JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What is the treatment if you had high levels?

Usually removal of (from) the source....
This.

If the poisoning is severe enough, there are also medications which can bind & clear the lead.

There truly is no safe lead level, plus everyone is different. Some may react poorly to a lead level that has no affect on others. Be wary of changes to your baseline general & neurological health, particularly if changes are otherwise unexplainable.

Best practice is to always try to reduce exposure. Use air handler systems if shooting indoors. Wear gloves. Limit eating when shooting. Wear disposable gloves cleaning firearms, handling ammunition & reloading. Etc.

I don't cast, but if/when I do, it will be done outside.

I also don't mine burms for casting. If/when I do, ill likely have particular work wear for such, along with a mask especially if sifting/screening the harvest lead to reduce inhaling dust.

Interesting, all this lead exposure stuff.

As a pipefitter/plumber, I've worked with lead extensively. I've dealt with severely oxidized fishing sinkers, and I've shot firearms my whole life. I've reloaded for many years, both centerfire and shotgun. But when it was discovered our backup fresh water head-tank at work was lined with red-lead paint, I thought maybe I should get myself tested.

The results? No detectable lead. Go figure.

Last Edited:
As others have said, absorption varies greatly from individual to individual. My former co-worker who made the down-rigger balls, for him getting the level down was a slow process.

When I was casting bullets, it was done outdoors without fail. If the air was calm, I would set up a fan on one side of the table to cause a draft over the work space. Summer was always bullet casting season in the PNW.

What did the Naturopathic Dr. do to correctly diagnose it as lead poisoning and subsequently save his life that the conventional Drs could not?
Some physicians are competetent, some are good, some are excellent. Unfortunately, some shouldn't be doctors.
I have met enough of the incompetent ones to catch the clues quickly. A characteristic common among all of those bad ones is they feel their opinion is the be-all-end-all.

Some physicians are competetent, some are good, some are excellent. Unfortunately, some shouldn't be doctors.
I have met enough of the incompetent ones to catch the clues quickly. A characteristic common among all of those bad ones is they feel their opinion is the be-all-end-all.
This is true with everything. The bell curve encompasses competency, the majority of people fall within one standard deviation of the median, 33% in either direction, then you have the outliers above and below.

saw a video somewwhere about this dude who would take old PC parts and extract the gold and such from it in this old pan.. then his family would then cook their food int he same pan.

This is true with everything. The bell curve encompasses competency, the majority of people fall within one standard deviation of the median, 33% in either direction, then you have the outliers above and below.
Yes, but one would expect (or hope), that the selection process for medical school would create a higher cluster of competency, such as a sharply leptokurtic spread. My observation is that it is leptokurtic, with a large negative skew. The gems are hard to find.

Yea - it was almost scary to watch. The work environment and tools suggest this place has no EPA.

I wonder where the electrolyte he dumps into the hole in the ground ends up?
Ever wonder why our commerce departments started the avalanche of jobs to Mexico and then China? Cheap labor, no environmental or OSHA regulations. Many companies built factories in Mexico, found they could not achieve quality there.

Pakistan. Absolutely no EPA, OSHA or any other safety measures in the workplace.

Yea - it was almost scary to watch. The work environment and tools suggest this place has no EPA.

I wonder where the electrolyte he dumps into the hole in the ground ends up?
You guys completely missed the joke, like clean over your heads. Or maybe I missed in the telling of said joke.

Yes, but one would expect (or hope), that the selection process for medical school would create a higher cluster of competency, such as a sharply leptokurtic spread. My observation is that it is leptokurtic, with a large negative skew. The gems are hard to find.
Sigh, unfortunately no. I'm an engineer, and there's definitely good ones and bad ones.

The bell curve can be broken down into competency. There's the majority, then there's the outliers.

On the advice of a friend had a Blood Lead Level (BLL) test done. Results show I have slightly elevated levels but no immediate concern. I think this is one of the overlooked aspects of firearm ownership. If you shoot or reload on a regular basis might want to talk to your Primary Care Physician about getting a BLL test. They just need to take a little blood and you can always couple it with any other blood lab work you might need done. As for me - will start making sure to wash my hands after shooting or reloading and before eating or drinking. No more drinks or snacks anywhere near the firing line. When shooting indoors I'll make sure the exhaust system is running. Probably get retested in 6-months or a year.
Cilantro 🌿 is claimed to have the ability to remove heavy metals from the human body. It's cheap and one can run in through a juicer mixed with other veggies and fruit….kinda have to gag it down , but I always feel better for doing so.

Cilantro 🌿 is claimed to have the ability to remove heavy metals from the human body. It's cheap and one can run in through a juicer mixed with other veggies and fruit….kinda have to gag it down , but I always feel better for doing so.
Coriander bush. Grows well here if you treat it like lettuce.
Does parsley do the same for lead? How about other metals?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top