JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shoes can track lead dust into your house and car. Wipe them down or change them before getting into your car after leaving the range. If you're over 60, just stop worrying about it. It takes decades for symptoms to show up unless it's a severe exposure.

Unless you're a child.

Like you said - lead exposure takes a lot over a long time to harm adults. Kids, especially youngsters, can get messed up with far less exposure.

I'm with OP - I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've got separate shooting shoes and clothes and both get changed out before I get back in the car to head home. Hands and face get wiped down at the range and I'll shower when home.

I see it as no different than changing into my climbing clothes before a climb, or my swim trunks before a swim, or gym clothes before a workout.

Unless you're a child.

Like you said - lead exposure takes a lot over a long time to harm adults. Kids, especially youngsters, can get messed up with far less exposure.

I'm with OP - I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've got separate shooting shoes and clothes and both get changed out before I get back in the car to head home. Hands and face get wiped down at the range and I'll shower when home.

I see it as no different than changing into my climbing clothes before a climb, or my swim trunks before a swim, or gym clothes before a workout.
Your bones absorb lead the same way they do calcium, so those with growing bones are many times more susceptible to lead poisoning. As I understand it, the younger they are the worse it is. Be especially careful around pregnant women.

For hands, gloves and/or a barrier cream or lotion. For particulates, the 3M N-100 mask is certified for lead abatement.

This particulate respirator is NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) approved for environments containing certain non-oil based particles and provides N100 (99.97%) filter efficiency. Respirator helps provide protection against certain OSHA substance specific contaminants including lead, MDA, arsenic, and cadmium (excluding asbestos).

RE : Post #23

BUT, But, but.....consider.......
That there is also the residue of burnt powder too.
Different chemicals? I could imagine, maybe/probably heavy metals are used in the manufacturing process of gun powder. And/or released, when burnt. Then add, possibly extra different additives in some gun powder(s). Rrrright.....to tailor it for specific properties. The possible added flash retardant chemicals.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Here's a dirty little secret for all the self-proclaimed "health nuts" out there: you, too, will die. Deal with it.

Honestly, without doing any research or internet searches I'm sure I could rattle off at least a hundred ways that exposure to ____________ (fill in the blank) will harm health. Hell, just look at virtually any product you buy and read the label: "This product is known to the State of California to cause cancer."

So what's the answer, live in fear? Paranoia? Become a hypochondriac? Absolutely not. Jettison that crap. Just live the life you've been given, fully, knowing you will die just as assuredly as the most fearful, paranoid, and "health nut" hypochondriac.

Bottom line: Live life while you're living. Then die and be done with it.

I have no doubt that I am exposed to lead when I shoot...
I also have no doubt that throughout most of my days and nights , there are health risks and dangers that I come into chance contact with.
Personally I don't overly worry 'bout it.
Andy

Last Edited:
I have a good friend that nearly died from lead exposure. He was a police officer that shot a lot, cast bullets and hand loaded.

Lead acetate can kill you fast, real fast by breathing and or transmission through skin.
Mixing two common household ingredients creates a solution that very readily dissolves lead and is then that deadly thing. Quite a few people use this two-part solution to de-lead silencer internals etc.
If you do this, take all precautions.

Most indoor ranges do not allow lead bullets for this reason as it produces a mist of led every timed a gun is fired. Even though most have air filtration systems the systems will not get all the residue.

Back in 2007 I worked at an indoor range just a bit over a year and we where tested every 6 months and, in that time, my led count went up 2 points and so did several others. They went in and did a lot of changes to the filtration system after that. I had found a different job at that time but the remaining folks said their levels did not go up too much after that.

Now we where on the range at least 20 hours a week at that time and now they do a rotational set up so no one is on the floor more than 8 hours a week now.

So, my advice is limit indoor range time, if possible, do not eat or drink on the range and wash hands and face before doing so off the range. Change your outfit asap.

I keep baby wet wipes in my range bag for just the occasion. I now shoot out doors pretty much all the time and try NOT to clean my guns unless I have to but that's because I just lazy.

Or you can fallow COVID protocol and you will be safe. Don't go to the range unless you have to and if you do wear a mask and stay 6 feet from your guns and all other shooters.

Most indoor ranges do not allow lead bullets for this reason as it produces a mist of led every timed a gun is fired. Even though most have air filtration systems the systems will not get all the residue.

Back in 2007 I worked at an indoor range just a bit over a year and we were tested every 6 months and, in that time, my led count went up 2 points and so did several others. They went in and did a lot of changes to the filtration system after that. I had found a different job at that time but the remaining folks said their levels did not go up too much after that.

Now we where on the range at least 20 hours a week at that time and now they do a rotational set up so no one is on the floor more than 8 hours a week now.

So, my advice is limit indoor range time, if possible, do not eat or drink on the range and wash hands and face before doing so off the range. Change your outfit asap.

I keep baby wet wipes in my range bag for just the occasion. I now shoot out doors pretty much all the time and try NOT to clean my guns unless I have to but that's because I just lazy.

Or you can fallow COVID protocol and you will be safe. Don't go to the range unless you have to and if you do wear a mask and stay 6 feet from your guns and all other shooters.
Do you happen to recall how much/what level they measured in you? Levels are measured in micrograms per deciliter.

-E-

I shoot 50 - 100 times per year, teach at ranges, reload, and clean guns so I respect your OP query. I use lead removing wipes at the range (one of our ranges now supplies them, good for them), Use D-Lead soap with cold water at the house (hot water opens pores, allowing for more exposure), don't eat while shooting, reloading or cleaning. Also have my lead levels checked annually during my physical, slightly elevated but still in high normal range.

Things I could do better include wearing gloves while cleaning but I just don't like to. Moved my tumbler to a concrete slab in the man cave off the carpet in the reloading area. You are correct that primers have lead and from some information I have seen, the biggest exposure can be found in the tumbling media when cleaning cases. Easier to keep this area clean. I'm not crazy about it (I don't think) just try to be consistent.

Something to think about?
For some reason, I just watched this video this morning unrelated to this thread. It was actually quite interesting, mostly about lead in fuel (and still in Av Gas as others noted). I learned some stuff without Gretta yelling, "How dare you!" at me.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews