JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tri-tip
Marinated for a day in L&P whatitshear sauce, McCormick grill mates, and chopped up garlic.
Hot and fast over charcoal until the outside is burnt and the inside hits 145 exactly!

Wrap in foil and let sit for about 10 minutes then cut on a bias into strips about 1/2" thick... if done right...in the bottom of the plate will be a fair amount of juice that the strips can soak in...

Then... for a dipping sauce...I take about 1/3 cup of lighthouse chunky blue cheese dressing, and pour in some L&Ps whartsthishere sause... heat up the mixture and enjoy!

OR
Bone in Ribeye
Again.. grillmates and L&Ps...
I pour the sauce over and stab it in with a fork then coat in grillmates..
Hot heat...Burnt fat, rare side of medium rare.. the dogs love ribeye night!

I usually serve with garlic mash potatoes covered with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and sour cream, and asparagus spears.

Alas... I'm the only non vegetarian in my house now... so Steak night doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to:(

"Lighthouse chunky blue cheese dressing" is wonderful stuff and goes great on baked potatoes or try some cream cheese with chives/onions and butter on baked potatoes.

Goes good with steak or just by itself.

Oh yeah, with French bread and garlic butter sauce with a bottle of crisp, dry white wine.

I was always grossed out by the thought of escargo. Wife and I used to joke about the neighbor in Brookings that we could see picking slug every morning... Yum!! Not.

Anyway, I kept seeing them on the dinner menu of several cruise ships we were on. Since there was no extra cost one time I decided to be extra adventurous and had them bring me a serving. It was 3 or 5, not sure. Heavy garlic and butter. Tasted great but the texture... not so much. Kinda like eating snails. Not something I'd do again since we stopped cruising with the last unpleasant cruise we were on.

I do love cerviche and sushi. But once I tried the sea urchin.... UGH! Slimy, bitter, nasty stuff!!! But baked eel is very good. And Tobiko with raw quail egg is the supreme treat!!!

Whatever is on sale at Chucks Produce. I also like the vacuume packed skirt steak and flank steak at Safeway.

The trick is marinating and cooking it correctly.

I use McCormick montreal steak marinade, and cook in a med-high cast iron skillet with lots of butter. I usually deglaze the skillet with white white, onions and garlic and more butter, and serve that over the steak.
Toast some Cumin Seeds, Fennel Seeds and Peppercorns in a dry pan, coarsely grind in a spice grinder, rub on the flank or skirt steak with some salt. Sear in a super hot pan or grill about a minute each side rest about 5 minutes and slice. Makes great tacos, or served over sweet potatoes, or just by itself with some sauteed peppers and onions.

My brother went vegan and raves about the flavor! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Every fake food dish I've tried tastes like flavored sawdust or cardboard. :( I'd have to be pretty blasted to enjoy it. Hey, maybe that is the secret!!!

Nah the trick is: don't eat fake meat.

No seriously. I went vegan for $hits and giggles a long while ago and lasted 2 years, give or take.

There's quite a bit you can do if you cook ethnically: Mexican, Moroccan, Indian, Japanese, Thai - Eastern Euro as well.

But yea...you go for that fake meat crap...you're going to have a bad time.

Been there. Done that. Won't do it again.

Nah the trick is: don't eat fake meat.

No seriously. I went vegan for $hits and giggles a long while ago and lasted 2 years, give or take.

There's quite a bit you can do if you cook ethnically: Mexican, Moroccan, Indian, Japanese, Thai - Eastern Euro as well.

But yea...you go for that fake meat crap...you're going to have a bad time.

Been there. Done that. Won't do it again.

Dear God, I hate quinoa! And cauliflower rice, cauliflower pizza crust, or cauliflower anything else!

All those fancy spice dishes still taste like lipstick on a pig to me. :(

Dear God, I hate quinoa! And cauliflower rice, cauliflower pizza crust, or cauliflower anything else!

I like Quinoa
2017020613_corsair_quinoa_whiskey_original.png

But my philosophy for food is don't try to make something, something that it isn't. Instead of cauliflower rice just make roasted cauliflower.

I actually like kwinoa. And kale. And a kwinoa kale salad made with red onions, cranberries and toasted pepitas. Ad a sweetish balsamic vinaigrette. Good eats. The thing that's unnerving about kwinoa is after it's cooked it looks like a little coiled worm in a sac Oh yeah, the price. I'm not going to pay them the stupid price for damned weed seeds!

Cauliflower cooked needs to have a cheese sauce. Or breaded and deep fried with ranch dressing. Or raw w/seasoned salt/ ranch.

I actually like kwinoa. And kale. And a kwinoa kale salad made with red onions, cranberries and toasted pepitas. Ad a sweetish balsamic vinaigrette. Good eats. The thing that's unnerving about kwinoa is after it's cooked it looks like a little coiled worm in a sac Oh yeah, the price. I'm not going to pay them the stupid price for damned weed seeds!

Cauliflower cooked needs to have a cheese sauce. Or breaded and deep fried with ranch dressing. Or raw w/seasoned salt/ ranch.

:):)

They say that quinoa takes on the flavor of whatever you put on it. So I wonder to myself... why don't I just eat that??? ;)

They say that quinoa takes on the flavor of whatever you put on it.

They say that about a LOT of things. Seems like no-brainer to me. You have something that has little or no flavor. Put ketchup on it and what will it taste like? You guessed it!

I like eating stuff like that because it's a GOOD thing. Greens, good for you. When it comes to things like kale, collards, mustard greens, they taste fine but a lot of the enjoyment is the goodness they provide....That and I'm probably imagining that it helps make up for bacon, ham, sausage, hamburgers, french fries ,tater tots, pizza, potato chips. :s0157:

I like eating stuff like that because it's a GOOD thing. Greens, good for you. When it comes to things like kale, collards, mustard greens, they taste fine but a lot of the enjoyment is the goodness they provide....That and I'm probably imagining that it helps make up for bacon, ham, sausage, hamburgers, french fries ,tater tots, pizza, potato chips.

At 67, I'm still looking for that enjoyment. When I was a kid, I hated most veggies... fed them under the table to the dog. I've not grown out of that childish habit of not eating what I don't like the taste of...

" bacon, ham, sausage, hamburgers, french fries ,tater tots, pizza, potato chips."

NOW we're talkin!!! :D

Try making that quinoa with a flavored base like beef or chicken, might be surprised at how it turns out. The wife makes it regularly, part of her diet, being from the land of ancient grains and all, so we've learned ways to make it more palatable for me.

I eat mostly healthy foods these days. Lots of hard boiled eggs, vegetables, string cheese, lean meats, nuts and water.

I haven't eaten a hamburger, french fries, tater tots, potato chips or anything like it in months. :)

:):)

They say that quinoa takes on the flavor of whatever you put on it. So I wonder to myself... why don't I just eat that??? ;)

Quinoa is a seed of a tall, leafy plant that is not a cereal grass...making it a sort of pseudo grain (like buckwheat). To me it's got a light nutty flavor on its own that is easily overpowered by even the addition of a cooking fat. It's got all 9 essential amino acids, is low GI, contains more fiber than yellow corn, and contains a good amount of minerals (data: Quinoa 101: Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits).

The Incan empire literally ran on this stuff. Ironically, it was the "food of the poor" in South America up until it became the hot new thing in the US. Supply and demand caused it's price to jump way higher than it should be in a stable market. Prices are down now from ~2015 but still over double what they were in ~2008.

I'm with @Mikej on this one. It's a good for you food that you can cook to bring out it's own subtle flavors or use to add some nutrient value to something else. I highly recommend it. But, yea...paying exorbitant prices for peasant food is a bit ridiculous.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top