JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I'm in Australia during our annual holiday over there, I be lovin' me some bacon wrapped Scotch Fillet!!!

:s0023:

BTW- it's pronounced "fill-ette", not "fill-aye".... it's the same at McD's for a "fill-ette" o' fish sandwich. Years ago, my Aussie wife laughed her arse off at me the first time when I ordered a "fill-aye o' fish" sandwich.... and of course the young gal behind the counter taking my order joined in with my wife as they "took the pi$$ outta the uncivilized yank".

:rolleyes::s0140:
Aussie women be like that.
Here's my new Aussie wife...
Jessica.png

The Aussie talk reminds me of one time my ma was driving my cousin from Oz back to the airport. It was a hot, August day and the aforementioned madre asked "Would you like a pop?" Cousin said "I beg your pardon?" Turns out our friends down under, at least according to my relation, call soft drinks "a lemonade", even if they are talking about a Coke. Apparently the question was taken as if she wanted to be punched. :s0112:

Okay, here goes.

I actually prefer my steaks cut thinner than most. Sometimes as thin as 1/2 inch.

Mrs. Merkt and I are some of those rare (pardon the pun) birds who like ours cooked through. These days, I like medium well. Don't like to eat raw meat. So having the cut thin, it's easier to get it cooked through.

As a kid we grew up poor. My dad HAD to have his steak and potatoes. So my mom, being frugal as hell, would go to the grocery store and shop for steak in the expired/marked down/cheapest POS section. She would buy the worst cut that had turned gray and had an orange 75% off sticker on it.

I still do this, Fred Meyer has the discounted meat section which I always check. I won't buy the grey stuff, though. Also, I wont' buy past-date chicken or pork. Just beef. Sometimes we get some pretty fancy cuts from the discount bin. They get there because they are expensive enough that other people won't buy them and they get timed out. I've got the money I need now but that hasn't always been the case. Long habits die hard.

When I was a kid, Cole's Market took their older cuts and powdered them with that red-orange marinade, remember that stuff? The marinate gambit eliminated the grey look.

i dont eat asparagus anymore. the trade off isnt worth it. my pee smells way too bad afterwards

Universal truth.

I marinate mine, yeah I know, we like it that way though.

When we barbeque, Mrs. Merkt often does this. She makes a marinade concoction; the meat goes into a bag of it and stays there overnight.

BTW- it's pronounced "fill-ette", not "fill-aye"...

In Oz, nougat candy bars are popular. I said, "NEW-gut" and was corrected to their pronunciation of, "new-GAH." So that Frenchy-French thing goes both ways.

"Would you like a pop?"

When I was growing up, it was called a "can of pop." When I was in the army, it was called a "can of soda."

I enjoy all kinds of beef cuts. One of my favorites is flank steak. Mrs. Merkt cooks it "Bavarian style." Rolled up with some kind of potato stuffing in the center, slow cooked. Comes with a lovely brown gravy with cooked onions. It doesn't last long. When I was a kid, beef flank steak was one of the cheaper cuts. Not now. Only two per cow, I guess someone figured out that it was "rare."

Speaking of the meat department. When I was a kid, we always had cats around. There was canned cat food available, unlike what is called cat food today. But it cost money like everything else. So my mom would go to the butcher's counter and get him to come out. From somewhere in the back, they had raw, ground horse meat for some cheap price like 20 cents a pound. We'd take it home and my mom would cook it up in a Wear-ever aluminum pan for a few hours. Oy-yoi-yoi, would that stink up the whole house while cooking. But the kitties seemed to like it. After cooking it went into the fridge and when cool a thick skin of horse fat would form on top. The cats ate that too.

My mom saved cooking fat, like bacon grease, etc. Every once in a while, she'd take it to the butcher counter and they'd pay her like a nickel a pound for it.

+1 on the standing rib roast. My ancient MIL raised in Nuremburg always has the butcher cut the roast from the ribs and tie it back on with string for roasting. Red in the center, fading to pink toward the edges and crusty outside. Killer.
For steaks, her T bone on a cast iron skillet will rival or surpass any cut I've had in any good restaurant.
Simple mad skills with the basics. My grill sits idle and cold on the deck when she comes over.
Standing rib roast is always Christmas dinner, just as you described, Red center fading to pink out to the edges, crunchy on the outside.

So she would bring it home and "cook" it until it was burnt. I mean REALLY burnt. The fat would literally be black and crusty.

You just described how I request my steak cooked.....

I'm the guy that jumps for joy at burnt cookies, biscuits, steak, veggies.... If it's burnt I'll probably like it.

Pretty sure with all the carcinogens I've eaten in my lifetime I'm gonna die of cancer one day.

I also like super spicy things.

I have no tastbuds left

:D

@Kruel J , my mom was raised on a farm in Connecticut back around the time of the Great Depression... they were poor. The kind of poor where the only shoes she had were her going to school shoes. They even made their own soap out of lye and ashes. The woman was absolutely paranoid about getting worms from meat... any kind of meat. The burgers she fried, when dad didn't bbq, were like tiny hockey pucks. The eggs the same. A pork chop was as hard as the plate. Fish, we were Catholic, was like fillet of sole... the sole of a shoe!

So I loved Dad's bbq, and I loved his weekend breakfast, where the hash browns were the only thing cooked hard, the bacon was just right, and the eggs were runny. :D

Last Edited:
I guarantee that you haven't tried this steak before, and your life isn't complete until you do.

Go to the butcher and ask for a Picanha / Culotte / Very top of the sirloin. It's a triangular cut with a fat cap on it.

Crosshatch the fat cap at about 1/4" gaps or slightly smaller.

Coat the whole damn thing in sal grosso. You cannot use enough salt.

Smoke that meat low and slow until it's medium rare. Bring it inside to a cast iron skillet that is as hot as you can get it. Char the outside, all sides including the fat (reverse sear method).

Let sit. Then enjoy.

You're welcome.

I guarantee that you haven't tried this steak before, and your life isn't complete until you do.

Go to the butcher and ask for a Picanha / Culotte / Very top of the sirloin. It's a triangular cut with a fat cap on it.

Crosshatch the fat cap at about 1/4" gaps or slightly smaller.

Coat the whole damn thing in sal grosso. You cannot use enough salt.

Smoke that meat low and slow until it's medium rare. Bring it inside to a cast iron skillet that is as hot as you can get it. Char the outside, all sides including the fat (reverse sear method).

Let sit. Then enjoy.

You're welcome.

Dude! I'm supposed to go to the butcher and ask for Picante Culo???? I hope it's a gal and not a guy... either way :oops:

Dude! I'm supposed to go to the butcher and ask for Picante Culo???? I hope it's a gal and not a guy... either way :oops:

Well, if your butcher knows about Brazilian Churrasco, then he'll know the cut as Picanha. If not, then he'll know the cut as Culotte. And if he doesn't know that, then describe it as the Top Sirloin subprimal or the triangular shaped cap or Biceps femoris muscle that covers the main body of the Top Sirloin.

It's incredibly juicy and is quite lean, save for the fat cap on top. I've cooked it low and slow and also hot and fast (over 700 degrees actually) - and the smoke it slow then reverse sear method has produced the best experience.

Prepped w/ Sal Grosso
IMG_5572.JPG

Smoked and seared:
57576989623__D0C0DFE6-70AD-48AF-AE8E-8BD3012004EE.JPG

All that juice. That's *after* resting. Tender and delicious.
57577111169__52A12400-4716-4154-A3AE-40BFEE0FDA39.JPG

Well, if your butcher knows about Brazilian Churrasco, then he'll know the cut as Picanha. If not, then he'll know the cut as Culotte. And if he doesn't know that, then describe it as the Top Sirloin subprimal or the triangular shaped cap or Biceps femoris muscle that covers the main body of the Top Sirloin.

It's incredibly juicy and is quite lean, save for the fat cap on top. I've cooked it low and slow and also hot and fast (over 700 degrees actually) - and the smoke it slow then reverse sear method has produced the best experience.

Prepped w/ Sal Grosso
View attachment 627757

Smoked and seared:
View attachment 627759

All that juice. That's *after* resting. Tender and delicious.
View attachment 627758

Looks good! But the last time my Hispanic buddy suggested I order the Chili Verga, the waitress about peed laughing. ;)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews