JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a bit of a health nut and I try to reduce my exposure to lead from firearms. I have some wipes I use on my hands and was thinking about getting some of the d lead soap for clothing and hands after shooting. Does anyone know if anywhere sells that stuff retail around the PDX metro area? What steps do you take to minimize exposure to lead from shooting?

I shoot plated bullets. I don't know if there is any lead exposure from them.

Shoot outside. Use a mag loader tool. Clean the guns outside using something like alcohol or oil first before getting to the nastier solvents.

I was doing some reading on the subject and it seems like most primers have lead in them, so when you fire and there's smoke from the shot, that contains lead dust that settles on you and your clothing. So with plated ammo, you are not getting it from loading and handling ammo, but the airborne risk is still there.

Adding cleaning grade vinegar to the wash should aid in removing lead from clothing. No need for specialty detergent.

Other than that, avoid ranges. Shot lead free ammunition. Wear an industrial face mask with proper filtration elements. Perhaps a disposable hazmat suit.

1650650174364.jpeg

Lead exposure is a bit like radiation exposure - you will never completely eliminate either and it's uncertain that even if you could if there is a minimum amount your body needs.

I would bet that the small amount of lead from a primer that gets close enough for you to inhale is likely below what you get normally from the environment.

FWIW I used to be a radiographer and was in contact with both of them daily and it never bothered me a bit. I will say, however, that my third hand and prehensile tail come in handy all the time.

I was doing some reading on the subject and it seems like most primers have lead in them, so when you fire and there's smoke from the shot, that contains lead dust that settles on you and your clothing. So with plated ammo, you are not getting it from loading and handling ammo, but the airborne risk is still there.
I believe the more "correct way" of saying it.......would be that........

Plated and even some FMJ bullets can/will lessen the lead released. But it's about the amount of "exposure". Yeah....even that FMJ usually has an exposed lead tail.

So then......
Thinking further......
IF there is some exposed lead it will still put some lead into the air vs. say a bullet -one made purely of ____some other element NOT lead___. Yeah.....Copper bullets, silver bullets, wooden bullets, ohhhhhh and ice bullets??

Awwww....... Come on Man.

As for a genuine fully enclosed lead core only bullet? Whatever.......my mind hurts from trying to save the earth.

How_Dare_You.gif

Aloha, Mark

PS.....and YES....the POLICE use gunshot residue to help with some convictions. Just washing up isn't that successful anymore.

Last Edited:
Shoes can track lead dust into your house and car. Wipe them down or change them before getting into your car after leaving the range. If you're over 60, just stop worrying about it. It takes decades for symptoms to show up unless it's a severe exposure.

You're in the Portland area, that has already increased your chances of acute hot lead exposure.

City officials recommend mitigating this by placing traffic barrels around yourself. Or, you can go full safety and wear one.
DUK-CuIWsAAuM9P.jpg

-Robert

Some people are acutely affected by heavy metals. You may or may not be.
I never worried about it until a year or two ago, but that may be why I'm terminally stupid. I have enough carcinogens and asbestos in me that if lead gets me first, it'll be a blessing.

Adding cleaning grade vinegar to the wash should aid in removing lead from clothing. No need for specialty detergent.

Other than that, avoid ranges. Shot lead free ammunition. Wear an industrial face mask with proper filtration elements. Perhaps a disposable hazmat suit.
If you add vinegar, it makes lead acetate, which readily absorbs transdermally. Basically, if you wash it this way, do another wash in the tub to "clean out" the remaining lead acetate.

Suck it up, buttercup.
Unless you have pre-teen kids, don't overthink it.

I'm a bit of a health nut and I try to reduce my exposure to lead from firearms. I have some wipes I use on my hands and was thinking about getting some of the d lead soap for clothing and hands after shooting. Does anyone know if anywhere sells that stuff retail around the PDX metro area? What steps do you take to minimize exposure to lead from shooting?
DO you live near an Airport?
Your lead exposure near an Airport is 1800 times greater then a single day of shootin!
Doubt me, park your car near a municipal airport for a day and have a close look at your cars paint, that dust is pure lead!

Years ago, there was a big study by one of the big universities that pointed out the most lead exposure was due to the burning of leaded fuel, and despite auto fuel being lead free, LL100 Av-Gas in NOT Lead Free, Yet!
Shooting isn't going to be exposing you to as much as handling the lead bullets will!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews