JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The BAD lever is a crutch that will be a handicap for you when you pick up an AR that doesn't have it. BAD is a fitting name for it. The only bolt release mod I'd do is a larger one but not a completely different system. Muscle memory will be impeded by using a BAD lever. If you have big puffy winter gloves on or bump fire the BAD lever will get in the way.

The BAD lever is a crutch that will be a handicap for you when you pick up an AR that doesn't have it. BAD is a fitting name for it. The only bolt release mod I'd do is a larger one but not a completely different system. Muscle memory will be impeded by using a BAD lever.
That's only true if you don't train with multiple different weapon types. My Tavor doesn't have one and I shoot that just fine. It's also not a complete different system. You still have all the original functionality while being enhanced.

When you pick up a Tavor there's no way you could confuse it for an AR. Not so with an AR that doesn't have the bad lever. If you pick up a traditional AR in the heat of battle you'll be fumbling around reaching for a lever that isn't there. Removing your trigger finger from the trigger isn't the best tactic.

Sure but you can clearly see that the Tavor isn't an AR. Pick up an AR in the heat of battle and you'll be fumbling around reaching for a BAD lever that isn't there. Removing your trigger finger from the trigger isn't the best tactic.
My main AR that I train with doesn't have one but when I use my competition rifle I'm faster because of all the cool bells and whistles. Can you please post a video of you locking back the bolt on an AR-15 without removing your hand off the pistol grip, and trigger? This I would like to see.

I don't "bump fire" nor do I wear big puffy winter gloves, but if I did, I'd learn how to operate the system.

I also have ARs without a BAD lever and haven't had an issue manipulating them.

If it doesn't work for you, fine. They seem to work pretty damned well for those who choose to use and train with them.
The BAD lever is a crutch that will be a handicap for you when you pick up an AR that doesn't have it. BAD is a fitting name for it. The only bolt release mod I'd do is a larger one but not a completely different system. Muscle memory will be impeded by using a BAD lever. If you have big puffy winter gloves on or bump fire the BAD lever will get in the way.
e

Excellent post Rob. I also shoot left handed and feel the same as you do. You explained it better than I did in my previous post, but it makes sense and applies to my shooting style. My levers are not loose either, but I also snug them down tight and use blue loc tite as well... Currently, I have one installed on my Stag left hand 6HL and my new Noveske... I really like having the option of the bad lever.
As soon as Rock River makes a piston left I'm selling my Stag.

As soon as Rock River makes a piston left I'm selling my Stag.

I'm pretty happy with my Stag. Fires without a hiccup, is smooth and damn accurate. What will the RRA bring to the table that the Stag would not be better???? Trust me, I've fired RRA's, and they are nothing to write home about. A buddies RRA ATH carbine treads real close to the heals of my lowly ol Rogue Defense though.....;)

I'm pretty happy with my Stag. Fires without a hiccup, is smooth and damn accurate. What will the RRA bring to the table that the Stag would not be better???? Trust me, I've fired RRA's, and they are nothing to write home about. A buddies RRA ATH carbine treads real close to the heals of my lowly ol Rogue Defense though.....;)
My Stag fires great, accurate, they just didn't go all the way with the left hand design, which is weird considering the capabilities of CNC and CAD/CAM software these days; the bolt release should be on the right side of the receiver like RRA. RRA even has opposite rifling so that it recoils properly - which is a true lefty. Even the little things like RRA's windage adjustment knobs on their backup sights are on the left.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top