JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One more thing....It drives me nuts people calling a rib steak a "Rib Eye". I wish they'd quit! A "Rib Eye" steak does not have a bone in it. If you want to call it "Rib eye, bone in", I guess, but it sounds dumb.

From Wikipedia:

A rib steak is a beef steak sliced from the rib primal of a beef animal, with rib bone attached. In the United States, the term rib eye steak or Spencer steak is used for a rib steak with the bone removed; however in some areas, and outside the U.S., the terms are often used interchangeably. The rib eye or "ribeye" was originally, as the name implies, the center best portion of the rib steak, without the bone.

In Australia and New Zealand, "ribeye" is used when this cut is served with the bone in. With the bone removed, it is called "Scotch fillet".

I call them ribeyes, and if there's no bone I call them boneless ribeyes.

P

1 1/2 thick New York. Smoked for an hour +, seared and left pink inside. I use Spike & coffee for my rub but lightly ....
Sometimes, if it's not marbled enough, I may let the meat bathe in wine & soy sauce for a bit.The acid in the soy/wine breaks down the meat. Bring all meat up to room temp before grilling to allow the meat to relax. Then let rest after grilling, covered, for about 5 mins before serving...mmmmmmmmm
Great thread and good recipes here..:s0159:

Last Edited:
I like a good ribeye or T-bone. A good new york strip is hard to beat too though. All cooked to medium rare with salt, pepper, and a little hot olive oil on top.

+1 on the standing rib roast. My ancient MIL raised in Nuremburg always has the butcher cut the roast from the ribs and tie it back on with string for roasting. Red in the center, fading to pink toward the edges and crusty outside. Killer.
For steaks, her T bone on a cast iron skillet will rival or surpass any cut I've had in any good restaurant.
Simple mad skills with the basics. My grill sits idle and cold on the deck when she comes over.

My dad loved steak also. We weren't poor, but definitely on the lower side of middle class*. Raised Catholic, so Fridays was fish. Mom rarely got the good cuts of fish, so I had fish sticks and tuna casserole (with potato chips in it). With peas. To this day I HATE fish sticks and cat-food casserole, and especially peas.

But when we had steak, it was generally a 1" chuck steak. Dad would sprinkle it with garlic salt and then bbq it close over a bed of hot briquettes. Charcoal flavor, yum! The fat was burned (I love charred beef fat) and the steak was browned on the outside and medium rare on the inside.

Today, I really can't afford steak, but sometimes I find an affordable one in the discount bin at Safeway (never buy meat at Walmart!!!). I prefer ribeye or t-bone but anything will do really. I buy some chuck steak, can't believe it's $5.99/lb, but don't generally buy round steak, it's too lean and too tough. I like my steak just like dad cooked it only I like it bloody rare. Just spank it on each side and throw it on the plate!

For a great steak try this.... thin diamond cut ribeye or filet mignon, very hot cast iron pan over gas flame, carmelize real butter/garlic, flash cook steak 1 or 2 min on each side, pour whiskey over the meat and drip into live flame, take pan off heat, shake til flame goes out, serve. = steak flambe

* (Edit: We would have been solidly in the middle class, since my dad worked for AT&T, but as a heathen in order to marry my Catholic mom he had to agree to put his 3 sons thru Catholic school. It couldn't have been cheap. )

Last Edited:
To this day I HATE fish sticks and cat-food casserole, and especially peas.

This ^^ made me LOL. I DO like tuna casserole though. It's one of the 4-5 things Wifey does cook good. But I'm gonna use the "Catfood Casserole" if'n you don't mind. :D

This ^^ made me LOL. I DO like tuna casserole though. It's one of the 4-5 things Wifey does cook good. But I'm gonna use the "Catfood Casserole" if'n you don't mind. :D

I never could eat tuna out of a can until I discovered whole white tuna packed in water. No chunk light for me. Cuz when I lived in Brookings we bought fresh tuna off the boat... those dark parts were the stuff that tuna processors threw away!!! Try fresh tuna, you'll never go back to canned!!!

When I was a kid, my stepdad would tease us and say we'd have cat food and mayonnaise for dinner. It took me until adulthood to realize he was referring to to tuna sandwiches.

When I was a kid, my stepdad would tease us and say we'd have cat food and mayonnaise for dinner. It took me until adulthood to realize he was referring to to tuna sandwiches.

:s0140:

Hey, my dad would serve up things like hot dogs fried in ketchup, with leftover mashed potatoes and burned fried cabbage, when mom had gone to, as he called it, "Hen Party", and he had to cook dinner. Only once did he sneak kidney in with the chicken hearts and gizzards though. :confused:

I never could eat tuna out of a can until I discovered whole white tuna packed in water. No chunk light for me. Cuz when I lived in Brookings we bought fresh tuna off the boat... those dark parts were the stuff that tuna processors threw away!!! Try fresh tuna, you'll never go back to canned!!!
Always loved the tuna sandwiches. Hated when they took the oil out of the cans. Now? Nothing but the 7 ounce Kirkland white albacore. One huge lump of pure tuna. I'd still prefer that in oil though. Not that soupy crap at .59 a can that looks like clean-up off the killing floors at the processors!

But because it's relevant, and sh!thead who can't spell his own name called me out...here it goes......:D

As a kid we grew up poor. My dad HAD to have his steak and potatoes. So my mom, being frugal as hell, would go to the grocery store and shop for steak in the expired/marked down/cheapest POS section. She would buy the worst cut that had turned gray and had an orange 75% off sticker on it.

Now, she was also a germaphobe (I am to a degree as well). So she would bring it home and "cook" it until it was burnt. I mean REALLY burnt. The fat would literally be black and crusty.

Again, we were poor. So my mom also had a rule that we kids couldn't get up until the plate was CLEAN. Completely clean. That meant trimming the burnt fat, gristle and other unedible parts wasn't allowed So we had to eat every freaking part of this burnt up piece of roadkill called "steak".

It ruined me for many years. Even to this day steak fat is hard for me to get down.

There, now you all know. Thanks bigmouth @No_Regerts

:rolleyes: :p
Dude you too!?

I ain't alone!

:s0140:

Hey, my dad would serve up things like hot dogs fried in ketchup, with leftover mashed potatoes and burned fried cabbage, when mom had gone to, as he called it, "Hen Party", and he had to cook dinner. Only once did he sneak kidney in with the chicken hearts and gizzards though. :confused:
That reminds me of the night my stepdad wanted to make chili and cornbread, and realized we had no cornbread mix. He made pancakes instead, topped them with chili and cheese, and called them "Mexican pancakes".

One step before that is Hawaiian Poke
Hawaiian-Ahi-Poke-1.jpg

A place by me is across the street from the docks. Cant get more fresh than that

Singed and rare in the middle. The more you cook the less the flavor. Kinda like real cold beer. The colder the beer, the less the taste. Garage temperature beer and make it a really good craft beer to set off the steak. Love to eat. I think this is what they must serve in heaven. Good taco's a close second.

From Wikipedia:

A rib steak is a beef steak sliced from the rib primal of a beef animal, with rib bone attached. In the United States, the term rib eye steak or Spencer steak is used for a rib steak with the bone removed; however in some areas, and outside the U.S., the terms are often used interchangeably. The rib eye or "ribeye" was originally, as the name implies, the center best portion of the rib steak, without the bone.

In Australia and New Zealand, "ribeye" is used when this cut is served with the bone in. With the bone removed, it is called "Scotch fillet".

I call them ribeyes, and if there's no bone I call them boneless ribeyes.

P

When I'm in Australia during our annual holiday over there, I be lovin' me some bacon wrapped Scotch Fillet!!!

:s0023:

BTW- it's pronounced "fill-ette", not "fill-aye".... it's the same at McD's for a "fill-ette" o' fish sandwich. Years ago, my Aussie wife laughed her arse off at me the first time when I ordered a "fill-aye o' fish" sandwich.... and of course the young gal behind the counter taking my order joined in with my wife as they "took the pi$$ outta the uncivilized yank".

:rolleyes::s0140:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads