JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Me

Me too, I intend to buy two when we move. This house is armored to be at least as good as a cheapy safe.

Hello,

I got a STACK-ON gun cabinet after I moved to 'town' down from a small log cabin in the mountains. (Montana.)

You could try 1 or 2 STACK-ON gun cabinets that come with 2 sets of keys per gun cabinet until you get a heavy safe if you still want a heavy safe. I bought one out here before I built this house. I did not want anything heavy to move from the brand new built apartment to this newly built house. I specifically chose the top floor - third floor of the newly built apartment complex too. (This house is all on one level.)

I like the idea of being able to move it from a den or gun room to a bedroom with a professional moving cart with wheels. (We own 2 of these carts and bought them at Home Depot.) My husband and I can do this alone or with each other's help.

Back east, in my former big brick house, I only owned 3 rifles and the rest of my firearms were all handguns. I had my late husband pick up a specific SEARS brand (The top style not the cheapest one. The drawer rollers were different.) tool chest with 2 sets of keys. I put my handguns in that chest when I left the house.

I did not lock up the 2 lever action rifles and the one CT made Papoose. They did have gun locks on them - they came with them (NIB from the factory.) but I do not consider them that great. All of my NIB firearms came with gun locks.

I did USE those handgun and rifle gun locks when I moved over 2,000 miles one way and carried ALL but a couple of guns with me INSIDE of my vehicle. (I sold and gifted a couple of guns back east.)

We own 2 Stack-On gun cabinets now but one is almost empty since we did a BIG firearm downsizing and MAJOR caliber consolidation of his and her GUNS over the years due to my physical issues and before his retirement. We are very happy with our choice even if we did NOT choose to buy a HEAVY safe due to the weight. We use a Sears locked tool chest for a couple of handguns that my husband still owns and for MOST of his knives. The knives were downsized, a few sold and many were gifted. We still may make one move before we get much older too. We want something easy to move ON PURPOSE. We tend to be more minimalistic especially me as time goes on. ADDED more.

You could still get a heavy safe and use those Stack-On cabinets for other things down the road too.

Where are you moving to? Another state or in the same state? Apologies to you if I missed this or forgot what you may have already mentioned.

Best wishes to you!

Cate

Last Edited:
Hello,

I got a STACK-ON gun cabinet after I moved to 'town' down from a small log cabin in the mountains. (Montana.)

You could try 1 or 2 STACK-ON gun cabinets that come with 2 sets of keys per gun cabinet until you get a heavy safe if you still want a heavy safe. I bought one out here before I built this house. I did not want anything heavy to move from the brand new built apartment to this newly built house. I specifically chose the top floor - third floor of the newly built apartment complex too. (This house is all on one level.)

I like the idea of being able to move it from a den or gun room to a bedroom with a professional moving cart with wheels. (We own 2 of these carts and bought them at Home Depot.) My husband and I can do this alone or with each other's help.

Back east, in my former big brick house, I only owned 3 rifles and the rest of my firearms were all handguns. I had my late husband pick up a specific SEARS brand (The top style not the cheapest one. The drawer rollers were different.) tool chest with 2 sets of keys. I put my handguns in that chest when I left the house.

I did not lock up the 2 lever action rifles and the one CT made Papoose. They did have gun locks on them - they came with them (NIB from the factory.) but I do not consider them that great. All of my NIB firearms came with gun locks.

I did USE those handgun and rifle gun locks when I moved over 2,000 miles one way and carried ALL but a couple of guns with me INSIDE of my vehicle. (I sold and gifted a couple of guns back east.)

We own 2 Stack-On gun cabinets now but one is almost empty since we did a BIG firearm downsizing and MAJOR caliber consolidation of his and her GUNS over the years due to my physical issues and before his retirement. We are very happy with our choice even if we did NOT choose to buy a HEAVY safe due to the weight. We use a Sears locked tool chest for a couple of handguns that my husband still owns and for MOST of his knives. The knives were downsized, a few sold and many were gifted. We still may make one move before we get much older too. We want something easy to move ON PURPOSE. We tend to be more minimalistic especially me as time goes on. ADDED more.

You could still get a heavy safe and use those Stack-On cabinets for other things down the road too.

Where are you moving to? Another state or in the same state? Apologies to you if I missed this or forgot what you may have already mentioned.

Best wishes to you!

Cate
I think we are moving to Idaho or possibly Wyoming. Nevada was in the mix, but too hot in summer.. I don't really know. I lived in Idaho for a dozen years and a couple in Wyoming and a couple in Montana. My wife wants to move, but wants all the Medical folk and assets too. Give it another decade and we might still be here. Some weeks it is a front burner issue, others a back burner..

I think we are moving to Idaho or possibly Wyoming. Nevada was in the mix, but too hot in summer.. I don't really know. I lived in Idaho for a dozen years and a couple in Wyoming and a couple in Montana. My wife wants to move, but wants all the Medical folk and assets too. Give it another decade and we might still be here. Some weeks it is a front burner issue, others a back burner..

How close does medical need to be? Reason I ask is that I sure wouldn't want to live in or near Boise. Pretty sure that wouldn't be an improvement for you.

Just curious... what assets? You mean shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc?

The reason there aren't much detail is because it won't ever be mentioned after this morning's news.

It was a GOOD GUY protecting himself and his family. A good guy with a gun. No huge news that will ever be more than a blurp in the morning news.

If it were a BAD GUY shooting someone, it would be plastered all over the news for 2 days, about how bad guns are being used to commit violence and crime. And slanted towards guns being evil.

I'm glad the homeowner and family are safe.

One less person roaming the streets, being a street urchin.
There are Four types of homicide, Felonious , Accidental , Justifiable , and praiseworthy !

How close does medical need to be? Reason I ask is that I sure wouldn't want to live in or near Boise. Pretty sure that wouldn't be an improvement for you.

Just curious... what assets? You mean shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc?
Well she used to want a oriental food store, but Amazon, Walmart and Han Market all have that covered online anymore, so less a issue.

We spent a few days looking in Boise, Meriden, Caldwell area and it is sprawling. There are medical centers there that seem to offer all we have here in. It has less restrictive travel right now ….

I grew up in mostly in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho and Cody, the nearest big town in Wyoming, most of Dad' family are gone, but near Billing's and the Black Hills of South Dakota for Mom's longer lived Family.. My Sis is in Spokane, a Criminal Cousin and her three time loser son in Butte. My two sons are in Denver or Dallas places that are unappealing to me..

So South Idaho seems like Payette or Twin Falls, North Idaho maybe Post Falls, Sandpoint. Montana, maybe Bozeman. Wyoming, Cody or Casper.

For me Cody or Post Falls, the wife like Meridian or Twin Falls

I want a Bucking horse on my license Plate, but I can sing the Idaho State Song, a real conundrum.

In your reference, it first says it's a break in with the intent to commit a violent crime. Then below that it says that there is no legally defined crime of "home invasion" in most states. IMO those are both probably true. However, I decided long ago that if somebody breaks into my "castle" while my wife and I are there, they must be willing to do us bodily harm. As Manny said, they are there at their own peril.

The trend of smashing in the door and having 3 or more attackers is what is mostly called a "home invasion robbery". So perhaps I would agree that a single invader is a broadening of the more common usage of the phrase. :)

Yup!!! Legal terms are beside the point. Even DB is Here said he felt invaded. Truth of what happens.
Hummmm.. Someone breaks into..Oh excuse me .."invades your home'. First ask them if they are there to do bodily harm.
**Just a little sarcasm**

Well she used to want a oriental food store, but Amazon, Walmart and Han Market all have that covered online anymore, so less a issue.

We spent a few days looking in Boise, Meriden, Caldwell area and it is sprawling. There are medical centers there that seem to offer all we have here in. It has less restrictive travel right now ….

I grew up in mostly in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho and Cody, the nearest big town in Wyoming, most of Dad' family are gone, but near Billing's and the Black Hills of South Dakota for Mom's longer lived Family.. My Sis is in Spokane, a Criminal Cousin and her three time loser son in Butte. My two sons are in Denver or Dallas places that are unappealing to me..

So South Idaho seems like Payette or Twin Falls, North Idaho maybe Post Falls, Sandpoint. Montana, maybe Bozeman. Wyoming, Cody or Casper.

For me Cody or Post Falls, the wife like Meridian or Twin Falls

I want a Bucking horse on my license Plate, but I can sing the Idaho State Song, a real conundrum.

Oriental food store to own??? Or to shop? There used to be one in Walla Walla, but not anymore. I really enjoyed buying flying fish roe there... love that stuff!!!

I like Twin, detest Meridian and all the Boise area traffic. So much not worth any amenities. When I left San Diego I said no more traffic for me ever again.

From what I read here Spokane is not as nice as it used to be. And Coeur is full of transplants.

My wife too. I hate all news shows. But she wants to "keep up". So much of it is BS agenda driven propaganda that I think we're better off not knowing what they are saying.
[/QUOTE]
I think you're both right. If one fills their head with news crap, that's all the mind has to work with. Local news instills fear and division, national news is propaganda. Better not to fill our heads with this bull. Good people can't 'do good' if they're fearful and confused.
However, your wife is so right to want information. Seeing all the immorality and evil-driven wars and agendas, good people feel compelled to 'do something', I think. Educating ourselves is necessary to know how to act right and not be used.

Former CIA Director, William Casey "We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false."

I think around 90% of ALL media and forums in America are 'controlled' and loyal to an agenda, with gatekeepers and newspeak enforced.

I suggest reading news from all over the world. Like traveling, it opens the mind.
There are independent analysts who offer their opinions. (Independent of agendas or party affiliation).
Paul Craig Roberts
Stephen lendman
William Engdahl
The Saker

southfront.org (daily review of wars and news).
journal-neo.org (articles on major events)

Here are Iranian, Russian and Chinese websites. They're people like us but somewhere else. These sites will put forth some state propaganda of course, but offer great insights you won't find coming out of Reuters.
Iran is Presstv.com
Syria
Russia is rt.com
chinadaily.com

When my son was young, my one gun at the time was locked up.
Why? Because when I was young, my brothers and I knew where my Dad hid his gun and when he was not home, we would get it out and play with it. We were lucky we did not shoot ourselves.
However, there are no children in my home now. I also have a security system to help prevent burglary.
To create a law that requires me to render my firearm unusable in my my own home and makes me liable for the criminal acts of a thief who steals it is ludicrous. :mad:
When l was young we had guns hanging on gun racks. We were taught at a very young age Right, Wrong, & Respect. Never had a problem even with friends & relatives visiting. Not lucky, just taught.

Had this happen to me in 2010, thankfully it ended w/o a shot being fired. He was caught 4 months later and he was armed.

It took me several months to feel comfortable in my home after that, just felt violated.
Ditto this COMPLETELY after my own experience in 2018 and fortunately 'my' guy was caught hiding in a ditch on the neighbors property.

If it were to happen again I'll be telling a very 'different' story.....

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews