JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, go ahead with what you know, tell me where I am wrong. Start with section C.
I think the answer is that the recreational exemption is going to be broad enough to include target shooting on public lands. I'm not convinced of this, especially since the text explicitly mentions gun clubs. I hope that Dozer is proven correct, but I think that's too early to tell. At a minimum, I don't want to be the test case that ends up debating the nuance of the law with a cop.

When I was a kid, I wondered why more people didn't smile. Now that I'm an adult, I understand why. Politics and life events happens. I am having a hard time digesting that the same people I would protect with an extra 5-7 rounds took that ability and my rights away.

(c) In addition to either (a) or (b) of this subsection the owner has not maintained the large-capacity magazine in a manner other than: (A) On property owned or immediately controlled by the registered owner; (B) On the premises of a gun dealer or gunsmith licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for the purpose of lawful service or repair; (C) While engaging in the legal use of the large-capacity magazine, at a public or private shooting range or shooting gallery or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law; or (D) While participating in firearms competition or exhibition, display or educational project about firearms sponsored, conducted by, approved or under the auspices of a law enforcement agency or a national or state-recognized entity that fosters proficiency in firearms use or promotes firearms education; and (E) While transporting any large-capacity magazines in a vehicle to one of the locations authorized in paragraphs (c)(A) to (D) of this subsection, the large-capacity magazine is not inserted into the firearm and is locked in a separate container.

Your original statement was "if you don't belong to a gun club"... I know you live in the city, but out here in the country we don't have many private shooting clubs, but we do have public ranges and open ranges.

Telling people that they have to go buy 10 round magazines or join a private range if they want to shoot was incorrect. Hence the reason I asked you to stop spewing nonsense!

(c) In addition to either (a) or (b) of this subsection the owner has not maintained the large-capacity magazine in a manner other than: (A) On property owned or immediately controlled by the registered owner; (B) On the premises of a gun dealer or gunsmith licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for the purpose of lawful service or repair; (C) While engaging in the legal use of the large-capacity magazine, at a public or private shooting range or shooting gallery or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law; or (D) While participating in firearms competition or exhibition, display or educational project about firearms sponsored, conducted by, approved or under the auspices of a law enforcement agency or a national or state-recognized entity that fosters proficiency in firearms use or promotes firearms education; and (E) While transporting any large-capacity magazines in a vehicle to one of the locations authorized in paragraphs (c)(A) to (D) of this subsection, the large-capacity magazine is not inserted into the firearm and is locked in a separate container.

Your original statement was "if you don't belong to a gun club"... I know you live in the city, but out here in the country we don't have many private shooting clubs, but we do have public ranges and open ranges.

Telling people that they have to go buy 10 round magazines or join a private range if they want to shoot was incorrect. Hence the reason I asked you to stop spewing nonsense!
I hope you're right but it's far from clear that target shooting on public lands is going to count as either a public shooting range or a recreational activity. Especially since we know that the people in charge of defining it further are not likely to be generous with their definitions.

I hope this is right, but I'd like to see a decent cite on this other than the stupid text in this new law about 'recreational'. It's going to be a gray area.
The "stupid text" is going to be the law. They listed hunting as one example of recereational use. They did not say only for hunting. I am trying to get oregon live to correct there article to reflect what the actual Measure text says.

Last Edited:
The "stupid text" is going to be the law. They listed hunting as one example of recereational use. They did not say only for hunting. I am trying to get the Maxine to correct her article to reflect what the actual Measure text says.
Stupid text will make stupid law I agree, but I think you're being overly confident that they're going to allow an example that wasn't included in the measure, at least not explicitly. I hope you're right, but I'm still proceeding with caution on this one.

I hope you're right but it's far from clear that target shooting on public lands is going to count as eitIher a public shooting range or a recreational activity. Especially since we know that the people in charge of defining it further are not likely to be generous with their definitions.
I get where your going with this, but in legal terms, all one would have to do is define in "common use" terms, what is/are recreational activities regarding shooting.

In other words, if target shooting is a common practice of shooters, then the state would have to prove that it is not a recreational activity.

However, we are still arguing over the words "right to keep and bear arms" after 246 years, so I get your point.

I tend to post what I am positive is written in the law a way to avoid dealing with the law. Just buying ten round magazines and joining a gun club takes all the risk out of shooting our guns. If people get misled the consequences are...

Crime ClassMaximum SentenceFine
Class "A" Misdemeanor6 months to 1 year$6,250
Aug 12 2022
In a political inviroment where leftist will sick the police on you its best in my opinion to avoid those possibilities. However the world is full of choices and the freedom to choose. Good luck.

Yes:

(C) While engaging in the legal use of the large-capacity magazine, at a public or private shooting range or shooting gallery
or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law; or
I can see guys using high caps hunting what is legal to hunt with them, sage rats etc would probably be on the good list.

I get where your going with this, but in legal terms, all one would have to do is define in "common use" terms, what is/are recreational activities regarding shooting.

In other words, if target shooting is a common practice of shooters, then the state would have to prove that it is not a recreational activity.

However, we are still arguing over the words "right to keep and bear arms" after 246 years, so I get your point.
Unfortunately the argument will be made in court with a Class A Misdemeanor on the docket. Without clear definition it will be up to the liberal government that created the law whether to prosecute or not. Knowing the government was willing to force untested jabs on everyone I would say it's risky business to put myself in a position that they have power over me.

Stupid text will make stupid law I agree, but I think you're being overly confident that they're going to allow an example that wasn't included in the measure, at least not explicitly. I hope you're right, but I'm still proceeding with caution on this one.
+1 I will let some others sort all this out before I go out shooting with anything over a "under standard capacity magazine".

Let me spew my bs just a bit more then I will move on. Under 114 we have one or more antifa rioters carrying guns with magazines that fit as a demeanor, will they be arrested and prosecuted under a Portland DA?

A good citizen, middle class conservative accidently leaves a loaded magazine where it's seen by a cop who pulls him over for expired tags. Magazine is illegal under 114 so does the Portland DA prosecute him?

Good luck gents, I am done here and time for breakfast.

My fault for arguing with someone who is A. an internet lawyer and B. someone who will bend the knee to the political establishment!

I'm going out in the back yard and shoot (500 yard range).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top