JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 711386

View attachment 711387

View attachment 711388

View attachment 711389

View attachment 711390

Original Henry Leman Trade Rifle....circa late 1830's
Percussion , full maple stock , single trigger and cap box , .50 caliber and a 42 inch barrel.

The lock made by "Ashmore" , was converted from flint to percussion...
Although I think that the rifle was always a percussion rifle , the lock being converted prior to the rifle being assembled.

The beautiful stripe pattern on the stock is a mixture of natural and artificial stripping.
Also notice that the sights are low...this is very common for guns of the 18th and 19th centuries.

This rifle still gets used today with an occasional shooting match or hunting trip.
Andy

Mornin', Andy. How would you go about finding a Model of 1842 Harper's Ferry rifled musket?

7mm Mauser IMO is underpowered.

7x57, underpowered.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

1592332968696.png

I might have been thinking of 7mm Japanese... 7mm something. My buddy's daughter had one and the cartridge was less than medium size.

The 7x57 Mauser is about1/4" longer than the definitive 'medium-size' cartridge - the 308Win.

Left to right - .308Win with 155gr Lapua Scenar - 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser with 140gr FMJ - 7x57 Mauser with original 175gr DWM nickel jacket FMJ from 1901 - as used by the Boers against the British and Empire forces during the 2nd Boer War. My own Mauser carbine was taken from Pieter Huijsen after the Battle of Korannafontein on May 10 1901 by the Australians who had just been taught a bloody lesson. My carbine is just THREE digits away from the one shown in Forgotten Weapons. See the bottom of the post -

1592342741077.png

My 1897 Deutsche Waffen und Munition/Ludwig Loewe Berlin Mauser carbine serial #6691.

1592343272691.png

Ian McCullum's carbine #6688.

1592343570034.png

Pretty cool, eh? :)

Last Edited:
The 270 debate reminds me of a time long ago.

Sitting around the fire in some distant cave were a group of early hominids debating the best spear points to knapp for the next days hunt, while some said it was all about the proper size of point, others argued it was all about thrown spear placement. Some swore the new fangled clovis point was the surely way to go, while others used their grandfathers points. Then one hunter spouted off about the time some old one killed a fully grown cave bear with a childs practice spear.... the others quickly dismissed such a tale and told them to never utter it again.

How the next days mammoth hunt went is anyones guess, if lucky enough to get a kill, and not be maimed or killed by the beast, then the darn saber toothed tigers came sniffing around the fresh kill, stalking the hunters in the shadows....

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top