JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very surprised they didn't back off the chase when the suspects are taking random shots of the pursuing cops.

The difference is a continued threat to the public. Unknown if the murder was random or directed, most likely directed, but until the facts show that...one can easily articulate a threat to the public...unlike a stolen car etc.

Thats called, having your hands full. You would think they could get rid of the old Motorola and get a hands off radioo_O

Keeping your wits about you under such an adrenaline rush is pretty darn badazz. Yeah, he fumbled the mag swap, but under the circumstances, how many wouldn't fumble. Plus it was done while sitting in the car and still under potential fire. Good on the officer for bringing this to an end. Seems a bit unorthodox, but it worked here. I'm just wondering why he didn't Pitt the guy when he got so close.

Now, I wonder if insurance will cover that new windshield? :rolleyes:

Most likely because of the gunfire back at him...distance is your friend. Also possibly because his vehicle wasn't set up for it, or he wasn't trained...he had a lot going thru his head during the whole chase.

He certainly had a lot going on, more than many could manage under such duress. Just looking at this from an armchair quarterback position, he pulled up on his rear quarter panel, I actually though, to Pitt the guy, not to get a closer shot. It's such a common tactic in police pursuits. I figured if he had hit him there the guy would have spun to the right, in front of his cruiser, which would have put the cruiser between him and the bad guy when they came to a stop, giving the officer some additional cover between him and the bad guys. But then I wasn't there and I won't critique his choices, because what he did do obviously worked, just thinking out loud.

I know this may sound like armchair QB, but let's look at this from a different perspective.

Probably a bad example, but here goes...how much training does a combat fixed wing or rotor pilot get before going into a combat zone? Even when being shot at, ground to air missiles being fired at them, evasive maneuvers etc., they keep their head and keep flying...that's their training taking over.

The same can happen when presented with a situation as shown in the video, one can keep their head and fight through what is dealt...or somewhat fall apart.

I would like to know his background with firearm use, not only within the LE job, but personal as well. How much training does their dept. devote to firearms training and some scenario based training? If its like a lot of agencies, its extremely pitiful, and won't prepare an Officer for such a confrontation.

As I've said in other threads...I've sat in on some AAR's, debriefs of Officers shortly after their shooting, and interviews some time after. I've yet to have any of them tell me..."Steve, that was an advanced gunfight I was in." Nope...what I get..."Steve, my firearms and other training didn't prepare me for that."

Given the odds of training time devoted, most likely not his fault...but I've known some Officers who fall apart with a simple chase etc. More background facts about the Officer and his training would help.

Shooting through the window seemed like an idiot move. Also left him with an empty weapon upon stopping.

Glad there was a positive outcome getting bad guy, though he was lucky he didn't kill himself or innocent bystanders.

More like a video of what not to do...

Last Edited:
Shooting through the window seemed like and idiot move. Also left him with an empty weapon upon stopping.

Glad there was a positive outcome getting bad guy, though he was lucky he didn't kill himself or innocent bystanders.

More like a video of what not to do...
The engine provides the best cover and you're pretty stable and you're already there and piloting a one ton death/escape machine so.. what?

I know right, as long as being reckless might as well go big or go home.

Shooting an assumed 9mm through a window helps stabilize the bullet trajectory.

Now if we're talking the superior 40, then no commenting required.

I'll bet this video will be used for training purposes in the near future. Fine example of how adrenaline can wreck coherent thought.

Kudos for staying alive & finally trashing the douchebags but I got to ask the only 2 questions that has it been asked, why didn't he reach up with his foot and kick his windshield out. Why no PIT attempt? They do in Hollywood all the time what the HEY????:p

I know this may sound like armchair QB, but let's look at this from a different perspective.

Probably a bad example, but here goes...how much training does a combat fixed wing or rotor pilot get before going into a combat zone? Even when being shot at, ground to air missiles being fired at them, evasive maneuvers etc., they keep their head and keep flying...that's their training taking over.

The same can happen when presented with a situation as shown in the video, one can keep their head and fight through what is dealt...or somewhat fall apart.

I would like to know his background with firearm use, not only within the LE job, but personal as well. How much training does their dept. devote to firearms training and some scenario based training? If its like a lot of agencies, its extremely pitiful, and won't prepare an Officer for such a confrontation.

As I've said in other threads...I've sat in on some AAR's, debriefs of Officers shortly after their shooting, and interviews some time after. I've yet to have any of them tell me..."Steve, that was an advanced gunfight I was in." Nope...what I get..."Steve, my firearms and other training didn't prepare me for that."

Given the odds of training time devoted, most likely not his fault...but I've known some Officers who fall apart with a simple chase etc. More background facts about the Officer and his training would help.

Interesting point of view. My dad was in the Army from 1966 to 1991 and was a helicopter pilot. If you think about the thousands of hours he had in Hueys and Cobras, simulator time, and the amount of training he had in flight school, it greatly exceeds what I get as an LEO.

A pilot's main focus is to fly. His aircraft is an extension of himself. Especially a helicoper that requires continuous control inputs. An LEOs main focus, given today's training curriculum, is to talk their way out of most situations because thats 99% of the job. Communicating with the public, presence, simple law violations, etc. We get very little full-speed fighting training because people would get hurt. My department is one of the ones that I know of that does its own force-on-force training with simmunitions.

To make the comparison more equal, flying to a pilot is like talking to an LEO. A gunfight to an LEO is like performing an autorotation with a bird full of troops while under fire and the only clear spot is a mile further than you think you can reach while flying through a flock of geese in the rain.

I bet the washout rate for prospective military pilots is way higher than LE. There are lots of LEOs that wouldn't medically qualify to be a pilot.

Last Edited:
Respectfully ... Personal Rant ...

I turned the video off after watching just a little bit of that stupid non necessary DANGEROUS high speed chase. If I had been caught out driving a fire engine like that going to a three alarm fire I would have had my arse fired right on the spot.

The guy in in the cop car has hash marks on his blouse. He should know better. How fast was he going? How many red lights did he blow through? How much public danger did HE create? Forget the alleged perp. What about the cop's driving?

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Notice his ONE HAND on the wheel? Notice his lack of checking the intersections? High speed bump car driving like this really gets my goat. I did not watch to the end. At what point did the COP DECIDE TO KILL THE DRIVER?

Respectfully ...

Respectfully ... Personal Rant ...

I turned the video off after watching just a little bit of that stupid non necessary DANGEROUS high speed chase. If I had been caught out driving a fire engine like that going to a three alarm fire I would have had my arse fired right on the spot.

The guy in in the cop car has hash marks on his blouse. He should know better. How fast was he going? How many red lights did he blow through? How much public danger did HE create? Forget the alleged perp. What about the cop's driving?

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Notice his ONE HAND on the wheel? Notice his lack of checking the intersections? High speed bump car driving like this really gets my goat. I did not watch to the end. At what point did the COP DECIDE TO KILL THE DRIVER?

Respectfully ...

When the murderer he was chasing started shooting at him, I am pretty sure. He was also driving at speed to keep contact with said fleeing murderer. The public danger was already there. A 3 or 5 alarm fire is a wholely different animal than a fleeing killer willing to shoot at police from a moving vehicle. The fire isn't going anywhere. It may trap or birn people yes, but its far easier for people to get out of harms way of a fire in a fixed location, than that of a mobile murderer.

Autoglass may deflect bullet trajectory, but its not magically going to throw rounds 45 or 90 degrees off center. Deflection is a few degrees in typically a vertical orientation. This killer was a huge publuc safety risk himself, moreso than any fire, and he needed to be stopped. Could things have been done different? Of course. But its a dangerous world, the cop has a dangerous job, and he did what he did to minimize the dangers. He could've pulled a Broward County and nope'd out, but he didn't, and things ended as well as they could've given the circumstances. No bystanders were hurt, and a murderous thug was removed from the gene pool.

Kudos to the officer for managing all the tasks at hand, including staying alive! Won't comment on shooting though the windshield as I'm not familiar with his departments policies.

I will say this, he's as tenacious as a pit bull, regaining the lead in the pursuit, pitting himself in harms way, stopping the chase and neutralizing the threat, all without causing civilian collateral damage.

Give that officer a key to the city, he deserves a commendation as far as I'm concerned. Happy it all turned out well for the good guys...

Just for the record, if I were in his place, my cell would be buzzing like crazy... "Honey don't forget to pick up milk and bread on your way home"... The wife's timing is always uncanny...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top