JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I'm not wearing pants and someone breaks into my place, I'll just brandish my pump-action short-gun.

They might run away or they might drop to the floor and turn blue in a fit of uncontrolled laughter.

Either way, I win. :D

LOL

As mentioned above, ear protection is worth consideration.

I have a pair of foam earplugs sitting on my nightstand next to my glasses, CCW, cell phone, and mini-flashlight. These orange foam earplugs stay there 24/7. They work well at the range and I can still hear the RSO commands, so I feel confident they'll be adequate if I ever need them.

Last Edited:
1) "But the Colt Detective Special had a six shot cylinder and was about the same size as the Chief's Special."
The DS isn't as big as the 2" M&P, but it's enough bigger than the CS to make a difference in carrying.
2) "This is true. But a thrown rock will do the same job as an unstuck tomahawk."
The 'hawk has the leverage imparted by the handle, like a stick grenade as opposed to a pineapple. The one L.E.J. used to dispatch the 2nd toughest guy at the rendezvous was in effect a sharp rock tied to a stick.
3) "Auditory exclusion will most likely occur, and reducing the probability of hearing any potential responder is of not of particular benefit."
Auditory exclusion will not prevent noise-induced hearing damage. Electronic mouse ears live next to the gun.

I would not as in NEVER dismiss 'hawks, camp axes (Any handle length.) or knives as a extra level of defense even if you have a firearm next to your bed.

There are people out there who don't own firearms and they use the above and some of them keep a baseball bat close to their bed or front door too. Construction quality, house hammer and screwdriver. Old fashioned - not electric ones are some good ideas too.

Don't laugh at this but I think that a pitchfork would help someone in a non firearm household too. I keep my pitchfork in the garage with my other yard tools but it would work for some people who would want a longer handle on a tool.

COIN in a sock is an old standby in no gun zones too.

My husband has a couple of sling shots as a senior citizen too. He had them as a kid too. NOT that he would use them when he has a handguns and rifles. But he has a couple of sling shots.

Some of his (My MT husband not my late husband.) other senior citizen friends GREW UP throwing 'hawks and knives and they did this as a sport in the woods or in places in town where it was safe.

ALL of the men and boys that I knew carried a pocket knife too. NOT just when they were in the Boy Scouts either! I am talking about men in all kinds of work and professions. I knew some women who did this but it was mostly men. Long before I was born in the early 50's too.

Your mileage may vary. NO problem.

I would have to put on my Rx eyeglasses since I take them off when I sleep. I have worn Rx eyeglasses since I was 5 years old. They are within a few inches from the edge of my bed. Flashlights, etc.

There are two telephones in the bedroom. Corded old fashioned land line with a long cord. Portable land line. Portable land line on the other end of the house. The portable telephone works in the garage and in the yard but I would stay INSIDE my house.

I sleep with several lights on throughout this small, one floor house. I live inside a town now but there is a LARGE amount of land, lots of vegetation, behind me in a no build zone all of the way down, down and down to the river. There are a couple of large, deep ponds/lakes too.

I do not live way up in the mountains as I did when I first moved out here. Camping and in a tiny log cabin on private land butt up to the wilderness - very remote - very wild!

I did the same thing with 'lights on' when I had a very large house - 3 levels including a full basement, back east, but I had one or more dogs for all of those years in the first house that I built. I lived in the boonies. Farm/lake country.

Regarding having neighbors close to you on one side or on two sides of your main dwelling. Walls, outside and inside walls. The one gentleman mentioned this when it came to shooting and neighbors close to you. That is something to consider no matter where you live. Extremely remote, wilderness, boonies, rural, in town, etc. This house here is not an ALL brick house as my former house was.

I am looking at land now and I am considering that small cabin and it's placement on the property.

Plus I am considering some type of SECURITY camera system whether I am ON or off the grid but most likely ON grid even though I have a good generator now. We use it if the power goes out for a longer time frame for our large chest freezer in the garage. Plus it can handle a couple of other things if needed even though we live IN town for now. Another thread - another section of this forum.

Nice dogs in this thread! I have not had a dog/dogs since I moved out west. The German Shepherd and the pound puppy Samoyed lived to an old age. They were one year apart in age.

Cate
Added more.

Last Edited:
I figured I'd start a thread on what people's go to firearms are ether they be long guns or handguns. Mine is a 16" cold hammer forged ELW BCM upper on an Aero Precision lower with a Trijicon MRO with ADM QD mount. It has a Surefire M600 with cloud defensive tape switch mount and Radian ambi charging handle and 45 degree offset safety. It is loaded with Speer Gold Dot 62gr GDSP in .223. What are yours?

View attachment 589636
Ruger .357 Mag revolver with 12-gauge pump for backup...!

Pistol Collection.jpg

I figured I'd start a thread on what people's go to firearms are ether they be long guns or handguns. Mine is a 16" cold hammer forged ELW BCM upper on an Aero Precision lower with a Trijicon MRO with ADM QD mount. It has a Surefire M600 with cloud defensive tape switch mount and Radian ambi charging handle and 45 degree offset safety. It is loaded with Speer Gold Dot 62gr GDSP in .223. What are yours?

View attachment 589636
Mine is listed in the classified (handguns) section with photos. It's a Springfield Armory Saint, Vortex CQB, ammo, latest generation P-Mags, etc. Short & quick, reliable, accurate, lots of firepower....I think. Bore sighted only, unfired...
Semper Fi

It shoots kinda slow but the switch only has 2 position ... safe and auto

C73-F2-C0-F-FFFD-4349-AD3-C-75-D060879-DDE.jpg
Or if I don't have my hearing protection handy, this one, the selector has 3 positions but if I'm in a hurry I just push it all the way down. Not sure why it's not on safe ... maybe because its not in the safe oh.gif

Omega-MP5-SD-N.jpg

Andy, I would figure you would have some sort of large caliber BP beastie and a big ole' bar killin' knife. You getting all modern on us old friend?

Oh we all know my first love is black powder...and good old carbon steel for a knife...
But I actually do own some of them modern cartridge guns... They are fun to own and shoot...even if they will never catch on...:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads