JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many here use a BAD or other ABC...bolt release?

Do you like or dislike them, pros cons? I understand that the Magpul BAD Lever is a little wiggly or floppy and it bothers some people? Also, the Phase 5 version is stouter, but jeeze, I may as well just hire an aide to release the bolt!
I don't see a huge need for me to add them to my AR's, 'course, I'm a minimalist to the nth degree.
If I've slammed a mag in, my hand is right there, thumb pointing at the release! Soooo???? :)

How many here use a BAD or other ABC...bolt release?

Do you like or dislike them, pros cons? I understand that the Magpul BAD Lever is a little wiggly or floppy and it bothers some people? Also, the Phase 5 version is stouter, but jeeze, I may as well just hire an aide to release the bolt!
I don't see a huge need for me to add them to my AR's, 'course, I'm a minimalist to the nth degree.
If I've slammed a mag in, my hand is right there, thumb pointing at the release! Soooo???? :)

KISS.... Keep It Simple Stupid.

If you're a righty, it's all ready tidy.

the magpul one IMO is disappointing. super sloppy fit that i had to modify it to work right. i like my Troy lever as it has a set screw to tighten up the fit for less slop. also i REALLY like my phase 5. the phase 5 is all 1 piece and takes place of the bolt release instead of clamp on it. for $50 its the best one out there IMO.

i like them because IMO its easier to close the bolt for me and also i like being able to lock the bolt back without taking my trigger hand off the grip.

Strange hearing about all the wiggle ones - I have three and they are all rock solid. No issues and plenty of clearance in the trigger guard. I do use blue Loktite on the screws.

I had to look up WTF a BAD lever was.
Nope. Plain and simple for me. All this tactical garbage to add to a gun. There's a lot of neat ooh-ah stuff that I've seen but it would be a waste on me. Kind of like gold trim on your Toyota Camry.
Two things I've seen that I really like: QD rings, and a ball-bearing detent ambi charging handle.
Stuff that I think really matters on an AR: great sights/great glass, reliable mags, good trigger and a well oiled bolt.

I had one on my rifle then took it off.. It seemed to cluster the area and truly didnt speed things up..
I then lost it for 2 or so years and found it in my parts box..

Long story short, Where it truly shines (for me) is on the AR pistol. I find it helpful both locking the bolt back and releasing it when not being able to cradle the buffer tube/check rest in my arm like I normally would a buttstock on a standard rifle..

Seems way more efficient on my pistol than on my rifle.
Its a little wobbly but does exactly what its supposed to do.

I've only owned one AR. Bought it from a left handed guy and it had the BAD lever on it. It may be because I don't know any better, but I like it. There seems to be nothing to complain about with the way it fits. It's not sloppy at all and functions perfectly.
I suppose it would seem strange to me to shoot an AR without one.

I've got one on two AR's here. I like it, but I've never run them hard. I only shot one match with the AR and I've never done a carbine training class. So my only use is that it helps me lock back the bolt and is easier to charge with the bolt locked back.

Those good things said, I had a bolt lock paddle shear off with a BAD Lever on it. I had to replace the part. I've never had that part break so I'm assuming the BAD lever was causing forces in some odd direction that the part wasn't quite designed for.

That bad thing said, I installed the BAD lever right back onto the new paddle. Even if that part broke off in a gunfight (and the BAD lever clinked onto the ground), it wouldn't affect the rifle's function, really.

I got a good deal on one so I put it on my carbine just for fun... till one day shooting off the bench at the range with my long range AR... I kept wishing I had one on it too because after every time I had to clear for cold range, then got settled back in behind the scope..Id forget and would have to back off again to and smack the release... With the BAD lever, my finger is already headed that way when going for the trigger, so no wasted effort. It stays on my SPR now... I like having an Ambi safety for the same reason. I agree to keep it simple on the GTW guns, just as many drive a basic gas sipper to work to save money, and wear and tear... but keep that Caddie in the garage with all the options for when size and weight are not an issue.
Some manufacturers Like POF actually integrate fully ambi into their ARs. It's great to be able to operate everything with one finger without coming off your sights.

I've only owned one AR. Bought it from a left handed guy and it had the BAD lever on it. It may be because I don't know any better, but I like it. There seems to be nothing to complain about with the way it fits. It's not sloppy at all and functions perfectly.
I suppose it would seem strange to me to shoot an AR without one.
Thats concerning. I like the function but I'm going to take mine off and inspect it for defects and if I run it I will purchase a backup just in case. It is a little sloppy when not engaged but I'm not touching it then either so it's not a big deal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top