JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm no gun expert but have owned several Rugers, Glocks, Smiths.....etc. And from hundreds of reviews I have read they (most) are high quality, proven pistols, all for a reasonable price.

So why is Kimber and H&K so expensive. Just my take but Kimber looks like a pistol that someone living in Beverly Hills (too flashy) would own and I think H&K are just ugly looking guns.

Just curious so I figured I'd let the forum school me in my apparent lack of high $ taste! :huh:

I look at it like a BMW or Mercedes of the gun world. Yes there are cheaper cars that will do the job and are well built but some people are drawn to the finer things. Some are just to show and brag up there accomplishments and others over leverage there finances to have the look. But with some quality companies you will get a finer made piece. That is one of the last freedoms we retain. I personally have fifty dollar single shot shotgun clunkers to some moderately good quality stuff but I have to find a reason to spend the extra money on the latter. I have a pretty good stock of Steyr firearms and feel there worth every penny.

I am a Quality Assurance Manager by trade and the old adage of "You get what you pay for" generally holds true in firearms (but not always). In the case of the HK look up their torture testing and you will see some amazing stuff like intentionally blocking the barrel with a spud round then firing another round. The dang thing not only didn't blow up it kept working with only a slight bluge in the barrel. I own both HK's and Glocks and they are both fine firearms but when you strip them side by side you will see distinct differences in the quality of the components and how they are made. Something else to think about is buying used to reduce the cost a bit, I look for what I call " Near virgins" which are guns that guys bring home and don't get into the safe before the wife sees them or they are safe queens. I have bought guns in the past that we're as new. Gary

Sounds like the OP has already made up his mind and is sitting back waiting to defend our choices. Kimber over here, by the way. Of course you are free to purchase (or not) the weapon of your choice. I have many guns in my safe, among them XDm. A good carry pistol, but I also shelled out for my Kimber. Does my choice make sense to you? With all due respect, I really don't care.

Actually the original "OP" (myself) has never owned either is not on the attack. I am simply curious what it is about the two makers that people are willing to fork out several hundred extra dollars for. Maybe I am missing out. No need to become defensive just a curious gun lover. As I browsed the handgun ads I always wondered why someone would fork out so much money when there are cheaper quality choices.

I thought the second reply was a good answer.

Defending a particular brand of firearm to one who has stated from the outset they relate to "Beverly Hills" and "expensive" is a futile exercise. People who question why others buy something they are unwilling to commit serious dollars to are not ones with whom I choose to discuss my purchases.

I also own a couple of Harleys. If you have to ask, you will NEVER understand.

Actually the original "OP" (myself) has never owned either is not on the attack. I am simply curious what it is about the two makers that people are willing to fork out several hundred extra dollars for. Maybe I am missing out. No need to become defensive just a curious gun lover. As I browsed the handgun ads I always wondered why someone would fork out so much money when there are cheaper quality choices.

I thought the second reply was a good answer.

Your premise is flawed, to begin with... as I said, Kimbers are NOT expensive. Seriously. They're expensive relative to non-1911 pistols, but they're cheap 1911s. Someone from "Beverly Hills" who knows enough about these things to want a 1911 would order a Wilson Combat Supergrade or entirely custom Govt from one of the popular 1911 customizers, etc... not a MIM Kimber box gun.

The fact that you think $900 or $1000 is expensive for a 1911 shows that you likely have a LOT to learn about guns before your opinion of the accuracy of market valuation can become the basis of a good conversation.

the only H&K I would be willing to fork over the cash, if I could, and if could get in the United States...the MP-5K series, along with possibly the G36..... but people like H&K because of their status as "elite" equipment, because of their reputation of being Fine German Weapons, much like Mauser actions and it IS just like BMW/Mercedes Benz.... and also because they are used by several nations' special forces and prominently featured in games....
Sig Und Sauer's series of rifles is another popular and similarly shaped line, but not priced as high as the H&K rifle line (at least, those HK rifles that made it into the US before the apparent ban?)

Buy once, cry once...
Quality costs. For the price though I would buy an original Colt over a Kimber but that is just my preference. My friend has a Kimber Raptor andits a great pistol. Never owned an HK but they are quality pistols with good form and function. One also has to wonder about manufacturing costs in Germany .

Not a huge fan of HKs poly pistols but I'm a rabid HK C series roller locked nut. No finer battle rifle/carbine/submachine gun has been made IMO. Ask the Navy Seals or hundreds of other elite SFs around the globe

Evltwn, I think you just like to argue. If you dont like how my question was stated, which was one of curiousity then move on and dont respond. Your reading way to far into it!

I think there is a rant and raves section....maybe that is more your taste!

HK C series roller locked No finer battle rifle/carbine/submachine gun has been made IMO. Ask the Navy Seals or hundreds of other elite SFs around the globe

same operation by Spanish CETME...... of which many people turn into G3 look-alikes....and in turn, has been based on the design of the STG45(M) and the MG42... it is of interest that while many people praise the HK series, many also decry the CETME as a "poor man's G3" when in fact, the CETME Model B in 7.62x51 NATO was the basis of the G3 series.

Those without facts usually substitute personal attacks. If you reread my post I included the phrase "with all due respect™ perhaps you should acquaint yourself with the concept.

Wow, it's amazing how people can be complete dicks about answering simple non loaded questions. We're all here because we love firearms, no wonder the out-side world thinks we're all elitist.

Isn't it so much more satisfying to have someone hanging on your informative answer, than looking at you funny, as you dole out sarcasm or spite-filled quips because you think someone is questioning your man(woman)hood

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top