JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am going to try my luck at some basic gardening skills, next year. Most of these efforts will be at my off grid (no on-site water sources) vacation property.

I am hoping that we have some experienced gardners, farmers, ranchers food plot hunters, pondkeepers, etc that will share some of their wisdom on this thread.

A priority for next year is to put in some plants or crops that don't require any babysitting. I have planted a number of bulbs over the years and they have successfully come up but don't seem to multiply like I thought they would.

I would like some suggestions on other perennial items I could plant that animals would like to eat. I won't be around to water or care for them after planting. Grass does well there and grows pretty tall if I let it, 3+ft easy. I was thinking about trying some alfalfa, winter rye or maybe wheat.

I am also hoping to successfully plant some deciduous trees that are prolific at putting up suckers, maybe a type of cherry tree. I won't be there to water them but had this idea to stretch the snowmelt water farther into spring.

My steeply pitched cabin roof sheds snow on to dripline. That piled up snow sometimes last throughout May on the North side. If I leaned some steel roof panels sloped down towards the North, it should build up a pile of snow and shade that pile as well. If I have trees planted next to snow pile the melt off might be enough to get trees started.

I could add a slow drip system for later in the summer when the topsoil starts to dry out. For the slow drip system, I want to try using a 55gallon drum feeding a short length of drip hose. It would be purely gravity fed with very small holes poked into drip line. I have a 275gal IBC I could use if the 55gal drum proved inadequate.

Fruit/Nut Tree info for Klamath County region.

Selecting bare root trees.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews