idea goes with the concept of being armed with firearms. A person doesn't necessarily need a .44. Often the .22 LR was a preferred gun of choice for organized criminals and gangs. Now I don't think that idea extends to BB's. (now there's another joke)

They do infact.....though the act is very seldom seen
Yikes...
Gangs of marauding garden gnomes , armed with guns , screwdrivers , rocks and maybe sparkplugs...
Stealthily moving through countryside , breaking into cars.

Gotta wonder why however...it ain't like they can reach the pedals and still see over the windshield.....
So it ain't for gnome theft auto...Err...grand theft auto...
Maybe...they are after the pine tree car air freshener...so they can spruce up their gnome...err...home.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads