JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We chose an area in the northwest portion of Arizona and the effects of the border crossings seem to be extremely diluted if not non-existent. Maybe they're all ending up in DC, NY, and Martha's Vineyard?!? Clearly, no state is going to be perfect, hopefully this one is just a little bit better for me. And looking at the results of the elections nationally, holy crap, it may be much less than 20 to 30 years before I have to worry about it in AZ - before we all have to worry about it. At least I wont be a felon when (if?) 114 takes effect. Who knows, maybe I'm all wrong and I'll regret the move. At least my taxes will be less for a little while.
Passed up Montana on Wyoming?
If you're retired you can basically live anywhere. We are thinking of Florida because I still need to work. I'm an electrician and work in Mt and WY is very sporadic and travel is required. If I was retired and work was not an issue I'd be in the northern states or south Dakota or north carolina.

Always thought about Idaho, red state for sure.
Idaho demographics are swiftly changing that's why I don't live there. I had plans of moving to Idaho but working eastern washington (Spokane) out of that union hall and just commuting in. Keeping my same 57 dollars an hour but living in a free state. However I passed on it because of the changes I'm seeing in their demographics. LOTS of Californians moving there with the big tech boom there and voting accordingly

If you're retired you can basically live anywhere. We are thinking of Florida because I still need to work. I'm an electrician and work in Mt and WY is very sporadic and travel is required. If I was retired and work was not an issue I'd be in the northern states or south Dakota or north carolina.
Probably plenty of work in Florida for electricians, with all the rebuilding after every hurricane. It's probably OK if you don't mind evacuating every other year. ;) Not to mention the climate is miserable 9 months out of the year.

Probably plenty of work in Florida for electricians, with all the rebuilding after every hurricane. It's probably OK if you don't mind evacuating every other year. ;) Not to mention the climate is miserable 9 months out of the year.
Yeah I know but I've lived in Arizona too. I've seen 125 degree days with zero humidity and I've also seen 90 degree days with monsoons at 95% humidity. I'd say Arizona is just about as miserable as Florida but just for different reasons. I'd still live in AZ tho just a little too close to NV/CO/CA for me

Always thought about Idaho, red state for sure.
For now. It's slowly turning though. Everyone wants to run….. This sh!t doesn't stop at state lines. It bleeds over. Someone has to stay and fight or we will loose the entire country. It's not in my DNA to run from conflict. I'm staying in Oregon no matter how much the politics frustrate me.

For now. It's slowly turning though. Everyone wants to run….. This sh!t doesn't stop at state lines. It bleeds over. Someone has to stay and fight or we will loose the entire country. It's not in my DNA to run from conflict. I'm staying in Oregon no matter how much the politics frustrate me.
I totally respect that mindset of sticking to your guns *no pun intended* but oregon is too far gone. Not to say there's a 0 percent chance that it can be changed but that percentage is still weighing realllll close to zero. I'd say between 0 and 10. People in Oregon and Washington *and even California* have been fighting the good fight for decades. Sometimes you gotta realize when it's time to abandon ship. We are looking at states that are progressively getting more red. Idaho is not one of them. Idaho is washington and oregon 15 years ago and California 20 years ago. It's turning blue. We are looking at the dakotas and the Carolinas where it continues to hold a red stronghold and isn't changing.

I totally respect that mindset of sticking to your guns *no pun intended* but oregon is too far gone. Not to say there's a 0 percent chance that it can be changed but that percentage is still weighing realllll close to zero. I'd say between 0 and 10. People in Oregon and Washington *and even California* have been fighting the good fight for decades. Sometimes you gotta realize when it's time to abandon ship. We are looking at states that are progressively getting more red. Idaho is not one of them. Idaho is washington and oregon 15 years ago and California 20 years ago. It's turning blue. We are looking at the dakotas and the Carolinas where it continues to hold a red stronghold and isn't changing.
I respect that. I have too much invested here to just walk away.

Good luck to you and yours and I hope it works out. Building roots in Oregon I just can't see starting all over this late in life. I watched all my life as Oregon turned to crap and nothing I could do about it. Looked hard at Idaho a few times but it was filling up with the same problem people we have here. Hopefully a bunch of those kali folks move out of Oregon now.

Good luck to you and yours and I hope it works out. Building roots in Oregon I just can't see starting all over this late in life. I watched all my life as Oregon turned to crap and nothing I could do about it. Looked hard at Idaho a few times but it was filling up with the same problem people we have here. Hopefully a bunch of those kali folks move out of Oregon now.
Unfortunately they won't move out. They are living the high life now. A lot of them work remote or work high paying jobs. They can afford the stuff we can't but also enjoy the no tax in Oregon or the no income tax in washington. They're winning. We have neighbors next door from California They are renting the house next door and they're like "omg it's amazing up here we paid 4500 a month for rent in the bay area and now we pay only 2600 but we make the same money!" And I'm like wow you're willingly paying double my mortgage and you don't even own the house.

That's the issue. It's really good for them up here. They vote for what they fled and they don't even know it. I made sure to tell them that if they like it here so much they should vote accordingly because if they don't it'll turn to California. Will they listen? Prob not

I respect that. I have too much invested here to just walk away.
I get where you're coming from but I do have to ask. What are you willing to fight for? Are you willing to become a felon overnight or give up your rights? What are you so invested in that you can't leave. Most people financially speaking would dump their investment as soon as they could if it turned out the way Oregon and Washington are turning out

Unfortunately they won't move out. They are living the high life now. A lot of them work remote or work high paying jobs. They can afford the stuff we can't but also enjoy the no tax in Oregon or the no income tax in washington. They're winning. We have neighbors next door from California They are renting the house next door and they're like "omg it's amazing up here we paid 4500 a month for rent in the bay area and now we pay only 2600 but we make the same money!" And I'm like wow you're willingly paying double my mortgage and you don't even own the house.

That's the issue. It's really good for them up here. They vote for what they fled and they don't even know it. I made sure to tell them that if they like it here so much they should vote accordingly because if they don't it'll turn to California. Will they listen? Prob not
No doubt Oregon is better than kali and if I was young I would run from kali too. However the west side is getting way too crowded and the population density is causing rents to sky rocket. I keep reading about layoffs hitting hard and Oregon is first to layoff and last to hire back when it comes to jobs.

Those folks really don't want to live unemployed in Oregon.

I don't know about you but I'm going to celebrate the passing of 114 by buying a shotgun I've had my eye on. Then I might buy a gun without going thru an FFL!

No doubt Oregon is better than kali and if I was young I would run from kali too. However the west side is getting way too crowded and the population density is causing rents to sky rocket. I keep reading about layoffs hitting hard and Oregon is first to layoff and last to hire back when it comes to jobs.

Those folks really don't want to live unemployed in Oregon.
You make a very good point but let's remember who gets laid off and who stays employed. Tech workers, office ppl, sales ppl, and the like.. all stay employed. Who gets laid off? Skilled workers. Look how many tech ppl moved to the Pnw from California during covid. They're not scared. Their jobs are secured. Sales and tech didn't suffer during covid scamdemic. Skilled workers did. All the guys that got laid off during the "pandemic" sat at home looking for work cause we can't work from home. The people behind the computers didn't suffer at all

I get where you're coming from but I do have to ask. What are you willing to fight for? Are you willing to become a felon overnight or give up your rights? What are you so invested in that you can't leave. Most people financially speaking would dump their investment as soon as they could if it turned out the way Oregon and Washington are turning out
Yup. And it's not a felony. Yet… my family is here.

The wife and I spent three months traveling through Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana. I'm sure there are many exceptions to what we experienced, but we ultimately ended up buying in Kingman, AZ during a 3 month stay there after our initial travels (total of 6 months on the road. As others have mentioned, Idaho has changed as the wave of people from Oregon and California have moved there, changing the prices and politics, although we found Grangeville Idaho a close second to Kingman (totally opposite climates). We currently live on a good size piece of property and hoped to do the same where ever we land, and a lot of what we found in Montana had been chopped up in smaller two acre +/- pieces to sell off to the crowds moving there. And tons of "trendy" places are being built - many towns that used to be small and quaint, such as Ennis or Kalispel are becoming the getaway locations for folks with money. Nevada wasn't bad and would probably work, but we didn't come across that area that checked all of the boxes we were hoping for. Utah was a bit pricey for the areas that we liked. Although we didn't cover the entire state, Wyoming was either super trendy (ie: Jackson Hole) and spendy, or the wind blew extremely hard all of the time.

Kingman proper is not our goal so we plan to fix that once we're settled in to the area. But, Kingman will provide the needed stuff with the usual Wally World, Home Depot, and a decent hospital with a trauma center. Property taxes for the house we bought in Kingman is $680 for the year, compared to a similar (actually smaller and older) house we owned as a rental around here at $8k. Very conservative and constitutional carry (and many do). And if you license it, you can legally drive your side-by-side on any roadway except the interstate. One downside that jobs don't pay as well as they do here, but as Gunbuggy points out, if you're retired you can live anywhere! We considered going further east such as Texas but we plan to frequent Oregon to see friends and family and Arizona seemed far enough to travel often. Hopefully it works out but we shall see!

Idaho demographics are swiftly changing that's why I don't live there. I had plans of moving to Idaho
Hey, don't give up on Famous Potatoes too quickly. The anti-government extremist (some would say terrorist) Ammon Bundy just took 3rd place in the election for governor with more than 100,000 ballots cast.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top