JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi all, Salem/Keizer checking in. The rest of my post below copy/pasted from the other stickied thread, but I wanted to get a much feedback as possible. If there is anyone locally that would like to meet up and chat about prepping, let me know. I'll even buy the first round :)

In all honesty, I am pretty new to firearms. I have had a shotgun since I was 12, but no knowledge beyond how to use that one gun. In the last 2 - 3 months or so I have built my first AR-15, picked up a Sig P229 40 S&W, a Ruger 9mm (I want a higher end 9mm down the road), and a Ruger 10/22 SS barrel. From there I started to stock up on ammo. To date I have just shy of 1500 rounds of LCF M855 rounds and over 20 mags (most PMAGS and the rest BCM). I picked up 500 rounds of 40S&W, and now about 1500 rounds of 22 lr. Nothing for the 9mm yet as I just picked it up a few days ago.

During this accumulation of ammunition I stumbled across this huge culture of preppers that can best be described as hiding in plain sight. I picked up bits and pieces here and there and started to realize the necessity of prepping. Well I just spent way more than I wanted starting my firearm collection, but I felt all of it would be for nothing if I didn't have some other necessities.

Okay so that was a long lead in to me putting up a rough list of what I have accumulated for prepperations. This list is probably not going to be comprehensive as I am writing this from bed and I just don't feel like getting up and doing a full inventory. Again, I encourage any/everyone to poke holes in it (keep in mind I am currently an apartment prepper).

-3 months of food from Wise Foods (25 year shelf life)
-roughly another month of food tucked away in a rubbermaid bin consisting of many canned goods and long term goods (everything has an expiration well into 2013... except the candy bars :) everyone should do this, cost less than $100 per person to do this)
-4 cases of bottled water in the closet (now have the 7 gallon jug to add in addition to the water heater if things get really bad)
- Created a bug out bag containing many toiletries, 3 person tent, sleeping bag & pad (all of these are backpacking oriented so very light), flashlight headlamp with many extra batteries (I know I need a couple more flashlights), and I recently picked up a solar powered charger from Goal Zero. Seems pretty neat, but I haven't tried it out yet.
- ceramic hand pump water filter (MSR MiniWorks)

That's the majority of the top off my head. I did also pick up the 2-week survival pack from Wise Foods (I think it is discontinued now) to give to my out of state girlfriend. Once she finishes school we are going to move in together. I am planning on really increasing long term food with the goal of 1 year supply for 2-3 people.

This turned out to be a bit of a longer post than I had planned, but I wanted to get as much out there as possible to get some ideas of what to work on first as I kind of feel like a chicken with my head cut off running around wildly trying to do/buy everything at once.

Thanks in advance for any help/direction/advice.

i'm in kent by pacific raceways. i'm just starting to get into preparedness. i'm 24 so a lot of people my age don't even want to listen to me, not family nor friends. i have been reading a lot of articles on here and other websites about what can happen. i have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that shtf scenarios aren't too far off in the future. i would really love to meet up with anybody and talk, talk about preparedness all around, guns, go shooting, whatever it may be to better prepare myself for shtf situations. i would really love to stock up but money permits. but what i can do is build as much knowledge as possible. so this is where i'm asking for help from anybody willing to give it out. i would take any kind of training possible so don't hesitate to hit me up

Hey Uptown, not sure if you can make it up to bellingham during the week of the 17th, but a few others and myself will be there working and taking trips to the range on our days off. May be doing a few AR builds as well, depending on arrival of parts. If you'd like to come shooting with us, just let me know. I'm stationed in Astoria, which is a bit of a drive from you as well, but you're always welcome to come put some lead down range.

Hey Uptown, not sure if you can make it up to bellingham during the week of the 17th, but a few others and myself will be there working and taking trips to the range on our days off. May be doing a few AR builds as well, depending on arrival of parts. If you'd like to come shooting with us, just let me know. I'm stationed in Astoria, which is a bit of a drive from you as well, but you're always welcome to come put some lead down range.

Welcome to Bellingham! What brings you here?

Brought the 'ol girl to the yards to get a new coat of paint on the hull. Technically we're in Fairhaven, but its all the same to the clam.

Hey fellas......I just arranged to have available 52 acres of westside forest in SW Washington for our use....

If there is enough interest of course....

We could spend a day or so practicing some bush craft and such..

There is even a garden that folks could learn from..

A river runs through it..

Wheeler44

ps. Howdy Smurf Hunter..

pss. I suppose that folks could come incognito..for OPSEC and all...

Ask the guy that lived on Rub e Ridge how that "incognito" worked out for him

Yeah but you can shoot your mormon neighbor and his family and inherit his food supply!

This mindset, even if in jest is the reason I'd hesitate to ever agree to meet up with anyone on a prepper thread. It's almost as good as the POS that said he'd just kill his neighbor and take his gold over on the bartering currency thread.

West Yamhill county here.

Being in the city will be chaotic as people fight over the available resources.

Safety in numbers for sure, a plan and place to group up, and supplies collection can be very expensive when families are involved.

The most important thing obviously is a purified water supply and then enough people to protect your groups resources from being stolen.

Pending on how prolonged of a period we are talking about you will need a heating and cooking source also.

Maintaining a 24 hour watch will be tiring so having a few trusting dogs is not a bad idea.

Wow, the list goes on and on.

This mindset, even if in jest is the reason I'd hesitate to ever agree to meet up with anyone on a prepper thread. It's almost as good as the POS that said he'd just kill his neighbor and take his gold over on the bartering currency thread.

Yes, joking about shooting each other is really bad ju ju.
Our LDS brothers and sisters have alot to teach us.
BTW, having lived in the country for years, and now residing in PDX due to my wife's health issues, I don't discount bugging-in in a place like Portland. Many more cooperative minded folks here. I've met some people who are doing amazing prep work, but don't fit the 'prepper' description. They're still scared of guns, but have alot of other bases really covered.

i watched "doomsday preppers" on the national geographic channel the other day. all i can say is WOW! these guys really opened up my eyes as to what i need to do to be on that level. i think you guys should really check it out, it'd really open up your eyes and minds and you can see everything right then and there as to what it takes to be a major prepper

How's you know my neighbor was a Mormon?

And I will not kill people for food. I will kill people trying to take my food.

Lots of people say "I was just joking" to ease the tension and not be taken seriously when, in fact, they are being dead serious.

"I've noticed that when people are joking they're usually dead serious, and when they're serious, they're usually pretty funny."
― Jim Morrison

Lots of people say "I was just joking" to ease the tension and not be taken seriously when, in fact, they are being dead serious.

but then who are you to say they are joking or not, who are any of us to say, joking is joking. i joke about way too much stuff, not including killing, but some people find certain jokes about killing funny. just because you don't find them funny doesn't mean that they are serious about what they are saying. let's try and keep it positive so we can keep learning from one another here

Why don't all of these SHTF "Bad" guys just go and make their own forum? Then they can steal from each other and leave people like me in peace!

Like I said, I;m not afraid to defend my property and my family, but I will not pirate goods from other people.

If I am attacked by sworn enemy(s), and I manage to defeat them, I will take what they leave behind as "Spoils of War", that sorta thing.

Oh yeah, and Indiscriminate shooting of everyone and anyone that approaches only attracts attention to yourself and wastes precious ammunition.

That sort of mindset and action would only make you a villain, and survivors would actively look to defeat and/or destroy you.

We need to keep things light, and these "Bad Guys" need to go somewhere else, they can't be trusted.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top