JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, how about something a little, shall we say, gonzo? A thread about the truly big bores we be shoot'n: Fifties. Could be .50 BMG, .50Æ, .500 S&W Magnum, .500 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf, .50 Alaskan, .500 Bushwhacker, .505 Gibbs, .510 Whisper ... come one come all, as long as it is a Five-Oh bore.

I'll get this party started.
cannon1.jpg

I had an X-Frame 5", but apparently that was long enough ago that I don't have any pictures of it!
I kept one loaded round, just because.
This is an internet pic of what I had. I giggled almost every time I pulled the trigger.

Smith-Wesson-500-.500-2-scaled.jpg

How 'bout an old 58 caliber Flintlock.
My original ( 1800- 1820's ) J.Henry Trade Rifle.
Still gets shot and hunted with everyone once in awhile.
Took my last elk with it...the look on the Game Warden's face when he was checking my tags and rifle was priceless...:D
Andy
That's practically a .60 cal! Do you use conical bullets or round ball? Forgive my ignorance on the subject

But COULD you use the conical bullets? Or is there a reason you couldn't other than being period correct?
You could but why...?
Lead round ball was what this was designed for and it works well with it.
Lead round ball is a excellent game getter.

Most conical rifling is also a bit faster than the twist for a round ball gun ( as general rule )
Often conical's won't be as accurate from a round ball rifle...due the slow twist...again as general rule.

Many modern "Traditional " muzzle loaders use a 1-48 twist which is good for both ball or conical.
Andy

You could but why...?
Lead round ball was what this was designed for and it works well with it.
Lead round ball is a excellent game getter.

Most conical rifling is also a bit faster than the the twist for a round ball gun ( as general rule )
Often conical's won't be as accurate from a round ball rifle...due the slow twist...again as general rule.

Many modern "Traditional " muzzle loaders use a 1-48 twist which is good for both ball or conical.
Andy
I was more asking the expert for some knowledge than anything else. And you delivered so thanks for bearing with my uneducated self :)

This got me into hand loading..reloading
12.7/42mm

Edit…. Have changed it to Strike Industries modular fixed stock with longer LoP..
Broke a buffer in it once… switched to H3 for awhile but not necessary. I like the recoil.
IMG_3096.jpeg IMG_3098.jpeg

My .50 experience is limited to the Ma Deuce and its variants. I have experienced tri-pod and ring mounted fifties. And I was trained on the XM213, which was a door mounted fifty on a Huey. We all know what the base Ma Deuce looks like, but the XM213 had a shorter/shrouded barrel with a reticle sight. I've found many articles about the XM213 but I cannot find any photos.

edit: I found a photo...
Specs54.jpg

These old 50's, were unbelievably accurate.

😍

Last Edited:
Tagged, too lazy to get into the safes tonight but have an X Frame in 500 S&W (460 also), single shot 500 S&W rifle, and two Beowulfs. Not opposed to a 50AE but think it doesn't offer anything over what I've got now, always wanted a 44Mag DE.

Well, how about something a little, shall we say, gonzo? A thread about the truly big bores we be shoot'n: Fifties. Could be .50 BMG, .50Æ, .500 S&W Magnum, .500 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf, .50 Alaskan, .500 Bushwhacker, .505 Gibbs, .510 Whisper ... come one come all, as long as it is a Five-Oh bore.

I'll get this party started.
View attachment 1770238
I've always liked that partial-underlugged S&W 500. I should have picked one up when they were in production.

I had one of the first 8-3/8 500 mags off the production line when they were introduced. Sold it when unemployed several years ago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top