JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is the whole news conference from the PD. Allot of good facts about shots fired, department policies and bad guy records in this debriefing.
I think the Officers did what was needed. BTW, at the end of the video, the driver jumps out and runs up the stairs of a middle school, trying to gain entry.

KUDOS to the LVPD

The dead suspect's nickname was CABEZON. The Cabezon is a particularly ugly fish.

This is how the dead felon viewed himself. Here is Cabezon:

Cabezon.jpg

Thats called, having your hands full. You would think they could get rid of the old Motorola and get a hands off radioo_O

Motorola has a huge sales force and government contracts are the biggest item in their income stream. They even outbid us, their own Motorola 5star dealer for a project to replace local repeaters and dispatch. Screwed us good. Then the La Grande PD got a new police chief from Calif and the PD switched to Kenwood in the cars... hahahahahahahaha!!! But those Quantars are still in place and they have a guy that comes out from The Dalles 3 days to two weeks later when they need service... hahahahahaha!!!! We guaranteed them 2 hour response 24/7 but after their new contract with Motorola, we were finally able to start taking weekends off after 30yrs.

Wait, there are hands-free radios? I been retired for awhile. :rolleyes: Glad to be out of it tho, safety vehicle installations are a huge pain in the azz!!!!! Two or more radios, a light bar, a siren package, tie the external speaker to the radio, a portable radio UHF link, a Toughbook laptop mount, a long gun and shotty mount, an interior light kill switch, a brake light kill switch, a video recorder and all it's tie-ins, a cellphone mount etc, wig wag flashers, aux blue and red lights, etc etc etc. Ugh.

The dead suspect's

But is doing that really effective? I guess it must be, for law enforcement to be doing this??

I have watched several shows and videos about shooting through windshields and it appears if done correctly it can be very effective. Would like to try on a range sometime.

I know right, as long as being reckless might as well go big or go home.

Shooting an assumed 9mm through a window helps stabilize the bullet trajectory.

Now if we're talking the superior 40, then no commenting required.

No comment is EVER "required", but we do what we please, eh? And we are all so eminently qualified to criticize too. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Inferesting point of view. My dad was in the Army from 1966 to 1991 and was a helicopter pilot. If you think about the thousands of hours he had in Hueys and Cobras, simulator time, and the amount of training he had in flight school, it greatly exceeds what I get as an LEO.

A pilot's main focus is to fly. His aircraft is an extension of himself. Especially a helicoper that requires continuous control inputs. An LEOs main focus, given today's training curriculum, is to talk their way out of most situations because thats 99% of the job. Communicating with the public, presence, simple law violations, etc. We get very little full-speed fighting training because people would get hurt. My department is one of the ones that I know of that does its own force-on-force training with simmunitions.

To make the comparison more equal, flying to a pilot is like talking to an LEO. A gunfight to an LEO is like performing an autorotation with a bird full of troops while under fire and the only clear spot is a mile further than you think you can reach while flying through a flock of geese in the rain.

I bet the washout rate for prospective military pilots is way higher than LE. There are lots of LEOs that wouldn't medically qualify to be a pilot.

IMO best post of the thread!!!

Respectfully ... Personal Rant ...

I turned the video off after watching just a little bit of that stupid non necessary DANGEROUS high speed chase. If I had been caught out driving a fire engine like that going to a three alarm fire I would have had my arse fired right on the spot.

The guy in in the cop car has hash marks on his blouse. He should know better. How fast was he going? How many red lights did he blow through? How much public danger did HE create? Forget the alleged perp. What about the cop's driving?

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Notice his ONE HAND on the wheel? Notice his lack of checking the intersections? High speed bump car driving like this really gets my goat. I did not watch to the end. At what point did the COP DECIDE TO KILL THE DRIVER?

Respectfully ...

You got a lot to say for someone that didn't watch the vid. And as has been pointed out, driving a fire truck is NOT the same as giving chase to an armed murderer. IDK, tell us... how many red lights did he blow thru? Personally, I thought he drove with a big concern for safety seeing as how his thumb was on the horn so much telling all the dumbos that don't respond to red and blu flashers to get the hell out of the way. That's a sore enough point with me that I even chastized a good friend today for not pulling all the way over when two staters were passing by going the other way code 3. I might be a profligate rule breaker but some things are sacred.

When the murderer he was chasing started shooting at him, I am pretty sure. He was also driving at speed to keep contact with said fleeing murderer. The public danger was already there. A 3 or 5 alarm fire is a wholely different animal than a fleeing killer willing to shoot at police from a moving vehicle. The fire isn't going anywhere. It may trap or birn people yes, but its far easier for people to get out of harms way of a fire in a fixed location, than that of a mobile murderer.

Autoglass may deflect bullet trajectory, but its not magically going to throw rounds 45 or 90 degrees off center. Deflection is a few degrees in typically a vertical orientation. This killer was a huge publuc safety risk himself, moreso than any fire, and he needed to be stopped. Could things have been done different? Of course. But its a dangerous world, the cop has a dangerous job, and he did what he did to minimize the dangers. He could've pulled a Broward County and nope'd out, but he didn't, and things ended as well as they could've given the circumstances. No bystanders were hurt, and a murderous thug was removed from the gene pool.

2nd best post of the thread!!

Respectfully ... Personal Rant ...

I turned the video off after watching just a little bit of that stupid non necessary DANGEROUS high speed chase. If I had been caught out driving a fire engine like that going to a three alarm fire I would have had my arse fired right on the spot.

The guy in in the cop car has hash marks on his blouse. He should know better. How fast was he going? How many red lights did he blow through? How much public danger did HE create? Forget the alleged perp. What about the cop's driving?

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Notice his ONE HAND on the wheel? Notice his lack of checking the intersections? High speed bump car driving like this really gets my goat. I did not watch to the end. At what point did the COP DECIDE TO KILL THE DRIVER?

Respectfully ...

Yea, you are absolutely right. We should allow two heavily armed felons, with a history of violent crimes, to gun down and murder a person right in front of a school in broad daylight, and not pursue them. A violent murder like that is really no big deal at all, unless the dead dude had friends and family. It might potentially be upsetting to them, but, after all, who cares about them?

Your statements make perfectly rational sense. I am astounded by how impeccable your logic is here. It amazes me.

tumblr_omkupnTYvq1rwq16go1_500.gif

Yea, you are absolutely right. We should allow two heavily armed felons, with a history of violent crimes, to gun down and murder a person right in front of a school in broad daylight, and not pursue them. A violent murder like that is really no big deal at all, unless the dead dude had friends and family. It might potentially be upsetting to them, but, after all, who cares about them?

Your statements make perfectly rational sense. I am astounded by how impeccable your logic is here. It amazes me.

View attachment 478979
Come on, man, he was probably a sovereign citizen!

Thats called, having your hands full. You would think they could get rid of the old Motorola and get a hands off radioo_O
"Siri, report shots fired."
Your message reads: 'Reporting scots mired.' Are you ready to send it?
"No! SHOTS FIRED!"
Your message reads: 'No bots tired.' Are you ready to send it?
"No! Cancel the message!"
Cancelled your Tuesday massage appointment. Would you like to reschedule it?
"No, you stupid b*tch!" [shots fired at radio]

And yes, I have CarPlay in my truck and it's normally pretty slick, but sometimes it's REALLY frustrating.

"Siri, report shots fired."
Your message reads: 'Reporting scots mired.' Are you ready to send it?
"No! SHOTS FIRED!"
Your message reads: 'No bots tired.' Are you ready to send it?
"No! Cancel the message!"
Cancelled your Tuesday massage appointment. Would you like to reschedule it?
"No, you stupid b*tch!" [shots fired at radio]

And yes, I have CarPlay in my truck and it's normally pretty slick, but sometimes it's REALLY frustrating.
Car Play is pretty nice, most of the time....

Ive heard from those far more trained and experienced than myself that firing through the windshield is an accepted practice and does not significantly alter the trajectory of the bullet... especially at the distances we see in this situation.

Ive even seen/heard of it being advocated for in self defense situations not just LE/Mil circles... if trapped in the car for example and you cannot get away, shoot through the glass.

Which I thought was silly too... but found a few guys demonstrating it and it it works just fine. The legal implications of it are iffy, especially for a CCWer... but whatever gets you out alive, I guess.

As for the cop firing 31 rounds... thats nothing really, considering the situation. Probably carrying 15+1 and another 15 in the reload.
Cops have fired like that at unarmed people ... Id say that in the case of pursuing a murderer who is firing at you... any amount of rounds would be justified in my opinion.

Done before... Then again, it wasnt in a crowded urban area and was using a rifle...

Recreation of the above, in a more... controlled environment.

or this

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top