JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Elk Steak is what's for dinner...

555657CF-B1D7-4FCB-80DD-DC66370D7955.jpeg

The Riverside Inn in Maupin makes a to-die-for top sirloin steak. I don't know where they get them, but you can cut them with a fork. Side dish is flame roasted poblano peppers layered with scalloped potatoes. They make their own bleu cheese dressing for the dinner salads, which is the best I've ever had. It's 10 minutes from the ranch when I'm there for deer season, but I've considered going to dinner there from here in Eugene. It's that good.

Last Edited:
I love this thread!

I've yet to run into a vegan that eats with the gusto I see here!!

Their pallid appetite and rabbit food makes me almost feel sorry for them...almost.

MEAT !!! Just meat...I don't care what it is, as long as it's, burned brown on the outside and pink on the inside.
You can have your old, "Tastes like whatever you smear it with", fish. Ech !
The Carnivore in me needs meat. Face bigsmyl.gif

Haha. As I actually like to cook, and we both have careers, the two adults make dinners depending on the day. There is a running joke since at least the eastern Oregon era when I cook up a nice steak dinner, we sit, and I say in the silly voice "Don't you wish you were a vegan?" The answers is varying degrees of saltiness "God no!" :s0112:

I've had more steak this year than I had in the previous 10, due to my weightloss push. I have done a hard right on my steak preferences.

I used to be a well-done or medium-well guy. I'd tell the chef if I was eating out to burn the damn thing, because anything less would be damn near rare (I was cheap and eating Shari's and Denny's steaks, not Fogo)

Growing up, there was no "how do you want your steak" in our house - it was burned, and you'd damn well eat it.

Buuuut, this year I've been doing basically dirty keto - bigly on the meat & veg, cutting out most of the processed, carb laden garbage. Buying higher quality food - not the low quality "food" except when fundage got tight.

I'm a meat bargain hunter, I won't buy beef when it's over $4 a lb, otherwise I'd be losing weight thru starvation, not proper nutrition... but every week or two, Winco has been dropping beef prices, depending on cut, to between $3 and $4 per pound, and you can get tri tip roasts for reasonable prices, as well as top and bottom round roasts. I have been cutting my own steaks off of roasts except when they have pre-cut pieces at reasonable-to-my-budget prices. I cut them 1 to 1.5" thick and have really come to appreciate a medium steak.

I do simple season on the meat - kosher salt and black pepper. Cook it in a ripping hot cast iron skillet about 5 minutes per side depending on thickness. I alternate between real butter, or olive oil in the skillet. Alternately, if I haven't used up all my lump coal, we'll grill the steaks over real hardwood charcoal. I don't do the pressed sand blocks crap.

I make pan-sauces because A1 sauce, tho delicious to me, is mostly HFCS and that sh1t is a no-go for me. So my simple pan sauce would be:

Throw a big pad of butter in the skillet after removing the beef, a dash more black pepper. A couple glugs of Worcestershire sauce, and if wife & kid have any grape juice, I'll throw a single cap full (roughly 1.5 table spoons) of grape juice in the pan and tiny-whisk it together so the flavors get to know each other, then pour over the beef while its resting.

I don't do potatoes much anymore, nor rice, I usually have a green veg side - broccoli is my favorite, my next favorite is the "Riviera Blend" of green beans and baby carrots (I give most of the carrots to the wife or kiddo), and we'll occasionally do asparagus. Wife and I both like asparagus, despite the stinky after effects. Sautee'd mushrooms are a favorite side too.

When we have gone out for a celebratory dinner and I get a steak, T-bones are my favored steak.

I really want an immersion cooker to play with, because it opens up a lot of possibilities.

I'd eat a 5 pound steak cooked well done with a1 sauce 5 years past expiration over going vegan.

My brother went vegan and raves about the flavor! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Every fake food dish I've tried tastes like flavored sawdust or cardboard. :( I'd have to be pretty blasted to enjoy it. Hey, maybe that is the secret!!!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews