JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a question.
Who do you get to carry it for you? Looks heavy.

yeah, cool rifle but I wouldn't want to hump it on steep ground for very long .....and the ammo to feed it......and I hike heavy crap for a living.....well I more point my finger these days lol
every time I shoot one of those thoroughly enjoy it, but am always surprised at the heft they possess.....last one I shot was the madest brass throwing rifle I ever shot......the brass looked unreloadable after it bounced off stuff, the brass alone will kill a man....the right arm of the free world !

After leaving Cali, and spending time renting at the Clackamas PSC, I decided a 1911 was a good fit for me. After talking to several of the workers there, the consensus was that Kimber was the "best" in terms of quality. I dropped the grand and while I have wondered whether I overspent....I have to say that I have never had a misfire or jam after probably 3k+ rpounds with mostly cheap ammo and no serious maintainence. I am lazy at times when it comes to cleaning and maintaining firearms. Buying quality means you can be lazy and not have a failure. Buy cheaper and you end up paying more in the long run.

In the business world, we're taught that quality is free. If you pay too much, you've lost a little money. Big deal. It's replaceable. If you pay too little, you may lose the entire investment and more if what you purchased fails to do the job you wanted.

Last Edited:
My H&K clone is a Century, and I have to say that I'm a bit wary due to it. I replaced the rollers with H&K factory ones, and have acquired other spare innards should there be a problem, but so far, it has been good.
The G3 platform is lighter and quicker to shoulder and obtain a sight picture than my FALs, and accuracy is acceptable. I still have not found a semi-auto .308/7.62NATO rifle that I'm 100% happy with, but I would feel fine carrying this rifle into combat. I just hope the Century Arms reputation for hit/miss quality doesn't give me bad luck.....

Man! Your scope is mounted too high!

After leaving Cali, and spending time renting at the Clackamas PSC, I decided a 1911 was a good fit for me. After talking to several of the workers there, the consensus was that Kimber was the "best" in terms of quality. I dropped the grand and while I have wondered whether I overspent....I have to say that I have never had a misfire or jam after probably 3k+ rpounds with mostly cheap ammo and no serious maintainence. I am lazy at times when it comes to cleaning and maintaining firearms. Buying quality means you can be lazy and not have a failure. Buy cheaper and you end up paying more in the long run.

In the business world, we're taught that quality is free. If you pay too much, you've lost a little money. Big deal. It's replaceable. If you pay too little, you may lose the entire investment and more if what you purchased fails to do the job you wanted.

You did well getting a Kimber. Mine have been flawless in every way.

My H&K clone is a Century, and I have to say that I'm a bit wary due to it. I replaced the rollers with H&K factory ones, and have acquired other spare innards should there be a problem, but so far, it has been good.
The G3 platform is lighter and quicker to shoulder and obtain a sight picture than my FALs, and accuracy is acceptable. I still have not found a semi-auto .308/7.62NATO rifle that I'm 100% happy with, but I would feel fine carrying this rifle into combat. I just hope the Century Arms reputation for hit/miss quality doesn't give me bad luck.....

Glad you got a good one. Have you kept a log of the bolt gap? Very important

Years ago, I bought a S&W Shorty Forty from S&W's performance center.
It was a custom gun, with hand fitted parts.
It was fairly expensive but I liked it.

I understand that when HK discontinues a model, they stop making repair parts for it, leaving HK owners in the lurch.

There are several HK models that I would like to have.

The parts thing is true but the 91 series roller locks are now being manufactured in the USA and there are US parts makers, plus a steady surplus parts supply from nations who sold off their G3s. 20 rd mags are as cheap as $1 each. I recently bought a 100 pack and got at least 30 of them in brand new condition for $1.50 each

Glad you got a good one. Have you kept a log of the bolt gap? Very important

No, I must admit I haven't. Good idea!

The parts thing is true but the 91 series roller locks are now being manufactured in the USA and there are US parts makers, plus a steady surplus parts supply from nations who sold off their G3s. 20 rd mags are as cheap as $1 each. I recently bought a 100 pack and got at least 30 of them in brand new condition for $1.50 each

Good to know.

Wow, it's amazing how people can be complete dicks about answering simple non loaded questions. We're all here because we love firearms, no wonder the out-side world thinks we're all elitist.

Isn't it so much more satisfying to have someone hanging on your informative answer, than looking at you funny, as you dole out sarcasm or spite-filled quips because you think someone is questioning your man(woman)hood

Reminds of the guys that hang around the gun store counter every nearly ever spare second they have. Bestowing upon us their vast knowledge of all things firearms, whether we ask or not.

I have two USPs (.40) and I have shot my friend's Kimber 1911 (Aegis?).

I had a Glock22, and after about 500 rounds, my hand's didn't do well with it's ergonomics.
I tried the USP and it felt much better in my hand. I looked at the gunshow and bought a used one from NW-Armory for $480 including the background check. I found a new threaded barrel on here, bought it, and now I have a USP-Tactical (tacticool?) for less than $600. I'm sure there are some HK purists that would dispute that, but it's what I want. From a pure satisfaction standpoint, I'm much happier with it, simply due to the ergonomics. It also has a more solid feel, the additional weight absorbs some of the recoil and the ergos distribute that better into my hand/forearm.

While shooting the Glock, my buddy Mitch offered to let me shoot his 1911. I'd never shot one, so I tried. Compared to the Glock (and also the USP) the trigger was very smooth, and in spite of it being a bigger round, the perceived recoil was less, and my accuracy was pretty good after 1-magazine of adjusting to it. It was well constructed, smooth slide, very smooth and straight pull trigger. Aesthetically, the 1911 isn't for me, so I won't be buying one. If I am ever in the market, due to changing tastes or winning the super-duper lotto, Kimber would be on the list.

I'd call NW-Armory, as they sometimes have HKs in on Police trade in, etc. Trade-in + new barrel is still less than normal retail new...

I'm no gun expert but have owned several Rugers, Glocks, Smiths.....etc. And from hundreds of reviews I have read they (most) are high quality, proven pistols, all for a reasonable price.

So why is Kimber and H&K so expensive. Just my take but Kimber looks like a pistol that someone living in Beverly Hills (too flashy) would own and I think H&K are just ugly looking guns.

Just curious so I figured I'd let the forum school me in my apparent lack of high $ taste! :huh:

My oldest son got a great deal on a HK USP .40 S&W police trade-in.
I was awed by how well he could shoot it accurately and rapidly with very little practice at all. But when I tried it I couldn't even hit a paper plate with it. I stopped trying after several attempts because I just couldn't get use to the trigger. I still greatly admire the quality and features of the USP but I don't want one.
On the other hand I really love my S&W 5906TSW & 4566TSW & Springfield 1911 9mm.
I might be able to learn to shoot a USP with practice but from my point of view why bother?
I've shot my son's Taurus PT101 .40 S&W way better the very first time than I could with that USP. While that may be sad it's absolutely true.
The USP's higher original cost and better build quality didn't make me feel happy or satisfied at all.

I recently aquired a USP 45 Tactical, and really wanted to hate it so that I could trade up to another 1911. The stupid thing is so much more accurate than my Springfield loaded 1911 that I will probably relegate the Springer to safe queen status for a year or two as penance. The Kimbers I have shot were more accurate than Glocks, and really pretty good for a combat oriented arm, but they weren't the tack drivers that the HK Tactical is. And why are they worth more than Glocks, XDs, M&Ps... Shoot them side by side and you will no longer ask the question, the differences are night and day.

Blitz, any idea where I can find the necessary gauges for measuring the bolt gap? I looked on RTG and another H&K source site, without success.

Yes, any flat feeler gauge set that you can buy at an auto parts store will work. Cock the gun, (be sure it's empty) pull the trigger and insert the feeler between the bolt head and carrier (in the mag well) it should be from .020 to .006, and it should not drop until you have shot thousands of rounds. Essential parts are oversize rollers (+2/+4/+6,etc) and pins for them

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top