JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon is very likely to pass the safe storage law this year. In a home invasion, the homeowner and their family will be dead before they can get the lock off the gun.

AFAIK, it's a "burglary" if nobody is home when it happens. If I or my family is home, and especially if they break and enter or kick in a door, it's a "home invasion"!

I don't know Wa. law, but in Oregon there is no "home invasion" law its just called burglary whither one is home or not burglary is defined as the act of unlawfully entering with the intent to commit a crime.

the question is, how does one know their intruders intent or did they just make a drunken mistake for their own home (ie: trespassing)?

I don't know Wa. law, but in Oregon there is no "home invasion" law its just called burglary whither one is home or not burglary is defined as the act of unlawfully entering with the intent to commit a crime.

the question is, how does one know their intruders intent or did they just make a drunken mistake for their own home (ie: trespassing)?

Sigh, for the purposes of news reporting, which is how this thread started, I'd like to know if the intruder broke down the door and charged in while armed and started assaulting the occupants.... that's a "home invasion" for the purposes of general discussion. I have tried to make it clear that I don't care what the legal term is!! :(

Sigh, for the purposes of news reporting, which is how this thread started, I'd like to know if the intruder broke down the door and charged in while armed and started assaulting the occupants.... that's a "home invasion" for the purposes of general discussion. I have tried to make it clear that I don't care what the legal term is!! :(

My bad, I should have picked someone else's comment about the legal term. I was just trying to add to the discussion.

My bad, I should have picked someone else's comment about the legal term. I was just trying to add to the discussion.

Oh, I'm just tired, having come back from a long meeting of the IDPA committee. There were several other comments about the legal terms when the comment that I made, the one you quoted, was intended to be more oriented to the layman's/homeowners practical viewpoint, as well as the reporter's saying it was a "home invasion". Just wasn't personally wanting to go in the legal direction but more of the practical but I got drawn in by another's comment. Sorry to be on edge. - bb

Oh, I'm just tired, having come back from a long meeting of the IDPA committee. There were several other comments about the legal terms when the comment that I made, the one you quoted, was intended to be more oriented to the layman's/homeowners practical viewpoint, as well as the reporter's saying it was a "home invasion". Just wasn't personally wanting to go in the legal direction but more of the practical but I got drawn in by another's comment. Sorry to be on edge. - bb

No worries. Anytime I look up legal laws it becomes a huge rabbit hole. From a practical viewpoint I agree.... if someones in your house its a threat, regardless of what we call it.

Oregon is very likely to pass the safe storage law this year. In a home invasion, the homeowner and their family will be dead before they can get the lock off the gun.
Well it's for the children.
what do we expect? Even on this forum people seem to think locking up guns is the responsible thing to do as opposed to raising responsible/respectful kids.
I'm surprised no one has asked the homeowner how he could responsibly store his weapon and get to it fast enough to use it. After all, if you had time to access a properly secured firearm you must not have been in immediate danger.

Even on this forum people seem to think locking up guns is the responsible thing to do as opposed to raising responsible/respectful kids.
I have not heard of anyone who thinks locking up guns is the responsible thing to do that doesn't agree to raising responsible/respectful kids. But we have heard of many people who 'thinks' they have raised responsible/respectful kids that in reality wasn't the case. The latter is the issue AND the reason why safe storage laws are being pushed on gun owners. I don't support safe storage laws but I do support suggesting people lock up their guns.

Well it's for the children.
what do we expect? Even on this forum people seem to think locking up guns is the responsible thing to do as opposed to raising responsible/respectful kids.
I'm surprised no one has asked the homeowner how he could responsibly store his weapon and get to it fast enough to use it. After all, if you had time to access a properly secured firearm you must not have been in immediate danger.

Mmmmmm, I'm very much against one-size-fits-all safe storage laws.

#1. I thought we decided that lawmakers should stay out of people's bedrooms.
#2. I have no kids in my home, nor grandkids etc that visit. Therefore I would bear an uneven burden of restriction of my rights.
#3. As for risk of theft contributing to illegal gun traffic, my guns are always locked up... in my house.
#4. I would have to either lock up my handguns, or have one on me... again, a disproportionate burden since I have no intention of wearing one on my PJs while watching TV.
#5. A handgun finger activated lockbox is IMO not fast enough. Nobody has the right to force me into that mode of self defense. And the proposed law will require cable locks... imagine trying to get one of those off while wresting with a home invader!!!

I have not heard of anyone who thinks locking up guns is the responsible thing to do that doesn't agree to raising responsible/respectful kids. But we have heard of many people who 'thinks' they have raised responsible/respectful kids that in reality wasn't the case. The latter is the issue AND the reason why safe storage laws are being pushed on gun owners. I don't support safe storage laws but I do support suggesting people lock up their guns.
Good to see you don't have such a strident view as you had a while back on the issue.

Mmmmmm, I'm very much against one-size-fits-all safe storage laws.

#1. I thought we decided that lawmakers should stay out of people's bedrooms.
#2. I have no kids in my home, nor grandkids etc that visit. Therefore I would bear an uneven burden of restriction of my rights.
#3. As for risk of theft contributing to illegal gun traffic, my guns are always locked up... in my house.
#4. I would have to either lock up my handguns, or have one on me... again, a disproportionate burden since I have no intention of wearing one on my PJs while watching TV.
#5. A handgun finger activated lockbox is IMO not fast enough. Nobody has the right to force me into that mode of self defense. And the proposed law will require cable locks... imagine trying to get one of those off while wresting with a home invader!!!
I think you missed the point. I was being flippant as well as sarcastic.

I always lock up when Im not at home, or the rare occasion of kids in the house.
Making common sense a law and of coarse taking it to the level of ignorance is the fad of the left & it stimulizes their cheerleaders . What next seat belts on the short bus. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top